Caribou Gear

Giving Away Old Hunting Gear?

SRW

I don't know if this is the right sub-forum for this kind of post, so I apologize if not. But, does anyone know of or work with any sort of organization that takes people (perhaps veterans or kids?) out hunting that could make use of a bunch of gently used hunting clothes?

Long story short, I lost a bunch of weight a year or two ago and now am left with a ton of hunting clothes that don't fit anymore and I don't know what to do with it all. I don't think it would sell on the secondhand market very well as it is not Sitka, First Lite, etc. type stuff. There's some higher end items, but mostly it is Cabela's or Academy brand items. For the most part, it is all gently used and in very serviceable condition.

If I have to, I'll just give it to goodwill or find someone on the streets who is down on their luck and looks cold. But, I wanted to put the feelers out first and see if any of you guys know of an organization, large or small, that could make use of all this gear.

Or, if you have a kid/neighbor/friend/whatever who you are introducing to hunting and could benefit from some or all of this stuff, feel free to send me a PM. Most of it is size XL, 36/38 waist (some size L).

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Last edited:
That's really cool that you are doing that. I'll talk to my local highway patrol guy he is in a few organization like such. I'll let you know if I find anything out.

I have several youth / girls items from the that I would be willing to part with if someone has girl looking to getting into the sport. Mostly XXS and XS pants, shirt, jackets. Mostly Prois branded items and some new with tags on. I offered them up for free where I work and there were no takers. My daughter just outgrew some of it too fast and I would like to find a new home for it.

If anyone has child and they want some of these items let me know and I would be happy to send them to you and show you photos of what I have.
Thanks,

I have several youth / girls items from the that I would be willing to part with if someone has girl looking to getting into the sport. Mostly XXS and XS pants, shirt, jackets. Mostly Prois branded items and some new with tags on. I offered them up for free where I work and there were no takers. My daughter just outgrew some of it too fast and I would like to find a new home for it.

If anyone has child and they want some of these items let me know and I would be happy to send them to you and show you photos of what I have.
Thanks,
I'm shooting you a PM, I'm taking my Daughter out for her first Caribou Hunt this year - she'll be shooting my Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmoor but I definitely could use a couple pieces. If it worked out I'd be happy to reuse those!

Gave away all my waterfowling decoys to a young man just getting started in duck and goose hunting. Also included a Final Approach layout blind and many goose silhouettes. Kept my calls and many wooden and cork decoys for my collection. I have taken my share of ducks and geese. It felt good to help a young man who did not have the funds to purchase lots of decoys and gear. MTG

Have a bunch of hunting & fishing books that I'm giving to local school library.
Might take a box or 2 of old hunting clothes to nearest thrift store. It just sits there in bins most of the time taking up space.

We have just opened a community gear library through our schools community education department. We are always in need of good gear for hunting, camping, fishing, etc. We are trying to remove the barriers to entry in our area and hope to share this model with other communities.

I've posted on a few FB hunting pages before and offered stuff for beginners. You can normally tell with the profile if the person is BS'ing you or not (ie it's for themselves but their profile picture is them in Sitka with a bull elk)...

You can also look up Gun or Archery clubs.

does anyone know of or work with any sort of organization that takes people (perhaps veterans or kids?) out hunting that could make use of a bunch of gently used hunting clothes?

There is an organization called "The Fallen Outdoors" (https://thefallenoutdoors.com/) that is 100% volunteer and they take Veterans on hunting and fishing trips. Great organization founded by vets for vets with the mission to get guys and gals back into the outdoors or into the outdoors for the first time. There are "members" (only membership fee is a DD214 or the "want to help") in nearly every state. Would encourage all of you to check them out. 100% of the donations made go directly to organizing events. You can even volunteer to take a vet hunting or fishing and they will connect you with a vet or vets in your area.

Wounded Warrior Project was a great idea in the beginning but now is overly commercialized to the point that they keep 29% of your donation. Not saying they don't do some good in what they do, but when it comes to outdoor related The Fallen Outdoors is the place to look.

All -- thanks for your thoughts and replies here! I actually contacted the Wounded Warrior Project around the same time I created this post. They got back to me and basically said "thanks, but no thanks."

Going to look into the fallen outdoors and some local rod & gun clubs, etc. now. Great ideas from all. Much appreciated.

If you don't find a group close to you, you might give me a call (I lead a volunteer program here in Arizona > Heroes Rsiing Outdoors). We take disabled Arizona veterans out hunting as therapy via donated big game tags at NO charge to the veterans. Everything from javelina on up to elk (and a very occasional bison/buffalo and desert bighorn sheep). My #: (480)760-3868. Regardless of who you choose, good job!

If you don't find a group close to you, you might give me a call (I lead a volunteer program here in Arizona > Heroes Rsiing Outdoors). We take disabled Arizona veterans out hunting as therapy via donated big game tags at NO charge to the veterans. Everything from javelina on up to elk (and a very occasional bison/buffalo and desert bighorn sheep). My #: (480)760-3868. Regardless of who you choose, good job!
I'm moving to Arizona! Seriously though, would love to hear more about what you guys do. Are you incorporated?

Just a thought, if you have a "Combat Vets" motorcycle group in your area any of them can put you on legitimate Vet organizations😉
does anyone know of or work with any sort of organization that takes people (perhaps veterans or kids?) out hunting that could make use of a bunch of gently used hunting clothes?

There is an organization called "The Fallen Outdoors" (https://thefallenoutdoors.com/) that is 100% volunteer and they take Veterans on hunting and fishing trips. Great organization founded by vets for vets with the mission to get guys and gals back into the outdoors or into the outdoors for the first time. There are "members" (only membership fee is a DD214 or the "want to help") in nearly every state. Would encourage all of you to check them out. 100% of the donations made go directly to organizing events. You can even volunteer to take a vet hunting or fishing and they will connect you with a vet or vets in your area.

Wounded Warrior Project was a great idea in the beginning but now is overly commercialized to the point that they keep 29% of your donation. Not saying they don't do some good in what they do, but when it comes to outdoor related The Fallen Outdoors is the place to look.

If anybody knows of or finds anybody I've got a few Rubbermaid totes full uf old camo that's all in really nice shape I'd be glad to part with

I'm going to go with my brothers who have "been there" on this one. Google any confirmed Wounded Warrior patron you can find, and allow them to guide you to a -1 family.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back