Gear Clearout

In the interest of funding new purchases this off season/clearing up my space a bit, I have been off-loading several items to Facebook marketplace.

I love the convenience of being able to post items to multiple pages with the click of a button. I love selling crap and not having to deal with shipping or paypal or venmo or cashapp. Years ago I bought a muzzleloader from someone on this site and had to use my wife's PayPal account. I just hate the funny money.

What I hate worse than the funny money, is I absolutely hate the low ballers. There are people who post things intentionally high in preparation for the inevitable low ballers, I am not one of them. Off loading a couple items that can be found with a quick internet search for $199 and $249 respectively. The $199 item is new in box, part of a warranty claim. The $249 has very light use. Both of these I have priced at $100. In the interest of math we'll just call it 50% off and over 50% off. In my opinion, very good deals on facebook marketplace.

Guy 1: Would you take $80?
Me: No.
Guy 1: What about $90?

At this point I just start ignoring the guy.

Another offer rolls in,
Guy 2: Hey would you get rid of both for $150.
Guy 2: OK, good luck with the sale.
(This interaction I can at least respect, shoot your shot, miss, move on with life)

Hours go by as I'm responding to people.

Guy 1: Are you pretty much set on $100?
Me: Yes.
Guy 1: OK I'll take it for $100.

Looking more and more like guy 1 lost himself a great deal by being a cheap, haggling, POS.

Anybody else deal with these morons?

I listed a John Deere riding lawnmower on Craigslist. Dude emails me all excited about it and then says "What's the lowest amount you'll take for it?" 🤦‍♂️

I gotta say
I’ve sold just a few things on here and rokslide and I’ve bought just a few things on same… they’ve all been pretty painless straightforward deals where I think both buyer and seller walked away happy.
Thankful for that.

I’ve had a a couple of dramas on gunbroker, one in progress at this moment with a delinquent payer.

@Knight.54 I would agree with you about selling on HT. I have bought and sold stuff on here and feel that I treat those that I have sold from and bought from equally. There is a HT code somewhat......

I’ve had good experiences here and RS, only issues I’ve ever had are scammers when I posted a WTB ad. I do feel like a get ripped every time I got to ship something but that’s hardly the buyer’s fault 😂

I have used eBay in the past but it’s pricey now!

Oh, here's another one...

When we bought our house it had this big ugly modern chandelier, it looked expensive so I didn't want to just toss it and listed it on Nextdoor for $100. This lady called me about it, wanted to buy it, asked if I had any pointers to install it, we had a nice talk for a few minutes. She asked if I would deliver since she didn't like to drive, I said I would drop it off at my folks' house since they lived over in her direction and her husband could grab it from there. They went by and picked it up off the front porch, had a short discussion with my folks, and left. THEN she starts calling me again, saying she heard from my mom that I know how to do construction stuff and trying to tell me I need to install it for her. I said "No thanks, I'm busy, hire an electrician". That was not the answer she wanted, so she started calling and texting me asking if I would have my dad come install it for her, "He's busy too, please hire an electrician and stop calling me". Also no good apparently, because twice after that she and her weirdo husband showed up at my folks' house, trying to get my dad to come do the install. The second time I was there and told her, in nice terms, that she was creeping me out and needed to take off...

I was selling a $100 item for $20.
Lady #1 offers me $10-15 (not even a price but a range? WTF?!?). No.

So I raised price to $25 and told her she could talk me down to $20. She said no thanks.

I sold it to lady#2 next day for $25.

Almost gave lady #1 a 10% commission on the extra $5 I made.

People Just want to haggle
In the interest of funding new purchases this off season/clearing up my space a bit, I have been off-loading several items to Facebook marketplace.

I love the convenience of being able to post items to multiple pages with the click of a button. I love selling crap and not having to deal with shipping or paypal or venmo or cashapp. Years ago I bought a muzzleloader from someone on this site and had to use my wife's PayPal account. I just hate the funny money.

What I hate worse than the funny money, is I absolutely hate the low ballers. There are people who post things intentionally high in preparation for the inevitable low ballers, I am not one of them. Off loading a couple items that can be found with a quick internet search for $199 and $249 respectively. The $199 item is new in box, part of a warranty claim. The $249 has very light use. Both of these I have priced at $100. In the interest of math we'll just call it 50% off and over 50% off. In my opinion, very good deals on facebook marketplace.

Guy 1: Would you take $80?
Guy 1: What about $90?

At this point I just start ignoring the guy.

Another offer rolls in,
Guy 2: Hey would you get rid of both for $150.
Guy 2: OK, good luck with the sale.
(This interaction I can at least respect, shoot your shot, miss, move on with life)

Hours go by as I'm responding to people.

Guy 1: Are you pretty much set on $100?
Me: Yes.
Guy 1: OK I'll take it for $100.

Looking more and more like guy 1 lost himself a great deal by being a cheap, haggling, POS.

Anybody else deal with these morons?

I’ll haggle prices at the grocery store.
Learned it from my old man.
No shame.
Had to vibe check them at customer service today.
The cashier double scanned my bread and the computer didn’t ring up my $10 off Zyrtec coupon.
I’m not just gonna give away $14.

Recently sold a bow and the conversation went like this:

El Cheapo: "Is the bow still available?"
Me: "Yes, any specific questions I can answer?"
El Cheapo: "Would you take $XXXX?"
Me: "Thanks for the offer, but no."
El Cheapo: "What the #$%^ man, you're never going to sale it at that price. It's overpriced by $XXX."
Me: "Ok, thank you."

Not five minutes later I sold the bow for the asking price. Later that day, El Cheapo sent me another message about the bow. When I told him it was sold, he responded with "F*** you."

🤣

Back