Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Garage rebuild with man room/apartment on second story

@BigHornRam @Backofbeyond could you take the op design and then make the second floor a loft over the bay that’s the “shop”, the on the truck bay there is no second floor, and then a railing down the middle on floor 2.

Hang your elk heads on the now 16ft+ ceiling above the truck bay?

Not quite what I have in mind but kinda….

View attachment 248664
Here’s the rules - we can build anything you want, but we need an engineered drawing first, and you have to be able to pay for it.

Back to the original question… you absolutely could do a loft and 16’ walls, but not for the same price as the original design.

If you are looking for some exceptional design ideas @wllm , check out this bitterroot special on my morning dog walk loop. It's been evolving for about a year and a half. Pretty sure the guy moved here from north Idaho.

View attachment 248678
Oh no my friend, that’s a Montucky original. My people don’t do flatbeds.

I can see doing a barndo if it’s a “we’ll live in the shop while we build the house” kind of thing, but there’s lots to be said about thoughtful design - as in I wish it happened more, specifically in the commercial side.
Thats why our subdivision has clamped down on shop before house. House never gets built. Most people underestimate the true cost of building.

Thats why our subdivision has clamped down on shop before house. House never gets built. Most people underestimate the true cost of building.
uh uh, pick me! pick me!

I've been looking at building a larger shop/apartment above to short-term rent and I just can't friggin' afford it. I swear a white collar job is worthless these days, just another one of @wllm's poors...

Last edited:
If you are looking for some exceptional design ideas @wllm , check out this bitterroot special on my morning dog walk loop. It's been evolving for about a year and a half. Pretty sure the guy moved here from north Idaho.

View attachment 248678
Cover that entire thing with stucco and, voila, New Mexico...no control joints allowed.

uh uh, pick me! pick me!

I've been looking at building a larger shop/apartment above to short-term rent and I just can't figgin' afford it. I swear a white collar job is worthless these days, just another one of @wllm's poors...
Funny stuff. Like I am an elitist because it took me a year to physically build my own house and keep my construction business going....with 10 actual days off out of 365.
Sometimes there are sacrifices to be made....such as traveling around the country hunting multiple states every year.😛

Funny stuff. Like I am an elitist because it took me a year to physically build my own house and keep my construction business going....with 10 actual days off out of 365.
Sometimes there are sacrifices to be made....such as traveling around the country hunting multiple states every year.😛
I spent $2,750 on hunting expenditures this year to date. That would be a single month payment on a loan for what I'm looking at.

We aren't all handy with hammer and nail and shit. I've built two shed and a wood shed. First shed was a parallelagram, didn't know you had to measure x-corners, also the crip wall on the tall side (single pitch) isn't plumb, because how the f' do you hold it in place, and secure it at the same time? I fell off the ladder twice. Shed two (wellhouse) looked great until I started the rafters, the top was another parallelagram, no idea how it spiraled on the way up because the f'n footings were square! Third wood shed, simple structure, built on the little trapizoid concrete blocks, day 3 the wind picked it up and blew it across the property into the creek...

I'm done "building" anything beyond a dog house.

I spent $2,750 on hunting expenditures this year to date. That would be a single month payment on a loan for what I'm looking at.

We aren't all handy with hammer and nail and shit. I've built two shed and a wood shed. First shed was a parallelagram, didn't know you had to measure x-corners, also the crip wall on the tall side (single pitch) isn't plumb, because how the f' do you hold it in place, and secure it at the same time? I fell off the ladder twice. Shed two (wellhouse) looked great until I started the rafters, the top was another parallelagram, no idea how it spiraled on the way up because the f'n footings were square! Third wood shed, simple structure, built on the little trapizoid concrete blocks, day 3 the wind picked it up and blew it across the property into the creek...

We all have our strengths and weaknesses. I have a house and shop but probably never afford to retire. Does that make me one of the"poors:? 😆

You sound over qualified to be north Idaho builder, @neffa3 .

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back