Gearing up for 2008

wyomingtim

Well, let's start hearing about it now. Since 2008 officially begins tomorrow what are the plans?

I will be going on a General Any Bull hunt in Utah with my 2 brothers and step-dad. Will be the first hunting trip together since I was 14 (21 years ago). Not the best odds in the world og tagging out, but hey, it is about the hunt, not the shoot.

I will also put in for my point, try for a cow tag, and am debating putting in for a few draws at the sportmans expo in Feb. I am also considering trying for a speed goat tag. All of this will be in Utah this year.

I am glad to see someone else is already excited.
I am going to Montana again in 2008 for deer and speedgoats if drawn.
Looking at an Alaskan float for moose/caribou but I'd like a partner...
Got my sights set on a late caribou hunt in Quebec too.
Oh yeah, in January after it snows I'm after the stag and boars I mentioned in an earlier post.
I will put in for bull draw in Idaho-but I never draw.
Probably take a bit of time to hunt general in Idaho too.
Good luck.

With 8 points, I am still ten years away from the Utah elk tag I want, and a lifetime away from a moose tag with 3 points. Same deal in Az and Wyo, looking for points this year, and a good tag sometime before I die.
I have a point in Montana, so I have a good chance at a general tag, if I decide this is the year I want it.
New Mexico is the same every year, 10% to 20% odds of drawing a decent archery tag.
I’m in the max point pool for a rare California elk tag, odds should be around 10% this year.
Back up plan is a Colorado OTC tag. With gas prices the way they are, the Colorado drive will cost more than the tag. Maybe I’ll just stay home this year.

Lots of plans, given some luck in the draws.

The "for sure" hunts for me in '08 are going to be antelope, elk, deer in Wyoming, Colorado for deer. Hopefully deer/elk in Montana if I draw. I also have a javelina tag good for late Feb. Probably go shoot some circus animals and hogs in Texas too.

Draws are as follows:

UT: Deer and sheep.
WY: sheep, moose, goat, bison
NV: Sheep, goat, deer, elk
MT: Sheep, goat, moose, deer/elk combo, bison
AZ: elk, coues deer, pronghorn, sheep
NM: elk, deer, sheep...maybe oryx.
ID: either sheep or moose
CO: deer and sheep

I think thats about it, and I have points for all applicable states. Never know, someone has to draw.

Another for sure is filling out plenty of applications.

I also plan on hitting the UT expo and applying for $250 worth of tags there. Probably a few raffle sheep tags elsewhere as well.

We were gonna do a AK float but after looking at the stats, there is a pretty good chance of my father finally burning his Colorado elk points. So the float is out and I guess we are just gonna have to spend 2 weeks chasing sheep in the Brooks in August. Dang it.

Loaded on points everywhere else. Always a chance.

An Expo Desert Sheep Tag would sure be a nice touch on the year.

Here it is for me. I do all the same for my son, but since he is only 17, his point totals are lower.

UT: Bison and antelope (I am in the max point pool for antelope - this could be my year.)
WY: Antelope, elk, deer (max points for all, but so do a few million other guys)
NV: Sheep and deer (On the wait list for elk and antelope)
MT: Sheep, goat, moose, deer, elk, antelope, bison
AZ: elk, deer, pronghorn (13 points), sheep
NM: elk, deer, sheep, and antelope (have a landowner antelope tag lined up if I don't draw, so I will be in NM chasing goats this year).
ID: moose
CO: deer (4 points) and elk (13 points) Time to cash some of these in.
AK: Bison and special moose draw
IA: 5 deer points
KS: 3 deer points
ND: 1 Muzzy deer point

Just added up what it costs. Yikes! :eek: Holy :BLEEP:

No wonder the wife is asking for an accounting. I am pleading poverty, as we have an agreement that my hunting account is to have a minimum balance of $10,000 as of January 1 each year.

That was her idea, not mine. She said it made her household budgeting easier. I wasn't gonna argue. :D

Happy New Year and good luck in drawing your tags. Hope you get what you want, so long as it doesn't keep me from getting what I want.

"So the float is out and I guess we are just gonna have to spend 2 weeks chasing sheep in the Brooks in August. Dang it."

You have my sympathy...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'm glad I'm not the only one that has this on my mind. My wife thinks I'm crazy but at least I have company.:D

Here is my plan:

Utah: elk (13 points), since I drew moose this year I have to start a new OIL, probably sheep or mt. goat.

Wyoming: elk, deer, antelope, moose (8 points), sheep (8 points) (hoping for moose and antelope)

Oregon: deer (3 points), elk (5 points), antelope (5 points), mt. goat, sheep, bear, cougar

New Mexico: Oryx

Kansas: Deer

Will probably do spring bear either in Alaska or Canada.

I hope for one or two good tags. Good luck to all.;)

It's gonna be the best year ever!

For sure hunts are as follows in chronological order.

April-May: 2 to 10 turkeys in SD

August: 10 days in the Talkeetnas for Dall. Considering adding griz to the game.

Sept. Archery lope in SD.

October: Idaho elk and deer with my oldest son (12) and my Dad. Been looking forward to this for a long time.

Oct-December: 3-10 deer in SD.

Accumulating points only in NV for all species except lopes. Don't have the time off to give it due diligence if I did draw.

There is a slim chance I draw elk or sheep in SD.

I already have 3 javelina tags for Az. this spring, one state hunt & two reservation tags. I have an AZ spring turkey tag & am going to buy two over the counter tags for NM.

Planning on putting in for Sheep, Elk, Deer, Antelope & Buff for the fall in Az.

In the early planning stages of an Idaho OTC whitetail tag for September, Take Care, JLG.

Nothing firm yet EXCEPT for the fact I will be going hunting.

-Al Qaeda

-Alaska Caribou

-Kodiak Deer & Goat combo (if I draw)...might even put in for a brown bear draw, but chances are better my plane will fall out of the sky this year.

-Oklahoma rinky dink deer

No udder plans at this time...but chit is always changing.

I'm really hoping my home state is kind to me this year. Most of the Western states will get a few dollars from me.

poimts, draws, what a pain. hog hunt in georgia in april, bear hunt in may in idaho, then the long summer of work, then back to deer hunting in illinois.

Attachments

• 01Dec07.jpg
    01Dec07.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 498
  • 28Nov07.jpg
    28Nov07.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 497
  • another southern illinois deer.jpg
    another southern illinois deer.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 497
Not sure.,. I'll ned to get with my Aplication service. Where is IDbugler BTW ;)

Only sure thing is Africa June 21st.... Other then that, we'll see.

Not sure.,. I'll ned to get with my Aplication service. Where is IDbugler BTW ;)

Only sure thing is Africa June 21st.... Other then that, we'll see.

I have an application service for you.. I will personally promise to scrrew up less than 75%

move to ak in june, so probably will not kill anything in 08. No problem though, I'd rather just go with other people anyhow. Maybe my friend will draw an AK tag, we'll find out next week or so....

Sounds like you guys have some great 08 hunts, can't wait for fall!

Dang, some of you guys have put in the time and money over the years and are looking at some great hunts. Good luck to all.

As for me, I'm quite certain Montana will treat me well this year with a goat tag and a late season elk tag. Then I'll top it off with my general season antelope and deer.

Points in Wyoming, Colorado and Utah.

Hopefully a sweet landowner tag or two in New Mexico if the stars align.

I am not sure really what I will draw for sure except for archey lope in MT. In fact I don't have any sure things except for my own state.
Hoping to draw UT elk this year.
hoping to draw MT sheep, goat, moose, elk, deer. Probably get a lope archery tag and hunt with a Douche from Havre.
points in CO for 3 critters.
AZ putting in for lope and elk, point for sheep and pig.
NM elk .
ID moose.
WY lope, points for deer, moose, elk and deer

I am not sure really what I will draw for sure except for archey lope in MT

I kinda hate to break the bad news to you, but the archery antelope tage is going to a drawing. The quota will be somting like 4500 residents and 450 of that will be non-resident. So you'll have to fit in the 450. Thank the outfitters for leasing so much of the land up for clients hunting lopes last couple of years.

about time FWP did something right,,,to many non residents hunting archery antelope

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back