PEAX Equipment

Gear Clearout

thomas89

In the interest of funding new purchases this off season/clearing up my space a bit, I have been off-loading several items to Facebook marketplace.

I love the convenience of being able to post items to multiple pages with the click of a button. I love selling crap and not having to deal with shipping or paypal or venmo or cashapp. Years ago I bought a muzzleloader from someone on this site and had to use my wife's PayPal account. I just hate the funny money.

What I hate worse than the funny money, is I absolutely hate the low ballers. There are people who post things intentionally high in preparation for the inevitable low ballers, I am not one of them. Off loading a couple items that can be found with a quick internet search for $199 and $249 respectively. The $199 item is new in box, part of a warranty claim. The $249 has very light use. Both of these I have priced at $100. In the interest of math we'll just call it 50% off and over 50% off. In my opinion, very good deals on facebook marketplace.

Guy 1: Would you take $80?
Me: No.
Guy 1: What about $90?

At this point I just start ignoring the guy.

Another offer rolls in,
Guy 2: Hey would you get rid of both for $150.
Me: No.
Guy 2: OK, good luck with the sale.
(This interaction I can at least respect, shoot your shot, miss, move on with life)

Hours go by as I'm responding to people.

Guy 1: Are you pretty much set on $100?
Me: Yes.
Guy 1: OK I'll take it for $100.

Looking more and more like guy 1 lost himself a great deal by being a cheap, haggling, POS.

Anybody else deal with these morons?

In my business it’s called value engineering. That usually means we cut profit but the work stays. It’s an eloquent term for chiseling. My counteroffers will be to our advantage or it’s a hard yet polite no.
I'm going to start calling my father-in-law a "value engineer" when we're at dinner and he's asking for his plethora of discounts.

I sold my dads boat for him last week. Listed it at $13k.

Some of the conversations went like this...

"10k"
Me - No

"Will you do $11k?"
Me - No, you haven't even seen the boat in person. How can you try to haggle over a few pics?

"I'll do 9k cash"
Me - Perfect, you're getting there. Just find 4k more and I'll even meet you somewhere with it.

"What's your best price"
Me - 13k. Come look at it and if you find issues we can talk about it and work out a price from there."

I had 18 people send meaningful messages about the boat within 24 hours of posting it. It wasn't underpriced by any means. I was open to offers, but not from someone sitting at their computer. Ended up selling it for $12,250. Only 30 hours after I posted it for sale.

My folks sold an air conditioner once and the gal asked for gas money when she got there. Just absolutely shameless.
Back in high school, I had a friend who drove a few of us somewhere, maybe 30 miles total, in his pontiac sunfire. Thing got 30 MPH and gas was about $1.50 at the time. When we got back he tried soliciting gas money from us. We laughed at him and basically told him he was being a cheap ass. He countered with "well what about the oil I burned driving there? Thats gotta be worth a few bucks." 😂
I'd imagine he haggles on FB marketplace.

Sounds like Facebook shoppers are the garage sale crowd. The dregs of society. Lower than the people who fish in tournaments. Human dung beetles.

Sounds like Facebook shoppers are the garage sale crowd. The dregs of society. Lower than the people who fish in tournaments. Human dung beetles.
At least garage sale people show up and look at your stuff. Marketplace folks take whatever you post and within 15 minutes offer you less than half of your asking price then get offended that you don’t take it.

In my business it’s called value engineering. That usually means we cut profit but the work stays. It’s an eloquent term for chiseling. My counteroffers will be to our advantage or it’s a hard yet polite no.
And I'm your "value engineer" in that business :) Man the people that I deal with, my clients, are all about that "value" almost all the time and it usually just means that they bid it at "X price based on X material" and if I can cut that "X material" to something cheaper, its direct pocket money for them. Funny thing is they usually show very little appreciation when I just saved them 10k on materials and they only paid me 2k.

Back