George Williams Lion

B

bcat

View

Here is a lion we took three years ago with a good friend and Outfitter George Williams. He had always wanted a lion and told me if I ever found a real big one to let him know. He called me one morning and we had two hunters from back east here for the first day of their hunt. He said my son is watching a lion in the spotting scope right now trying to take a big elk down, do you have a hunter there. I said I did. He said if its a big one can I have it? It was on his land so I said ya if its a big one its yours these guys would love to see the chase anyway. SO we went and caught that lion and it was a small tom about 140 pounds. He decided to wait for a bigger one and one of my hunters killed the lion. Anyway I called George and said lets go hunting one morning after a fresh snow. He said lets go. We cut a huge tom track about an hour from the pickup on snowmachines. I snowmobiled back to the truck to get the dog box and the dogs. The cat was headed up the mountain so I knew he wouldnt be too far , and it would be a short chase. I turned my old dog dan loose, he was 14 years old at the time. It was his last chase. I didnt turn the other dogs loose till I heard dan bawl with his I found him bawl!!!!! The whole chase was about 300 yards. The snow was deep, and old dan was a proud old dog, slow but proud!!!! The cat turned out to be 14 years old I think. It had alot of grey hair and lots of battle scars. He had a tremendous foot but with an empty stomach it was only 145 pounds I think. I havent asked george what the skull measured, but will soon. I think he has it back from the taxidermist by now. It was a great hunt, got some pups in on a short chase, and George got the big tom he wanted. And old Dan got to chase him his last lion. bcat

------------------
If you aint the lead dog the scenery never changes
bcatrunningcat.gif

Logoboy.jpg

Boykin's Hunting Homepage
HuntAndLodge.com
www.recworld.com/boykin

Nice story and pics bcat. Imagine that guy watching that lion and elk !! I would give about anything to see something like that in person.
that sure was a fitting way for the old dog to end his career huh? Hes probably treeing them everyday where he is now.

Yep george that would have been awsome to watch. He didnt catch an elk that day, and it took three hours to get over there to where they watched it. The lion was tired from the tussle and didnt go to far. Will post a picture of that lion in my next post here, with one of my pups that was three months old that made it clear to the tree. The snow was deep on that one also and he would disapear under the snow with each leap!! It was funny to watch
biggrin.gif
I have found many elk kills, but would love to watch it happen sometime. Yes Old Dan is chasing lions everyday now!! He used to chase them in his sleep. The last few winters we kept him in the house in the winter, so he would do better, and he would get to running lions and barking in his sleep!! It was funny to watch him have his dreams!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
bcat

------------------
bcatrunningcat.gif

Logoboy.jpg

HuntAndLodge.com
www.recworld.com/boykin

Bcat-
That's awesome to me the way you treated your old dog, Dan, by lettin' him sleep in the house durin' the cold winters. In almost every post of yours (I said ALMOST hehehe), your big heart shows thru your rough facade. Since you have such a big heart, and love to chase the cats with your dogs, I think ya ought to change your handle...........
to.....LIONHEART!!!! JMHO Big D
biggrin.gif

------------------
"Keepin' 'em in the black"

"If ya wanna save a tree, then eat a beaver"

www.huntandlodge.com "You may check out, but you can never leave"

bcat, that would be awesome to see a lion take down an elk. It seems that most lion hunts are fairly short after you jump the lion. Is this fairly normal?

View

Heres the lion that was chasing the elk and Dave the hunter that took the lion. Notice the puppy in the picture, he's right between my legs with his feet on the lion, the one that was shorter than the snow was deep!!!!! Big D you are right I am a big softie when a dog gets old, and it gets cold out. They dont stay in the house all the time, but at night I think the old timers need a little extra attention. Boomer, yes usually the lions go right up a tree or a rock or whatever they can, when the dogs get close and jump them. Lions dont have lung capacity like a bobcat, or cheetahs and the like and dont usually go to far once you are on em. They can walk forever tho witout stopping and NEVER wear out. I would love to witness a lion taking down an elk sometime.

------------------
bcatrunningcat.gif

Logoboy.jpg

HuntAndLodge.com
www.recworld.com/boykin

The mother of the next batch of pups I will have is the full brother to this dog on the picture above in my last post. Ya can hardly see it but ya can see his front feet on the lion. He was not more than three or four months old in the picture. bcat

------------------
bcatrunningcat.gif

Logoboy.jpg

HuntAndLodge.com
www.recworld.com/boykin

Back