Caribou Gear

Gift Ideas for Landowners

Carl 9.3x62

I almost never hunt private land, other than HMAs and walk-in areas. This year I have permission to hunt moose on a couple different ranches and I am thinking of some sort of thank you gift. Whisky, gift basket sausage and cheese, box of seafood, and cash, are a few things I have come up with. Those of you who hunt private, what, if anything, do you give as a thank you gift?

Gift card to a nice restaurant is what I’ve done in the past. Fancy beer or whiskey if it’s someone I know, but only for someone I know personally who wouldn’t possibly be offended by getting alcohol for a gift.
It is close to Utah...

I do the gift card idea as well. I've seen some of those ranchers liquor cabinets and they got more Jack and Jim than the local liquor store lots don't even drink it.

One year I had a bunch of barnwood planks so I cut em into about 30 inch chunks. I got the brand logo of the ranch or names and I got the boards Lazer engraved which looked like an actual burned brand. Threw some other trinkets on it like a small deer shed or a horseshoe they turned out pretty good. Have seen a couple of them hanging in the houses still which is neat. Something different I guess.

What sort of gift cards, other than restaurants?
Gas cards, maybe a place like the Costco, sporting goods, restaurants have been good though just a nice steak joint in a town they visit works well.

You basically gave them a free date night if they're married

My father in law has about 12 people outside family to hunt on the farm each year during our gun season. They all do something different. A couple of them help run calves through the shoot, a few help cut firewood and fill the wood room. One guy drops off a prime rib about a week before Christmas. They all bring a crockpot, sandwiches, plenty of beer to drink and a bottle to pass during the season.
The biggest thing is they respect the farm, try and do what’s best for the group and work hard to help everyone be successful.

Framed photo/s of their property ready for hanging

I always call to find out if there is something I can bring "from town". One time that saved the rancher the 3 hour round trip to get the next gallons of paint for the remodel.

Sand plum jam from Kansas is always welcomed. Mrs kansasdad for the win!!

I think as long as you make an effort that's what they remember.
My dad and sister were hunting our family ranch in Wyoming for antelope last year, killed a buck in the morning, and ran into a few hunters from Oregon on the state section next door who were having no luck at all. The public in our unit gets pounded and pretty much sucks.

My dad offered to let them on our place, and the guy and his two sons all killed bucks, their first antelope. They sent us a gift basket of homemade wine and a cool wooden bowl as a thank you, and it was pretty cool. Landowners really appreciate people making an effort.

When we allow someone access to hunt our private which isn’t offend cash is king. Someone kills a 350 bull and I’m not really interested in a box of crackers and a roll of sausage. You have a tag and you can join all the other hunters on public but when you have access to ”good”private thats special. As far as branding or fixing fence, any time we’ve had people helping unless they knew what they were doing it’s more of a hassle having to tell them what and how to do it all day. So give a little cash, have a good hunt, don’t leave anything left behind when your done.

I agree with ones above about offering labor if you don’t know what to you are doing. The ones who know how to build fence or work cows do that. One guy is also the vet. He occasionally “doesn’t remember”a call for a sick cow on a Sunday or miscounts how many calves are run through the shoot. No one that hunts with us gives straight cash. They are all friends or have become friends and they aren’t allowed to hunt the property because of the need for cash. If I wanted cash I’d put an ad in the paper for the highest bidder to hunt the property and I’d give them exclusive rights.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back