Gift Ideas for Landowners

I do homemade products. Something local to where I live. Kinda a from my table to yours gift.

The neighbor taps the maple trees down our road and makes syrup. I pick the blackberries and make jelly. Another neighbor grows asparagus so we picked some jars. Everything has a personal tie from us to them. Also we attach a 50 or 100 to the landowner coupon if we harvest on their property.

I like guys who do gift cards. There is nothing more impersonal than that. Do something that is personal and separates you from the gift card group.

My mom spends her spare time crafting and making cards a lot of thank you, birthday, and get well kind of cards. I peeked through them and found a few that were a little outdoorsy themed. Wrote some nice words and put a gift card in there. Told my mom about it and all she makes is “thank you for letting me hunt” cards anymore. I probably have at least 30 of them downstairs. Some of them are pretty neat. I think it’s cool too. Giving them a card that’s not so generic.

Some good ideas here, thanks everyone. I'm about giving them some homemade moose jerky, probably in addition to something else.

I have received all kinds of gifts.

access for work, Like others have said, unless you have experience in what you are doing I don't want the hassle of teaching you. Of course there are some job where little experience is needed but even then I may not have the time to show you what needs to be done.

Homemade gifts are fine, but most people have an inflated view of how good they are.

Alcohol is great if you are a frequent drinker. Dud if you are not.

Hunting equipment, I like it, but I like to hunt, others may not.

Gift cards to a restaurant that is out of my price range. Winner, Not so much for me, but my wife loves them and happy wife, happy life.

helicopter ride for me and the wife. Never forget that one and Susan still talks about it.

I have received all kinds of gifts.

access for work, Like others have said, unless you have experience in what you are doing I don't want the hassle of teaching you. Of course there are some job where little experience is needed but even then I may not have the time to show you what needs to be done.

Homemade gifts are fine, but most people have an inflated view of how good they are.

Alcohol is great if you are a frequent drinker. Dud if you are not.

Hunting equipment, I like it, but I like to hunt, others may not.

Gift cards to a restaurant that is out of my price range. Winner, Not so much for me, but my wife loves them and happy wife, happy life.

helicopter ride for me and the wife. Never forget that one and Susan still talks about it.
A helicopter ride would be cool. Gives the landowner a view of their property they’ve never seen.

I don’t disagree, but for me it’s about the time and thought that went into it, not so much the objects.

I also spend at least a combined hour on the phone with them over the course of the summer. Most of the land owners I’ve built a decent relationship with prior to stepping foot on their place. As part of that relationship you get to know what their interests are in.

For that veterans hunt I did last year we all brought something personal and bought a bottle of 23 year old scotch. The personal gifts were just a ice breaker to get the conversation going with each hunter. The scotch was a grand slam.

I got permission to goose hunt a field last year. Gave the farmer a couple of gift cards to a restaurant his wife likes.

After reading this, I think I'm gonna call him up and see if he wants some walleye (frozen in 1/2 lb bags).
That's a good idea.

I got permission to goose hunt a field last year. Gave the farmer a couple of gift cards to a restaurant his wife likes.

After reading this, I think I'm gonna call him up and see if he wants some walleye (frozen in 1/2 lb bags).
Our logger brings us bags of fresh flathead ready to bread and drop in the fryer. It is greatly appreciated.

Our logger brings us bags of fresh flathead ready to bread and drop in the fryer. It is greatly appreciated.
Sounds like I need to make a trip to see my dad and run some lines.

I almost never hunt private land, other than HMAs and walk-in areas. This year I have permission to hunt moose on a couple different ranches and I am thinking of some sort of thank you gift. Whisky, gift basket sausage and cheese, box of seafood, and cash, are a few things I have come up with. Those of you who hunt private, what, if anything, do you give as a thank you gift?
Any of the items you mentioned, except cash. Maybe times have changed, but cash was not seen in the same light as something you put some thought and time into. Way back in the day, my grandfather appreciated people giving their time more than anything else. Working a cattle ranch is a lot harder and more time consuming than a lot of people realize. It is a 24/7 job. Those who would help hay, brand, fence repair, barn repair, plant, tractor repair, etc discovered more about the ranch than the fact wild life visited it. Some became regular visitors, and friends, through the years.

We often bring food and drink unique to our area when hunting out of state. Word of warning to folks of romantic country origin who go to the Midwest. Their palate is NOT as tolerant of spices as we are. So salametti, or Italian sausage and Chorizo and Linguisa don't go over well with a Nor'Dakota Swede or Dane.

Get to know them and find out what they can use instead of just something random. Useful and thoughtful goes a lot further than odd IMO.

Framed photo/s of their property ready for hanging

I always call to find out if there is something I can bring "from town". One time that saved the rancher the 3 hour round trip to get the next gallons of paint for the remodel.

Sand plum jam from Kansas is always welcomed. Mrs kansasdad for the win!!
My buddy and I made a nice photo book of some of the prettiest, coolest photos of their property that we took while hunting and sent it to them after with a thank you note. It was a huge hit.

We usually do a very nice gift basket with a bunch of random cheese/meat/wine/whiskey/bath bombs/etc. The kitchen sink...lol. The ladies we hunt with do a great job putting that together. Along with that we all write a note and put in some crisp $100’s. We’ve found that cash works best for the landowners that allow us access.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back