GoHunt, is it worth the purchase?

Appalachia

This fall, I plan on hunting an OTC unit in Colorado, and I am wondering if GoHunt is worth the purchase. I understand that its an excellent tool for creating a draw strategy. Just curious if it's applicable for picking an OTC unit?

Keep in mind they have more than just draw odds. They have some great articles on hunting strategy. Also good prices on gear with a rewards program on purchases. Theres normally a coupon code for $50 in the gear shop when signing up.

I mean, if ur rich then go for it. But there's free stuff out there probably good enough for picking an OTC unit. Toprut isn't bad, get success rates for free.

I dont buy lottery tickets. I feel its worth it to be entered into the gear giveaways. If you got one of their big giveaways, you paid for your membership for years and years...plus you have instant access to a lot of information. I am on it daily.

If you hunt multiple states, then yes. I am applying and hunting somewhere new every year, and it is a real timesaver when it comes to application strategy. Paired with OnX maps, it really helps to weed out places and narrow down what is worthwhile and what is not.

I think that Colorado has a hunt planner/ atlas or something of that nature off of their state website that should help you out just fine.

If you hunt multiple states, then yes. I am applying and hunting somewhere new every year, and it is a real timesaver when it comes to application strategy. Paired with OnX maps, it really helps to weed out places and narrow down what is worthwhile and what is not.

I think that Colorado has a hunt planner/ atlas or something of that nature off of their state website that should help you out just fine.
Well said!!!!!

I think its beneficial especially for multiple states/species, probably wouldn't use for just OTC archery CO. I do like their State draw summaries and strategy articles. Provides some hunting related entertainment during the off season.
For pure draw odds I think TopRut is a better choice.

To OP: I think its worth it. The insider may not be a huge help to you since it sounds like you know where you are going, but the articles are good and the gear store is nice. If you plan on hunting anything else anywhere else, then I say yes for sure.

This fall, I plan on hunting an OTC unit in Colorado, and I am wondering if GoHunt is worth the purchase. I understand that its an excellent tool for creating a draw strategy. Just curious if it's applicable for picking an OTC unit?

Not really for your purpose.

I use them because I was spending 30-40hrs just determining NM draw odds for all species, combining it with harvest stats and comparing it all to previous years. GoHunt doesn’t do it exactly the way that I would, and unfortunately does not eliminate the ne need for looking at the actual data, particularly harvest stats, that the state puts out. For instance GoHunt doesn’t show you how many people actually answered a survey(there was actually a hunt code with 100% harvest success where only 1 out of 10 people even turned in a report) and I think they were including cow harvests in NM for their listed percentage. Still, it saves an incalculable amount of time looking at draw odds because I can narrow things down in 20 minutes where it would have taken 30hrs in the past, and then I can look at the data from the state for the specific units I’m looking at to make sure there isn’t a big data quality issue. Combine that with the fact that I’m in four states, and I don’t ever want to be without them.

For CO OTC, no it’s not worth it. CO has some exceptional resources for hunt planning. You don’t need draw odds. You can find plenty of info on which units get pressure, where to go depending on the time of year where the most success is etc. right from CO.

I’ve never hunted CO though.

I’m not convinced that TopRut calculates odds properly. Anybody got both and wanna compare some NM draw odds to see if they agree? I can tell you that GoHunt’s are close to perfect. NM is an incredibly complex calculation. UT requires a step that most people miss. If someone publish a number that isn’t very close to GoHunt’s, they’re probably wrong.

If you have both, and check NM, a simple “yes they match” or “no they’re different” is good enough for me.

Last edited:
When I had both they were within a cpl points. They both buy the same database and run their own draws.

Last edited:
Neither go hunt nor top rut is 100% mistake free, however they are very close to each other and both serve their intended purpose. Only top rut does it a quarter the cost

Yep, toprut is a good route. It doesn't have Alaska but from what I've seen AK isn't too hard to figure out. $150 vs $20 for very similar services is pretty self explanatory!

No really, unless you plan on hunting multiple states for all species.

Even then as only a thing that will save you time.

It is by far the easiest way to filter and find units.

A lot of the states are pretty competitive now with new NR's jumping into the pools every year.

Finding a 3.5% over a 2.5% probability of drawing isn't going to help you much.

A lot of states publish their draw stats and you can google the units to find people that have hunted them in the past.

One of the things with GoHunt is the mass amount of information that has to be added.

A lot of their unit descriptions are cookie cutter, so you would probably have to google them anyway.

It is a great time saving tool, but if you are cheap you can get around not using it.

Promo code randy and get put in a drawing for a chance at the wyoming governors tag. Worth trying it out for that chance alone.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back