Garage Slush

idnative1948

Some of you may find this really stupid, but those who have a garage what/how do you deal with slush and snow you pick up on your vehicles during the day.
Bad deal on my 60 year-old pour on my garage floor as it is crowned at the center so have been going out to push water out the door every night so I don't have a flood on both sides in the morning (garage never gets lower than 40).

A guy at work told me to take some old lengths of garden hose and fill them with sand and put of both sides of the offending vehicle. Kind of makes sense...

Made the wife park the car outside. I know I am mean, But the bar is in the garage. And both Harleys already have it spoken for. Really need to build another one, life would be so much simpler. Sorry I aint much help!

Made the wife park the car outside. I know I am mean, But the bar is in the garage. And both Harleys already have it spoken for. Really need to build another one, life would be so much simpler. Sorry I aint much help!

Hey, at least you were honest about it and no SA answer. Her vehicle gets parked in half and my tools and woodworking crap in the other half while my PU freezes its bojangles off outside.

I'd look into some of that paint-on garage floor sealer. Easy to apply to the floor with a roller on the floor, and seal up about 2-3 inches up the walls, then it's just a towel-job the next morning. Or, you could get sawdust, kitty litter or that Oil Dry stuff.

I'd look into some of that paint-on garage floor sealer. Easy to apply to the floor with a roller on the floor, and seal up about 2-3 inches up the walls, then it's just a towel-job the next morning. Or, you could get sawdust, kitty litter or that Oil Dry stuff.

Appreciate the idea, but after you have pushed out 8-10 bowling ball chunks of slush and water it gets kind of old and too much for floor dry..Think I am going with the idea of cutting up some old garden hose and fill it with sand on both sides of her vehicle and crack the garage door just a hair to get it outside.

Start knocking the bigger chunks off before pulling into the garage. That way there's less water/mess in the garage. Leaving the garage door open my turn your wet and slushy mess into a frozen and icy mess...

I just wait till winter is over. My slab is only 6 years old though.

Could you cut some grooves where she normally pulls in? Start them shallow and get deeper as you get towards the garage door?

Seems like some kind of a drain would be the ideal solution, but that would take a lot of time and effort to put in.

We have mud to deal with (2 miles off pavement) and we just let it pile up and use a scraper blade and clean it out after it dries up once a month or so. We just use the garage for vehicles though, nothing else in there.

If the day is warm enough to make actual slush, prior to parking in the garage . . . park it outside in the sun and let if fall off . . . before storing in the garage for an extended period of time.

OR

Park it outside, kick the larger blocks off, then pull into the garage.

My garage isn't too bad, I just use the push-broom every opportunity I get to push the chunks out and the water. I make sure there is no water where the garage door comes down ... I've had the door freeze to the ground overnight.

I hear ya. I told my wife yesterday I think she succesfully transported every piece of road sand/debris from her work downtown into our garage this week.

Seems like we have a real winter this year in Boise with the recent white stuff. Lot's of water in the mountains though so that's good.

Get yourself one of them 4 ft. wide rubber bladed squeegees. Open the garage when car is backed out. Squeegee all the chunks, gravel and water out the door, keep door open for 15 min. and usually floor is dry in no time - unless it is below zero.

You can even squeegee down the side of the car while in the garage and out the door if you have an uneven floor.

Doesn't take more than 2 min. usually.

Push brooms are not for water IMO.

Last edited:
Tough deal for sure...

Teh best long term solution would be to cut the slab, re-cast and install a floor drain to a dry well outside.

Cheapest route, funnel the water as described.Hard core routes( and costly) A) Turn the garage into living space then add on a garage with properly pitched slab. B):rolleyes:Most extreme-jack hammer the slab out and pour new slab, but I'm guessing the existing is one hard mutha.If the slab was poured originally with a slope towards the door maybe you could at least jack hammer out the offending heave/crown and repour.Ugly any way you look at it.

Think I am going to do what a guy here at work does with his. Take one of the soft rubber type hoses and just loop it around the vehicle and have the open end toward the door. Lots of good ideas though, gents. But, thinking some of the ideas would cut into my boolit fund:D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shooterwallace78
Back