PEAX Equipment

Geothermal Heat Pump

We have a pump and dump geothermal system at work. Meaning it is pumped from a well and is injected back into the aquifer through another well. We have 9 heat pumps for a 10,500 sq. Foot building. The system and building are 7 years old. We have not had a year where we have not had to do work on at least 1 heat pump. I lost complete heat on January 12. It was -20. We are still on a temporary heat source. The dump well mineralized shut and the well company has been working at getting cleared.

If anyone has experience with geothermal wells and systems. I’d love to ask you a few questions.

From my experience I cannot recommend a geothermal system especially as your primary or only source.
Dang, that's too bad.

Mine will be closed loop so I won't have many of the issues of an open loop system

We rented a house for a year that had a geothermal heat pump with closed pond loop. Never paid more than $150/mo in utilities, dead of summer or middle of winter. That’s all I know about them. I would look into it more if I was building.

I've done one Pump and Dump system (two wells). Without tax credits, I just don't see it as viable. Even then, I think it's a bit of a gimmick. What it costs over and above a good quality HVAC system will not be recouped long term, given equipment replacement costs, etc. I'd rather put the money into urethane insulation.

I worked with a geothermal heat pump manufacturer to design and install a horizontal closed loop system on my own home back in 2011. It consisted of five 80’ ditches with pipe buried between 6-8’ deep. Each 80’ ditch contained 750’ of pipe in a slinky loop system.

Total cost for geothermal heat pump, air handler, ductwork in the house, excavator rental and labor for brasing in the copper lines and charging the unit with refrigerant was @ $14,000 when I turned the heat and AC on. My unit also had a function that preheated my domestic hot water before supplying it to my electric hot water heater.

It was a five ton unit and heated and cooled 3400 square feet for @ $90-150 per month for the electricity to heat and cool.

I didn’t use geothermal for my current home since I have natural gas running through my property, but I would happily do it again if I build again.

I should clarify that my ductwork was pretty basic inside my home and relied on a really open floor plan and gravity to assist in distribution of heat and cool air. My cost was almost 90% materials since I did the majority of the labor myself.

I'm in the business and can only say to do the math on cost savings over the life of a unit vs a standard system and go from there. Depending where you are it may be a great idea, it may be a waste of money and added headaches that geothermal can bring with it. If it's isn't designed and installed right, or you get a leak in the loop, you are in for an expensive ride. Leaks are rare though, but still something to consider along with the cost of relandscaping if necessary. As a pro, I am not for or against them, I'd go with whatever was best for the structure type and climate

Back