Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Getting your bou horns home

chasendeer

For those of you that have gone caribou hunting in AK or Canada. How did you get your horns home? I read on the net that Alaska airlines will let you ship them but, a lot of people say different. I'm also looking at the post office it looks like that could be a go. Any info would be great.
Thanks
Jay

When I hunted out of Bethel Alaska, we actualy split the horns so they would "nest" together and fit in a small enough box to be shipped via UPS back home. We weren't that concenrned about entering anything into the book, and the taxidermist was able to put them back together just fine.

It has been quite a few years back now, but if I recall, coming out of the bush, they had to go air, which ads considerably to the cost, but was still the cheepest option.

Elkwhisper

When I hunted Quebec I shipped them home via the airlines. But that was when an extra "checked" bag (horns) was $25 and was considered over size so another $25. I know lots of guys have split the horns much as Elkwhisper describes and shipped them UPS. It's also cheaper to get them out of the Bsuh if you split them. Taxidermist will have no problem mounting split horns. Just can't get them scored is all.

chasendeer,

In 2005 we were successful hunting caribou out of Kotzebue. We split the horns as stated above and shipped them home for a reasonable price.

We are hunting out of Kotzebue again this year and will do the same. Good luck on your hunt!

We plan on splitting them it is just in case we kill a big one I would like to be ready to deal with getting them home. Last year we did a moose hunt and had trouble getting my buddies horns home.
Thanks again
Jay

Yes Alaska Airlines will ship the antlers whole / unsplit. While I was living in Fairbanks a few years ago I drove down to Anchorage to meet relatives that were coming up from Pennsylvania for a Caribou hunt. They both scored nice sized animals and had no problems with Alaska Airlines or any of the other connecting flights on the way home. I don't recall any of the specifics as to cost, etc. I do remember it was recommended that they cover the tips of each point with a piece of garden hose and tape it with duct tape. That was most likely to protect the antlers as well as the other cargo being shipped. Just give them a call or email, they are used to seeing this all the time, shouldn't be a problem.

Just an after thought, if you happen to score on a record book animal you do not want to split the antlers, if you do it will disqualify you from the record books. Better to make absolutely sure before hand than to risk ruining the oportunity of a lifetime. Good Luck

If it is a record book animal and you are inclined to enter it Alaska Air will ship them but you pay extra for: A. extra bag , B. oversize C. overweight (if over).
Alaska Air does allow a slightly larger package for antlers. This works well for nested caribou antlers. This year I shipped mine-split-in a box 12"x30"x42" for the price of excess baggage($25). I think they allow 120" for antlers. I did wrap hose around the points, wrapped and taped, taped, taped the scull and threw a sleeping bag in with them to reduce shifting and crushing.
Another thought. If it is truely a trophy to you, you may wish to procure the services of an Alaskan taxidermist. You have less chance of wasting a cape, do not need to ship antlers right away and get the benefit of having a taxidermist who works on caribou/moose all the time. Beats having a moose mount with antelope characteristics!

As long as they're not in velvet, its not too bad.

Just a thought, before you split them, make a few small cuts, perpendicular to the main cut so you (or the taxidermist) can line them up later.

If they're in velvet, and you want to save it (like I did) the best bet is to have them mounted locally.

I went on an early season (Last week of August) hunt a few years ago in Quebec. I shot a nice double shoveled bull in velvet. I had researched the field care, had bought my formaldahyde & syringe and did everything they said to do.

We UPS'ed the horns, two capes, and some extra baggage from Montreal and took the meat with us on the plane.

Long story short, the package sat in USFW for almost a week and arrived a stinking mass of maggots. All the velvet and one of the capes were ruined.
The horns stunk to high heaven but after 5 coats of Kilz and some stain, they looked almost normal- and the cape made it, barely.

I would advise, if you want a shoulder mount, to bring back an extra cape if you can shoot two.

At camp,

DSC00668.jpg

On the wall:

DSC_1123.jpg

This is how I did it a few weeks ago. Two P&Y caribou that were not split. Took it as extra oversize baggage on Alaska Airlines for $50. 115" total (L+W+H) was the overall requirement and this box was 113". We got the heavy duty box from Alaska Airlines Cargo. Ed F

index.php

That stinks I'm pretty sure they told me I couldn't ship my horns through them:mad: Mine are sitting in Fairbanks with my brother. I froze the cape and threw it in my baggage. I'm only 7-8 hours away so it was still nice and frozen when I got home.

I should add a small disclaimer. Technically Alaska Airlines is not supposed to take antlers as baggage. It's supposed to go cargo. That's why cargo has these antler boxes. I learned last year to not tell and hopefully they won't ask. They asked a couple times and I just said hunting stuff and they accepted it, knowing full well what was in the box. Got away with it the past two years. I doubt I'll try it with a moose. Next year I'm gonna register as a known shipper and get it all home cargo. Ed F

I should add a small disclaimer. Technically Alaska Airlines is not supposed to take antlers as baggage. It's supposed to go cargo. That's why cargo has these antler boxes. I learned last year to not tell and hopefully they won't ask. They asked a couple times and I just said hunting stuff and they accepted it, knowing full well what was in the box. Got away with it the past two years. I doubt I'll try it with a moose. Next year I'm gonna register as a known shipper and get it all home cargo. Ed F

It is fine to ship antlers as checked baggage. The antlers boxed are no big deal just cant be poking out of the box. In some locations in the state they let you fudge this as long as all the points are covered and no blood and love are dripping out of or off of the rack or container. 117 lineal inches (l+w+h) is the max a checked baggage piece of gear can be for Alaska airlines. This is also considered oversize and charge $50 more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back