MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Geezerhood Elk

squirrel

Hit the big 50 a few years ago and got a killer case of gout in the spring which crippled me all the way to a fall elk hunt, could barely limp around camp by a mile or two at most and kind of had a little mid life crises. I wasn't sure if I could still do what I had been able to @ 25. I kicked the gout and applied for a tough hunt the next year with a M/L to find out.

I did well and got at the far side of 18 miles from the truck at my furthest point, then complicated my life by getting a bull down. I got out with only 4 trips on my back but the last one was pretty friggen heavy! No sign of the gout monster even with all those heavy loads downhill (4000' plus of downhill)

The country was just as pretty as when I was half my age, but it hasn't gotten much flatter, and elk are still very heavy. He was my only unbroken 7x7 ever, old bull with small horns @ 305"

That seems like the perfect solution to a mid-life crisis. And in some stunning country.
That is a great elk.
Congrats and thanks for sharing.

Beautiful country and great bull ! Congrats on redeeming yourself and not giving up, you are a good inspiration!

Great bull!!
I'm 60 now and had to tone it down some,heart attack ave me a wake up earlier this month...no damage but....no more 4k ascents or descents if possible,but still plodding along.

Man, it is awesome to see older guys like you still getting out and hunting elk! Gives me hope for when I crest the hill!

Great story. Inspirational. I take allopurinol every day to keep that gout away. It will stop you in your tracks, as you know. Very nice bull and hunt.

Wow. Well done. I'm not sure I can do that at 38 and I like to think of myself as being in pretty good shape.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back