"Go To" Alcohols

VikingsGuy

Thousands of great options for adult beverages, but I find myself going back to a few old standards for often than not.

Beer: Any decent craft Porter or a trappist Belgian triple
Vodka: Stolichnaya for everyday, Stoli Elite neat with whisky stone as needed
Whisky: Balvenie Single Barrel Single Malt Scotch with whisky stones
Wine: A "whole cluster" Pinot Noir - hard to find, but when I do I will buy a box. Not at all like the generic Pinots that have flooded the market.
Port: Grahms 20yr Aged Tawny
Cognac: XO maison surrenne

Don't really drink bourbons, other non-scotch whiskies, rums, gins, white wine or tequila.

So, what are yours?

Last edited:
Finally a HT post I feel I can speak definitively upon, not that a lack of expertise has every stopped me before.

Beer: Saisons if Im being fancy. Moosehead lager on a normal Tuesday.
Vodka: Hanger 1
Gin: Hendricks
Wine: Oaked Cab - bourbon barrels are solid choices
Whiskey: Vodka/Gin - not a huge fan of colored liquors.
Tequila: Mexican Slag piss - doesn't belong in a civilized discussion

Bourbon: Jefferson reserve for a fine pour, Eagle Rare for the daily cocktail
Single Malt: Glen Morangie 18 YO
Vodka: Double Cross & tito's. Svedka is a good party vodka though, and pretty inexpensive.
Beers: That's really a situational issue. Fishing, camping, etc it should be a banquet beer of some kind. For micros, it's tough to beat the offerings of Blackfoot River Brewing Company in Helena.
Wine - Not much of a wine drinker since college. That was mostly the gallon jug of Chianti or Burgundy.
Gin: The Botanist or Bombay Saphirre
Rum: Pussers for dark and stormy's, Bacardi 151 for rum & Coke

Fwiw, there is a real shortage on imported whiskeys. Can't find my Red Breast with. 200 miles, no ETA on shipments.

I don’t really have a go to craft beer I for the most part will try them all at least once. Busch light is a good go to. I am fan of Legacy whisky. Flathead distilling makes a rye that’s called Trapline that’s pretty good as well. It will be interesting going forward, after losing my taste and smell with a bout of Covid I cannot taste beer or any spirits.

Beer: Coors Original. I like fancy beers, and even IPAs, but they don't like me. They really mess my guts up. I can drink a case of Coors though, and go hunting the next day, it just won't be pretty.

Bourbon: 4 Roses, Ancient Age, Bulleit, Old Granddad - Good bourbon on the cheap is readily available

Other Whiskeys: Crown, Kelly Single Malt (Local out of Headframe in Butte. I am a big fan), Pendleton

Wine: Tastes like fruit gone bad.....Wait a minute.

Vodka: Don't pretend like good vodka tastes any different than Lewis and Clark $10 handles

Scotch: Monkey Shoulder, Laphroaig

Funny story about the Laphroaig. My mom and dad had a really nice liquor cabinet growing up. Lots of options. But they didn't drink! I knew that I could tap into it without them being aware. So, one night when I was in high school a few friends and I stole the fifth of Laphroaig and drove to the top of the Occidental Plateau and got good and drunk. I was worried dad would notice it gone, so I mixed some diet coke and water and put it back on the shelf. It was the right color. About a decade later that sonofabitchin bottle was still on the shelf. Ha!

That sounds like a high dollar list. I like craft beer, but I also enjoy cheap beer, a $10 and $100 bottle of wine taste equally good to me, and I occasionally drink some Pendleton. That’s as fancy as I get.

Beer: spring and summer Saisons, fall and winter Belgian Trippels and Quads
Bourbon: Everyday (per se) 1783, or any label I can find when im on a trip that i cant find at home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back