Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Getting old. HELP!

Z Barebow

I have been in denial for several years, but I need vision correction to read (aka- bifocals).

Being an outdoors person, my vision is critical, especially for distance.

I have a pretty severe prescription and wear toric contact lens. (Have had correction since 2nd grade)

I went to the optometrist yesterday and she set me up with a contact to optimize my far vision (Dominant eye) and left lens for close stuff (For reading). Jury is still out on this and whether it is a solution or I should accept bifocals. I do wear glasses, but for less than 2 hours a day. Hunting with them sucks due to fogging, dirt, etc.

I am primarily an archer and seeing critters from afar is important. Glassing through binocs is huge also.

I am wondering if I should just use bifocals for reading and get contacts which optimize my distance viewing. (I have a desk job and view PC monitor all day long)

Looking for experiences of anyone else in the same boat.

Thanks in advance

BZ

I only need glasses for distance vision. I have glasses, but I have to take them off to read close up. The goofy thing is...if I have my contacts in, I need glasses to read, so I just got the cheap reading glasses at Wal Mart. I usually wear my contacts and have my rifle scopes and binoculars set to that vision. I usually don't wear the contacts or glasses when I shoot my bow, since the vision is odd looking through a peep sight and the peep sort of clarifies the distance vision.

When aging caught up with my vision, (far sighted) I started wearing bifocal glasses. I resisted even trying contact lenses for one hunting season. After a snowy cold elk hunt when my glasses constantly fogged, nearly were lost as on & off they went in order to glass the elk. I persevered and ended up with an elk and a cold retrieval out of the mountains with nothing but problems with the glasses.

I now wear the contacts anytime I am outdoors and most of the day. I still have bifocals for reading and for computer work in the morning before putting in contacts. Life is so much easier in the outdoors, especially when hunting, so I strongly recommend them.

I should have worded it better. I wear contacts all day long (And only wear glasses after taking my contacts out). I am a threat to society without any correction.

I am thinking some cheaters to supplement contact wearing might be an option.

Z Barebow after reading your post I had to check and see if you wrote it or if I did, your vision problems sound way too familiar. I have stayed with contacts with more of a distance prescription, it makes using binos so much easier, then the second the contacts come out the bifocals go on. I buy reader glasses by the case at Costco and have to use them with my contacts to read. For now I'm staying contacts for outdoors, then bifocal glasses. I keep asking the optometrist if Lasik eye surgery is an option but he says for me it probably won't work. Getting old sucks, but what can you do?

I have the gradient bifocals - I find them much easier to deal with than the ones with the line. A friend I shoot with recommends the Zeiss precision bifocals - apparently the "distant" area is much larger.

Going one up.
I have a cataract in my right (dominant eye) driving at night kills me. Raining, just not gonna drive. The reflection is like looking through a dirty pair of glasses or windshield. Doc says it is time for a no suture operation to get it back to normal. Not happy, but know it needs to be done. Funny thing is, now I can go without readers unless small print books. Bottom line, sucks getting old!
Scheduled for February unless somebody cancels.

i had lasik done and immediately had to start wearing readers. seems counterintuitive, but the do warn you it can happen. still glad i got the surgery as it is so much nicer not to have to put on contacts at 5am in a dark tent. life's a tradeoff sometimes.

I did the Lasik to restore my distance vision and now wear readers. Much nicer to be without glasses except when reading.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back