GoHunt, is it worth the purchase?

I used their free monthly trail back in October to do all my research, looked at different states and species, found units and tags and all the application info I needed, then at the end of the month I canceled the subscription. I spent 0 dollars and found my hunt units and tags, so if this option is at all possible I would recommend it. If I was only looking at OTC units in one state, I would say it is not worth it, but maybe you could get it and split it with a friend or something, as it is very user friendly and after spending a few hours on it you'll find yourself dreaming of all the other hunts you should be doing.

Did you become member?

I used their free monthly trail back in October to do all my research, looked at different states and species, found units and tags and all the application info I needed, then at the end of the month I canceled the subscription. I spent 0 dollars and found my hunt units and tags, so if this option is at all possible I would recommend it. If I was only looking at OTC units in one state, I would say it is not worth it, but maybe you could get it and split it with a friend or something, as it is very user friendly and after spending a few hours on it you'll find yourself dreaming of all the other hunts you should be doing.

All those draw odds you got in Oct were from the 2018 hunting season. Some things changed quite a bit, others not so much.

I just got done with 1 year with Epic. Wasn't impressed. they put me in for deer in a crap unit,in Colorado, none of there references called me back, and avery nice quality of paper used for there magazine but it is not for the average Joe. Half of it is sheep and goat hunts in Alaska or up that way and definately caters to the guys with big $. There odds stuff on the computer was decsent info. But I won't use em again..Just My thought........BOB!

I’m going to use it on an every other year basis, especially since I can only make one western hunting trip a year and I don’t apply/buy points in a ton of states. Like I know I’m gonna have enough points for a general elk unit in WY and that’s what I plan on doing in 2021 so I won’t need it next year.

2022 I’ll need to reassess where I’m at and I’ll maybe use it again to plan for that season. So for me it’s worth it... sometimes.

Guess the way I look at it is it's a nice starting point but at the end of the day you are being guided to units along with 1000s of other people lol

For one or even two states? I'd personally save my money. You can easily do the research with the data states make available and go from there. It takes some time and a lot of taking notes but I find that enjoyable.

I personally started using gohunt this year but still do some research myself, but I also apply in seven states on top of my home province...

I used go hunt for a year, while I did like it I decided it needed/could be a lot better for the price. Using toprut this application season and feel it is a great value for the money

All the draw odd info is public information. So with some time you can figure odds.
As for NM I wouldn't follow go hunt odds. They show odds of drawing as a 1st choice which can be very misleading. Prob better to look at overall odds to tags available since nm is a random draw. I cant speak for any other states odds accuracy or process.

All the draw odd info is public information. So with some time you can figure odds.
As for NM I wouldn't follow go hunt odds. They show odds of drawing as a 1st choice which can be very misleading. Prob better to look at overall odds to tags available since nm is a random draw. I cant speak for any other states odds accuracy or process.

What you stated about how goHUNT presents NM odds is incorrect.

Carry on.....

The probability of YOU drawing as YOUR first choice is all that matters. If you place the hunt as a second choice, the only reason that the odds would change, is that you might draw your first choice instead. If you pick a 1% first choice, 5% second choice and 10% third choice, the probability of drawing any tag is 10%, the probability of drawing your first OR second choice is 5% and the probability of drawing your first choice is 1%. However, the probability of drawing your second choice or third choice drops because you could draw your first or second choice instead. This probability is actually meaningless to anyone, because they only want to know the probability of drawing their first choice, or their first or second, or their first, second or third. There’s no reason to care about separating it differently. The reasons that goHUNT shows draw odds that are much higher than the total number of applicants divided by the total number of tags are A) that group applications become meaningless once the remaining number of tags is lower than the number of applicants in the group, and B) that anyone who applies for a hunt as their second or third choice could have drawn their first or second choice before being considered, and therefore their application becomes meaningless as well. You can statistically account for this if the choice order is random, but because it is not, the actual applications matter, and a simulation is the best way to get to a legitimate number.

The information is public but it isn’t published. If I’m not mistaken, it requires a FOIA request. Furthermore, simulating the draw many thousands of times requires that you write a custom computer program. The published information on the NMGF website will point you in the right general direction if you loosely account for first, second and third choice applicants, rather than total applicants, but you can’t even correctly order all of the hunts from least to greatest draw odds without information regarding group applications and choice order. In the past I’ve spent 30hrs+ manipulating the published data for NM. To do so with the more in depth data would be even more cumbersome and tedious.

TopRut has a feature showing the probability of drawing any tag if you enter your hunt choices and it’s completely invalid and totally incorrect.

Last edited:
Nearly all the information on go hunt is available for free on the fish and game websites, so if you have free time on your hands and don’t mind searching multiple webpages then no it’s not worth it. They have the information from multiple fish and game websites condensed and packaged in single location thats easier to navigate and more convenient so that’s basically what you’re paying for which for multiple states is definitely worth it

ImBillT,
I can understand your rational thinking on commenting on 1st choice being all that matters for most NR draws as odds are slim to draw a 2nd and 3rd if you didn't get pulled early enough in the draw. But for Residents that couldn't be ever further from the truth and misguiding information.
You cant just look at % who drew as a 1st choice and disregard integrating the 2nd and 3rd successful applicants into you equation.

Let stick with unit 45 Resident archery 1st elk for 2019 hunt odds since go hunt has a video claiming its 46% from 2018 report.
In 2017 unit 45 1st archery 1st choice was 52% with 96 applicants.
2018 unit 45 1st archery 1st choice was 49% with 107 applicants
2019 unit 45 1st archery 1st choice was 36% with 112 applicants.
So go hunt sold lots of odds in 2018 that showed unit 45 with 49% draw odds. Then in 2019 it dropped down to 36%.
So how does that happen. It's called 2nd and 3rd choice successful applicants which you refer to as meaningless. Hunters dont just want to know thier 1st choice chances. I assume you dont fill in your 2nd or 3rd choice options then?
So to my original response to the person who created this thread asking opinions if it's worth it still stand.
I dont personally dont pay for odd info since you can find it publicly for free. And a 13% draw difference in unit 45 as 1st choice from 2018 to 2019 can be very misleading. Not intentional I understand that.

I've drawn NM archery and one elk tag 6 out of the last 8 yrs. Hoping to go 7 for 9 this year.
I'd recommend nm residents as follow:
Do your own draw homework that suites your expectations.
Pick your 3rd choice with high overall odds first. Example my 3rd choice deer has a 72% overall tags to applicants.
Apply for different units within your 3 choices.
Make sure you stagger the odds per hunt correctly.
Look for patterns where seems people apply for the same unit 1st and 2nd choice. This can help you capitalize on your 2nd choice hunts since a % will not be in the drawing by getting thier 1st choice.

You have to work with the info that gnf gives you and the most solid #s are the total applicants to actual tags drawn. So therefore working with overall odds isn't inflated and doesn't overpromise the customers.

I attached a screen shot of similar to what I use but not the full breakdown. Its exact to the % of hunters who actually drew it per hunt choices 1,2, and 3. Also shows overall tags to applicants. And yes calculating the 84% resident cap.
Good luck in the draws guys.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200311-135454_Hancom Office Editor.jpg
    Screenshot_20200311-135454_Hancom Office Editor.jpg
    756.7 KB · Views: 10
ImBillT,
I can understand your rational thinking on commenting on 1st choice being all that matters for most NR draws as odds are slim to draw a 2nd and 3rd if you didn't get pulled early enough in the draw. But for Residents that couldn't be ever further from the truth and misguiding information.
You cant just look at % who drew as a 1st choice and disregard integrating the 2nd and 3rd successful applicants into you equation.

Let stick with unit 45 Resident archery 1st elk for 2019 hunt odds since go hunt has a video claiming its 46% from 2018 report.
In 2017 unit 45 1st archery 1st choice was 52% with 96 applicants.
2018 unit 45 1st archery 1st choice was 49% with 107 applicants
2019 unit 45 1st archery 1st choice was 36% with 112 applicants.
So go hunt sold lots of odds in 2018 that showed unit 45 with 49% draw odds. Then in 2019 it dropped down to 36%.
So how does that happen. It's called 2nd and 3rd choice successful applicants which you refer to as meaningless. Hunters dont just want to know thier 1st choice chances. I assume you dont fill in your 2nd or 3rd choice options then?
So to my original response to the person who created this thread asking opinions if it's worth it still stand.
I dont personally dont pay for odd info since you can find it publicly for free. And a 13% draw difference in unit 45 as 1st choice from 2018 to 2019 can be very misleading. Not intentional I understand that.

I've drawn NM archery and one elk tag 6 out of the last 8 yrs. Hoping to go 7 for 9 this year.
I'd recommend nm residents as follow:
Do your own draw homework that suites your expectations.
Pick your 3rd choice with high overall odds first. Example my 3rd choice deer has a 72% overall tags to applicants.
Apply for different units within your 3 choices.
Make sure you stagger the odds per hunt correctly.
Look for patterns where seems people apply for the same unit 1st and 2nd choice. This can help you capitalize on your 2nd choice hunts since a % will not be in the drawing by getting thier 1st choice.

You have to work with the info that gnf gives you and the most solid #s are the total applicants to actual tags drawn. So therefore working with overall odds isn't inflated and doesn't overpromise the customers.

I attached a screen shot of similar to what I use but not the full breakdown. Its exact to the % of hunters who actually drew it per hunt choices 1,2, and 3. Also shows overall tags to applicants. And yes calculating the 84% resident cap.
Good luck in the draws guys.

You misunderstand probability and statistics, as well as my explanation.

YOUR first choice probability is all that matters TO YOU as long as you order your choices from least probability to greatest.

What order OTHER APPLICANTS place their choices in does impact YOUR first choice probability. Those are two different things, and you’re mixing them up. There is absolutely nothing wrong with goHUNT using YOUR first choice probability for each hunt code. In fact, that’s the only meaningful way to present the information.

Total apps/tags completely ignores the probability of a second or third choice applicant drawing their first or second choice, as well as group applications and IN EVERY INSTANCE underestimates draw probability. The underestimation is lower in units with many applicants and whose applicants are mostly first choice. It DRASTICALLY underestimates in units with low applicant numbers and where most applicants are second and third choice.

Last edited:
Yes for multiple reasons. Gives you odds for all states and info on the units. Never know when you’ll want to try an out of state hunt. Gives you lots of general information on hunting. The biggest thing is GoHunt does a lot for conservation and hunting. Well worth it in my eyes.

I would definitely make the purchase as there is so much valuable information on it from draw odds, unit info, and strategy articles. The Filtering 2.0 is also very helpful when it comes to planning hunts.

This fall, I plan on hunting an OTC unit in Colorado, and I am wondering if GoHunt is worth the purchase. I understand that its an excellent tool for creating a draw strategy. Just curious if it's applicable for picking an OTC unit?
Absolutely. I think its worth every dime. Information is what we all need to make decisions and good decisions, this company provides it in spades.

Questions of "worth" for this service or others like it that essentially are a time saver is relative to the end user. If the cost is "a lot" of money to you, spend it elsewhere. If the money is just spare change, try it out there's a lot of info.
I don't believe there is any secret info or magic insight coming from the service, but it has the state's info in a fairly easy to use format. The big benefit I would see is jumping from state to state. If you are all in for multiple states every year I think it would be a useful service. I was a member for one year to check it out. I found it somewhat useful, but cancelled after a year due to the fact I'm getting tired of the point game. Personally, I would rather just hunt OTC and the two or three states I'm familiar with for the future.

I would say it depends on where you are at financially and where you are at with your hunting knowledge. For someone who got into hunting as an "adult onset hunter" and has years of experience to try and makeup, I feel that gohunt is a very valuable resource in the articles, unit breakdowns, and other information.

It definitely made the application more comfortable when I started applying for out west hunts. If I was just doing an OTC hunt, especially in a state like Colorado I’d probably pass though. That being said the articles are outstanding and the gear shop is solid as well with decent prices.

Back