Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

GoHunt, is it worth the purchase?

I’m a curmudgeon and am against the idea of paying for a service that overwhelmingly just sorts public data. $150 would have saved me about 25-30 hours in sorting WY elk data. However, I had the time to do it and enjoyed the process.

Like others have said, once you’re looking at multiple species/states the number of hours can get really crazy, and $150 becomes very practical. Figure in the $50 gear coupon + governor tag raffle ticket these are additional perks.

I guess it depends on your CO otc budget. If you already have everything you need and want and looking to blow some cash on something fun then go for it. I don’t think $150 buys you much in picking a CO OTC unit. Once you familiarize yourself with CP&W website (took me maybe 10-12 hours) all the info is there and easy to understand.

This fall, I plan on hunting an OTC unit in Colorado, and I am wondering if GoHunt is worth the purchase. I understand that its an excellent tool for creating a draw strategy. Just curious if it's applicable for picking an OTC unit?

With everyone drinking from the same well so to speak nowadays with all these different data services, GoHunt is pretty expensive for basis draw odds. There are others out there for less money that have just as good if not better draw odds functionality.

I enjoy picking through their data like I enjoy picking through the state public data. It's one tool in the toolbox for finding a hunt that is right for you. However, I wouldn't bother for any OTC hunt where you can easily access both hunt data and herd condition for free from the state. Their mapping interface is kinda limited as well.

No I don’t personally think it’s worth it imo.

I like the research process and all that kinda stuff. So for me I believe it’s a slight advantage to doing it yourself. Be interesting to see how many people use the exact same strategy for applying, so does this actually give you an advantage? I’m not so sure it does.

Don’t do it lol 😂
Matt

Thank you all for your opinions and insight. Its definitely given me something to think about. More importantly, I learned something new, I had no idea about Top Rut.

I also have to add that GoHunt’s current “updated” draw odds for NM do not reflect the new tag rounding for NRs. They have high draw odds listed for hunts that no longer have a non-resident tag and haven’t gone to fourth choice in quite some time.

That’s because they’re last years odds, like everybody else. Only one guy does predictive odds.

You should use last year’s application numbers with this year’s tag numbers. That’s still not predictive.

What’s the value in listing a hunt as 33% draw odds when it is fact impossible to draw?

I think I need to start my own draw odds service.

Last edited:
Everybody uses the previous years odds and then says they’re “2020 draw odds”. GoHUNT’s timeline feature is their way of allowing the user to somewhat predict the upcoming draw odds without going full blown predictive.
Ron Wold of oregon tags is the only odds I know of who uses past history to predict upcoming odds.

Last edited:
Everybody uses the previous years odds and then says they’re “2020 draw odds”. GoHUNT’s timeline feature is their way of allowing the user to somewhat predict the upcoming draw odds without going full blown predictive.
Ron Wold of oregon tags is the only odds I know of who uses past history to predict upcoming odds.

Sad. I understand that we have no way of knowing how many people will apply this year, but we know how many tags there are this year. It’s still not “predicting”.

The hunt I’m talking about isn’t even possible for a NR to draw under the new rules.

Last edited:
Also be aware that the subscription is on auto renewal. So far my attempts to cancel auto renewal have gone unanswered and I was charged for another year. I just emailed to delete my account entirely and refund my money. Apparently those in charge at gohunt wear clown shoes.

Also be aware that the subscription is on auto renewal. So far my attempts to cancel auto renewal have gone unanswered and I was charged for another year. I just emailed to delete my account entirely and refund my money. Apparently those in charge at gohunt wear clown shoes.

I just went through that too. I got mine refunded after an email exchange with customer service.

I find myself using onx every single day of my life. Gohunt not as much. Gohunt is a quick way to access all the data that is available on fish and game websites. Its more of a luxury than a necessity in my opinion. If you have extra budget after your onx elite subscription, dig in. But onx has been a more useful tool for me.

It was for me. It has saved me a lot of hours of research over the past year. I find it beneficial to have all the info GoHunt provides in one easy place.

For instance, I love that I can pull up all the GMU’s and seasons for elk in Colorado that are not OTC and cross reference that information with the mule deer hunts in those same units.It has helped me narrow down where and when I want to hunt mule deer in Colorado more efficiently than I could have otherwise. It has done the same in Wyoming and Montana for me, saving me dozens of hours of research that I can spend doing other things.

As a new hunter who does not live in a western state I’ve found the information that GoHunt compiles and provides in their insider has really accelerated the learning curve of getting to know which hunts I want to apply for in multiple states. I started out looking at only one state and that was doable by myself in excel. However now that I look at 5 states for deer, elk and pronghorn I think GoHunt is worth it. I also enjoy the articles and other content GoHunt produces, much of that content is already free. For $12.50/month it’s worth it to me.

giphy.gif

Yes!

I used their free monthly trail back in October to do all my research, looked at different states and species, found units and tags and all the application info I needed, then at the end of the month I canceled the subscription. I spent 0 dollars and found my hunt units and tags, so if this option is at all possible I would recommend it. If I was only looking at OTC units in one state, I would say it is not worth it, but maybe you could get it and split it with a friend or something, as it is very user friendly and after spending a few hours on it you'll find yourself dreaming of all the other hunts you should be doing.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back