Yeti GOBOX Collection

Garage rebuild with man room/apartment on second story

That was kinda my assumption, and the “?”.

Still though, what do you think the incremental cost would be on the thread’s project. 10-25% on supplies? Marginal cost on labor.

8ft ceilings suck, only being able to hang elk heads in the gables sucks.
Agreed, 8’ sucks. Our house has 7’8” (really really odd) and I hate it.

Overall material costs for something like this probably get you in that range, but the labor delta is going to be much more than “marginal” just because the lost productivity. Now each stud has to be cut, the drywall finisher will be doing it off a rolling scaffold instead of stilts (much slower), Sheetrock being hung off a scaffold… I’m sure there’s a lot more, but it’s been a very long time since I’ve done any residential work.

Best S.W.A.G. - 30% to be conservative.

@BigHornRam @Backofbeyond could you take the op design and then make the second floor a loft over the bay that’s the “shop”, the on the truck bay there is no second floor, and then a railing down the middle on floor 2.

Hang your elk heads on the now 16ft+ ceiling above the truck bay?

Not quite what I have in mind but kinda….

1667836189310.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you work on your own vehicles? If so I would also get a lift capable of holding 10-15k and I would make the ceiling high enough to lift a full size truck all the way up. I really like the inside picture in post 29 that @wllm shared.

Paris, TX has a legacy of O&G service eff-U money...just NE outside of town on the road to Idabel/Broken Bow, OK, there's a cluster of very nice barndo-maxiums built on rolling manicured acreages commensurate to scale. To me, they're every bit as appealing as the McMansion statements nearer Paris urban.

Something to be said for thoughtful design. Latest trend of barndominians annoys the crap out of me.
That said, half of Montana is happy to live in a double wide to afford a UTV, full size tricked out truck, and a new school muscle car.🤣
I can see doing a barndo if it’s a “we’ll live in the shop while we build the house” kind of thing, but there’s lots to be said about thoughtful design - as in I wish it happened more, specifically in the commercial side.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back