"Go To" Alcohols

White wine: Chablis or dry Loire Valley Chenin Blanc
Wine: Vieux Telegraph, Chateau Beaucastel, Vosne Romanee, cool climate syrah, Ridge Vineyards, Rhys Vineyards, old school Napa cab, anything made by Manfred Krankel or Justin Smith, 1st or 2nd growth Bordeaux, funky cab franc from the Loire, Bruno Giacosa, Aldo Conterno, most Kermit Lynch imports.

I was waiting for JR's wine list. I do like "good" wines and have been trying to educate myself - but more often than not I can't remember what "that good bottle" was when I go back into the wine shop. Case in point, during November I picked up a monthly wine subscription from our local shop. Later that evening I was helping my brother and a friend butcher some deer. We had a stove and frying pan - so naturally started cooking up heart and tenders while we worked. In the process, I remembered the wine in the truck - so we drank one of the bottles. It was very good, and all I could remember was that it had a "Pope" and a "Chicken" on the label. Which was enough info when I went back into the shop and put a few bottles in the cabinet.

Beer: Kettlehouse Double-haul is the daily.

Busch Light was always my go-to beer, though Fat Tire was always my favorite. Jameson was my favorite whiskey. About 10 years ago alcohol of any type started giving me immediate and debilitating headaches. Just a few sips could have me lying on the couch in pain within 30 minutes sometimes. So, nowadays the number of drinks I have in a year doesn't approach the number I could have down by noon back in my prime. Oh well, I guess it saves me a lot of money and hangovers.

Hand sanitizer and mouthwash is pretty popular around here.

For beer cheap it's Kers original and Kers light. For "better" beer its local brewery Vanilla Porter, Alaska White and Oatmeal Stout

Whisky - is all the same to me under 50-60 bucks. From Black Velvet to Pendelton. I usually drink Costco Crown.

Burbon - Makers 101, or Rabbit Hole Heigold

Irish - Red Brest and Bushmills

Scotch - Laphroiag

Mixed - Vanilla Crown and coke... I'll drink a whole fifth if I'm not careful in one sitting

Not a fan of clears, rum or barf tequila.

Beer: Deschutes Black Butte Porter
Bourbon: just started dabbling w bourbon, I like Buffalo Trace better than Makers, would like to try some higher end bourbons and have yet to find Blantons anywhere
Rum: Havana club makes a much better mojito than Bacardi Superior....my mojito ninja skills are actually pretty decent
Wine: can't say that I'm educated enough to be selective

Beer: Coors Original. I like fancy beers, and even IPAs, but they don't like me. They really mess my guts up. I can drink a case of Coors though, and go hunting the next day, it just won't be pretty.

Bourbon: 4 Roses, Ancient Age, Bulleit, Old Granddad - Good bourbon on the cheap is readily available

Other Whiskeys: Crown, Kelly Single Malt (Local out of Headframe in Butte. I am a big fan), Pendleton

Wine: Tastes like fruit gone bad.....Wait a minute.

Vodka: Don't pretend like good vodka tastes any different than Lewis and Clark $10 handles

Scotch: Monkey Shoulder, Laphroaig

Funny story about the Laphroaig. My mom and dad had a really nice liquor cabinet growing up. Lots of options. But they didn't drink! I knew that I could tap into it without them being aware. So, one night when I was in high school a few friends and I stole the fifth of Laphroaig and drove to the top of the Occidental Plateau and got good and drunk. I was worried dad would notice it gone, so I mixed some diet coke and water and put it back on the shelf. It was the right color. About a decade later that sonofabitchin bottle was still on the shelf. Ha!
U ever tell your parents?

Beer... I can't do IPA's or other craft stuff. The kegorator has a 1/2 barrel of Coors lite in it at all times. Lasts about 3.5 weeks in the summer and 5 in winter)
I do like Modelo and Tecate when eating anything of Mexican flavor
Bourbon.. Bulleit for easy sipping or for mixing ( old fashioned or bourbon and coke)
High West Campfire for when I want to feel special or sophisticated
Basil Hayden for just enjoying a few by the fire.
Bookers if I really feel like drinking gasoline.
Vodka Tito's

I

I knew @jryoung was gonna roll through with his wine list and make us feel like we all drink Capri Sun, ha.

I don't drink real regularly, but when the occasion arises...
Beer: Top all-timer was Great Northern Brewing Good Medicine, but alas it is no more. Cold Smoke is a standard cool season go-to. When going cheap, which is frequently, it's Coors or Pabst.
Bourbon: Four Roses Single Barrel. I like a splash of Fireball in hot water for a winter sipper, and no I don't want to steal your catalytic converter.
Wine: $5-$10 Costco especial

Pretty well pass on the rest unless someone else is mixing.

Beer: Double IPA’s lately - at 9%+ ABV, they’re just more efficient 😉. Current go-to’s are Melvin 2x4 out of Alpine, WY and FMU from Moab Brewing.

Whiskey: I’m a bourbon guy with 25+/- in the current inventory. Favorites are Bookers (neat) on a cold winter day, Buffalo Trace on the rocks or Makers Mark with a splash of ginger. Blanton’s, Basil Hayden and Four Roses get brought out for special occasions (ie. the rare times when I’m not drinking alone 😂). I prefer rye whiskeys in old fashion’s, High West Double Rye being the current fav. I also make my own Irish cream that goes in my morning coffee, but don’t get too picky on what Irish whiskey I use in it. Just whatever is on sale, which lately has been Proper Twelve.

Tequila: I like a good blanco agave tequila in my homemade margaritas. Herradura is my current favorite. I also keep a bottle of Don Julio Anejo around as a sipping or shots tequila.

Wine: Napa cabs in the winter, Willamette Valley Pinot Noir in the summer. Not to picky on the brands as my experience is anything from those regions is pretty good. I also like a good 20 year tawny port on occasion.

Wine: My go to are Pinot Noirs: Largely small Oregon producers and French Burgundy. Although - I have been on a bit of a Spanish kick lately with Riojas and Ribero del Duero. I can appreciate a good white wine, but I rarely order or purchase it for my personal consumption.

Beer: I am a recovering beer nerd, so this is too hard to answer without writing a novel, but I will inventory what is currently in the beer fridge: half a case of Saison DuPont, A few 4 packs of Hazy IPA (mainly Citra hopped - all from CO breweries that specialize in the style. Too many brewers are just throwing a 'Hazy' out there and most of them suck), Hefeweizen from the German brewery down the road, a selection of random west coast style IPAs, and the ever-present Silver Bullet. Plus a few rarities in the 'cellar' (closet in the basement) - which got raided the initial month or two of Covid so is now pared back to a 5 year vertical of Orval (2013-17) and a handful of Westvleteren (2 12's and 3 Blondes) plus one bottle of 2008 Dark Lord (a fancy Imperial Stout).

Liquor: While I appreciate well-made liquor, about the only two I ever drink are Gin (either a gimlet or Rocks dirty martini) and Tequila (neat if Anejo/Reposado, or a simple margarita if silver).

All the above and my prodigious intake of coffee probably says a lot about my palate being more attuned to 'bitter' than 'sweet'.

As a Gout sufferer - Brown liquor and sour beers are very rough on my system, so I mostly abstain, but I used to love Islay scotches and Belgian geuze, and I still can't resist a Montana Bulldog from Willie's distillery in Ennis.

Back