Gear suggestions

WVpseguy

Hey guys I'm either going to be hunting in south east montana....north east wyoming or western south dakota. This will be my first time and I really dont know what gear I will need. Can you guys give me suggestions on what to get. Just looking for suggestions on spotting scopes....binos....boots....packs stuff like that. If I plan on packing in to set up a remote camp what tents do you guys use. Just post anything a man might need. I have about 12 months to accumulate what I will need lol.....thanks for any info

What will you be hunting for and what time of year? A September hunt gear list would look different than a late November gear list. In my opinion you should put the majority of your money towards good boots, a comfortable pack, and good binoculars. The rest isn't as important, especially if you truck camp, which you will likely be doing in those parts.

Sorry guess I should had added more info. It will be during firearm season and I will be chasing mule deer. Will be there mid November

There's a bunch of gear lists out there and I think that's the best way to start to assess needs versus wants. When I started getting into this I watched a few youtube bag dump videos and created a big excel document. In that document I have every item that people listed as critical for their various hunts. Then I compared what I currently own and quickly saw what the needs were and where my current gear worked just fine. PM me your email and I'll send the document over. You then just adjust your gear list to the type of hunt you'll encounter.

I should also state that the document helped me realize that my current gear was just fine. I needed to add some small items here and there, but overall I think the people on this board would say to just go. Get a pair of boots, pack, binos and a tag. Go hunt and then the experience will help you determine your gear needs.

..... In my opinion you should put the majority of your money towards good boots, a comfortable pack, and good binoculars. The rest isn't as important, especially if you truck camp, which you will likely be doing in those parts.

^^This. Don't skimp on these three, especially boots and binos. You can usually score a good deal on a quality used pack. You don't necessarily have to pack in to get into good deer hunting unless of course you want to. Unless you want one or you're looking for a trophy where inches matter, you don't really need a spotter IMO. They are nice to have but with good binos you can get by. GPS would be good to have if you don't already have one. Just my preference but I have no want to use my cell phone as a gps. I prefer a separate unit with Onx map chip. I've had an eTrex20 for years and like it enough I got another in case one breaks. Are there particular pieces of gear you are interested in or feel you need?

Last edited:
I second the binos and the boots - you can't hunt what you can't see or can't get to. Getting in reasonable shape isn't a piece of gear but can make a big difference. I would add that you need clothing that lets you stay in the woods despite cold, rain, wind, snow, etc. I've been able to afford better clothing over the years and it allows me to hunt when the hunting is best (I can stay on the ridge as the storm passes and be there when the deer/elk are active right after the storm).

Getting ready for the hunt is half the fun.

Sorry guess I should had added more info. It will be during firearm season and I will be chasing mule deer. Will be there mid November

If you are planning on backpacking in, I'd have a shelter that has a wood burning stove and a sleeping bag that can handle the temperatures during mid November.

I personally wouldn't backpack in, but to each their own. I'd have a truck camp with a heater or a camper. Great advise so far with the boots, backpack, and binos. If you don't go the route of a spotter, I'd at least bring a tripod for your binos. I'd start off with a budget and seeing what you can spend. Then research dollar amounts for the boots, backpack, and binos.

Add gaiters to what others are suggesting. They are often overlooked, but are one of the best pieces of gear in my kit. If you are walking through wet grass or snow, they'll save you from getting wet pants, which in turn soaks down turning into wet feet.

I suggest checking out the Outdoor Research Verglas gaiters.

What boots do you guys suggest. Her in whitetail land we dont walk extreme distances. Just a few 100 yards to your stand. I wear high rubber boots for scent purposes. I know that's not sufficient for what I will encounter out west.

What boots do you guys suggest. Her in whitetail land we dont walk extreme distances. Just a few 100 yards to your stand. I wear high rubber boots for scent purposes. I know that's not sufficient for what I will encounter out west.

The ones that fit your feet! Go to REI and try on all of the different brands. I like something with a stiff sole. I use the Salomon Quest 4D's. Lowa makes a good boot as well. The renegades do well. There are so many options, but you have to find a brand that fits your feet.

Everyone is different so what fits me best may not work for you. I really like my Kenentreks. I have a pair of Lowa Tibet's and a pair of Hanwag and both are comfortable. Not sure where you are in WV but Cabelas and Sportsman's Warehouse in Morgantown carry Kenetrek. If you can find an REI (there's one in Pittsburgh), they carry Scarpa and Lowa. It would be worthwhile to try on as many as you can to find what fits you best. Meindel are a good boot also and carried by Cabelas. You could always try Shoes.com also. They carry Lowa and Zamberlan and you can return/exchange easily.

I am in the middle of packing for my mule deer hunt and leave next Wednesday. Ill be in northwest Colorado and camping by the truck. If you're interested, PM me your email address and Ill send you my excel file checklist.

Last edited:
What do you guys suggest for binos that are reasonably priced I cant afford zeiss and all of that good stuff lol

What do you guys suggest for binos that are reasonably priced I cant afford zeiss and all of that good stuff lol

Depends on your definintion of reasonable, hahah. I hunted for years with Leupold Mohave's while saving for Swaros', there's a pair on ebay for $375.

I have a pair of the bushnell legend ultra hd m series, they can be had for around 230 on Amazon. The vanguard endeavor ed binos are nearly identical and around the same price, I'm pretty sure they are the same binos with different names on them. Vortex vipers are comparable and a little nicer but xmcost twice as much. I've heard good things about the new maven c series as well

I was super pleased (and quite surprised) at the amazing value of Maven. They compared very well in the field with my buddies' much more expensive vortex binos.

Last edited:
Crispi boots and as good a pair of Binos as you can afford. Cheap hotel for mid November. Camping could be awful cold.

Number one thing I have in my pack for this now is the puffy coat and pants from first lite. Oh my god where has that been all my life. I would almost laugh when I’d put it on. Seemed like magic how well it worked. Just don’t walk with it on, too warm. Those and my 400 gram danner high ground boots and I’m all set!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back