Broadhead Selection

If I wasn't shooting swhackers I'd personally use a single bevel fixed blade. I just spend a month or two practicing before the season and really don't want to take anymore time to have to tune broadheads and all that.
I'm a pretty mediocre archer and have spent hardly any time broadhead tuning when using compact fixed heads like QAD exodus, slick trick viper trick, or grim reaper micro hades. Of 4 or 5 bows that I recall, i only remember adjusting the rest slightly on 1 or 2 of them to get them to hit with fixed points beyond any distance i should be shooting at an animal.

Grim Reaper Whitetail special, whitetail extreme, or the Carni four for sitting in a stand or blind
1 3/16 v series Tooth of the Arrow for spot and stalk or heavy brush areas
Wac es or the rage nc are good also
Rage with the collars my cost you a deer one day
Never use mechanicals for spot and stalk
Nothing like drawing and watching a blade fall

Just my experience, +/- $0.02. within the yardage you're speaking of, Tree stand whitetails vs Tree stand blacktails = mute point. I have a simple set up. 52# 28' draw, Easton 2018's, 100 gr Thunder Heads, 200 fps. When I did my part....the knife cut a notch in another tag.

Momentum, Sharp, scent control.

Have a sharp knife...or 3!

I'm in the process of switching back to fixed blades for an elk hunt (mostly used rage's for whitetail in the past). I've narrowed it down to magnus black hornets and slick trick vipers. I'll let you know which one wins out for me in the next few weeks.
sooooooooooooo. how'd you do? picked up some black hornets and got them SCARY sharp, so things might change this fall

sooooooooooooo. how'd you do? picked up some black hornets and got them SCARY sharp, so things might change this fall
Went with the black hornets. I agree on the ability to sharpen them to the point of extreme danger. One word of note, I did feel like because of the larder broadhead / surface area, they did expose some tuning issues in my bow that field tips or mechanicals didn't. So just a word of warning to not wait too long before shooting them. Haven't let one fly on an animal yet, so excited to witness their full capabilities at some point.

I switched to Killer Bee Stinger 2. Double blade fixed. I like them because of how accurate they are for my set up. I'd recommend trying as many as you can afford to see which ones work the best (most accurately) from your bow set up.

Dropped my first buck with the Magnusen Killer Bee Stinger 2 last week. Blades were nicked up pretty good (one miss, one hit). Emailed the company about blade replacement yesterday (Saturday) and got a response today. They're sending me new blades. Excellent customer service.

I mainly archery hunt elk and always swore I would never use a mechanical broadhead but finally decided to try Grim Reapers last year. First off it was great to be able to have 100% consistent arrow flight. I've always struggled a little with that with fixed blade heads no matter how much tuning I did. As long as my form is perfect Slick Tricks and Shuttle T's fly well but any little error on my part and it is greatly exaggerated. I decided accuracy was most important (along with shooting a proven mechanical) and I'm happy I switched.

I made a perfect shot on an elk with a Shuttle T years ago and ended up taking 8 hours to find it due to zero blood trail. It turned out fine as the elk was still good but it was frustrating. The blood trail from the Grim Reaper was very short and easy to follow! If you want to have a short and good blood trail there is no doubt the mechanical will be a better choice in my opinion.
+1 for Grim Reapers. I have shot quite a few deer and a few elk with them. Short blood trails and good penetration. They shoot well and have performed as advertised.

Dropped my first buck with the Magnusen Killer Bee Stinger 2 last week. Blades were nicked up pretty good (one miss, one hit). Emailed the company about blade replacement yesterday (Saturday) and got a response today. They're sending me new blades. Excellent customer service.
I 've read several reports like yours. 'Magnus Broadheads' stands by their products and their guarantee. I own both Black Hornet Ser-Razor 4 Blade (125gr) and Stinger Buzzcut 4 Blade (150gr). I haven't hunted Elk with either, but I know some have done so with success.

Last edited:
The Stinger 2 is a narrow overall cut, maybe 1 inch?? So I'm sacrificing overall initial damage for perceived increased accuracy. These fly extremely straight, similar to my Rage Trypan mechanicals. But the customer service from Magnusen is exceptional so far.

The Stinger 2 is a narrow overall cut, maybe 1 inch?? So I'm sacrificing overall initial damage for perceived increased accuracy. These fly extremely straight, similar to my Rage Trypan mechanicals. But the customer service from Magnusen is exceptional so far.
These are the descriptions for the two I own (corrected grain weight):

Stinger Buzzcut 150 grain 4 Blade 2 3/16 long" X 1 1/8 wide"
Black Hornet Ser-Razor 125 grain 4 blade broadhead 1 7/16 long" X 1 1/4 long"

Comparable to yours, I think (one of six, so your might be a slightly different configuration):

Stinger Killer Bee 125 grain 2 blade broadhead 2 1/8" X 1 1/16"

Last edited:
I’m a cut on contact guy. Magnus Stingers are my go to. I started back years ago using Hoyt Topcuts. Then Magnus welded heads. To the Stingers I have now. I’ve shot other head’s successfully. Muzzy, NAP, Wasp, and American Archery. But I always went back to full cut. I find that most of the time the deer don’t run as far after the hit. Some don’t run at all. And 100% pass thru unless it was a spine hit. Dropping bow poundage with age has for sure made me a full cut user.

Back