Yeti GOBOX Collection

Gentleman's Proposal Re: MT Nonresident Sheep

rmyoung1

So, I was running some numbers from the 2012 MT sheep draw, and I think we need to arrange some sort of gentleman's agreement between all of us long-suffering-but-ever-hopeful nonresident MT sheep applicants. Here's what we know:
1. Montana nonresidents are limited to a maximum of 10% of available tags
2. If a nonresident draws a ewe tag, that tag is deducted from the 10% max
3. Montana issued 212 sheep tags through the draw in 2012 (unlimited units excluded)
4. Nonresidents drew exactly 12 tags. Residents drew 200 tags.
5. Of the 12 tags drawn by nonresidents, 3 were ewe tags. In other words, 1/4 of all nonresident sheep hunters were hunting ewes.
6. 10 nonresidents applied for the 3 ewe tags for a 30% success rate.
7. 6,895 nonresidents applied for the 9 ram (or either-sex) tags that were drawn for a 0.2% success rate.

Now, I'm not going to bash MT's regulations. The rules are the rules, but here's my suggestion:
Nonresidents.... let's leave the ewes for the residents. I know there's nothing wrong with shooting female animals. I harvest plenty of does, cows, etc. but in the world of the ever-so-precious chance at a MT sheep tag, let's quit stealing tags from our nonresident friends and give a guy a chance at a ram. Who knows? The lucky guy might be you.

Transparency Disclaimer: There is a self-serving portion of this. I really, really want to hunt a ram in MT. :D

Last edited:
I suspect you have a lot of guys with low point totals or a few who are on the seven year waiting list as the majority of folks who are applying for the ewe tags, Good luck changing that. Even better luck in your quest to draw a ram tag. Hope you do. Just don't take mine.

Once I draw my ram permit this year, I will be a ewe hunting fool from here on out.

Even better luck in your quest to draw a ram tag. Hope you do. Just don't take mine.

Once I draw my ram permit this year, I will be a ewe hunting fool from here on out.

Thanks, Randy. I'll try not to draw yours. :)

And you can shoot as many ewes as you want and apply for 100 years in a row for all I care. I hope all the MT guys beat us nonresidents to those ewe tags each and every year. Having the ewe tags deducted from our total, which is only 20 or 21 tags at best, is an absolute killer!

I figure when I have about 40-45 points it will be time to jump in the resident pool and tempoarily move to MT and draw a tag. I'm hopeful that when I have 1600-2000 chances in the draw, I should be able to pull a tag.

12 tags... man thats some long odds.

500 NR took 400+ sheep out of Alaska last year.

I am actually sitting here processing credit cards for the Colorado Bighorn Govenor Raffle tag. You can send me a CC number and I'll send you a ticket or 2. That way you can increase you odds of going sheep hunting this year.

Even better luck in your quest to draw a ram tag. Hope you do.

Fin,
As long as you aren't drawing my sheep tag, I hope you draw, as well. It's about time for another Montana ram show. Vaughn's hunt was such an awesome episode.

Yeah leave the ewe tags for the residents. The fewer people putting in for ewes the better. It just ups my odds of drawing another 2nd choice ewe tag and getting to hunt sheep in the breaks and still building points. I fully support this plan. :D

Im in also I have a feeling this is my year I just know it:D Yeah I agree looking at those numbers is depressing for sure. I have a better chance of winning mega millions. But can't win in you don't play:rolleyes:

Ben, you're politically active... Until we grow more sheep, how about seeing what you can do about getting nonresident ewe tag prices raised to $5,000 or so? That should scare the nonresident ewe hunters away. :D

Counter proposal: Let's grow more sheep and improve everyone's odds.

In all states.

Yes. See Dinkshooter's post. :D

I am actually sitting here processing credit cards for the Colorado Bighorn Govenor Raffle tag. You can send me a CC number and I'll send you a ticket or 2. That way you can increase you odds of going sheep hunting this year.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back