PEAX Equipment

Fwp December commission meeting

Like, kind of similar to how it is now?

But yes electing them could have its own degree of consequences. The main benefit I see is that people wouldn’t be voting for them based on 2A, abortion, etc. I don’t know enough to predict whether we’d end up better off or not, but IMO, voting in MT hasn’t been great for MT wildlife lately, period.
Electing commissioners would be a mistake, as would be electing the director. I won’t go into all the reasons why, but Big Fin laid out why on an old thread. Hunt around, he makes a great case.

The residents in R7 know , or have known for many years now that the mule deer are in huge trouble that’s why 57% of buck harvest in 22’ was from NR cuz a lot of R in 7 aren’t hunting mule deer in 7 . That’s a major part of it . We need regional caps but not just for NR . For every hunter . I still say R are gonna have to give up opportunity . The no b tags on public is a huge step
R hunters have for the most part in R6&7 quit hunting. All we see are Wa, Mn, Wi, and a few western Mt plates. Seeing more ppl than deer in most areas.
In 7 at least there are some large contiguous blocks of private that allow a few deer to survive.

My fear is that we are entering into a “predator pit” as a Ut study I’ve read calls it. This is when the prey base is really low and predator numbers are high. I’ve seen it here in R6 before. It takes a long time for mule deer to get ahead of the curve when coyotes and mountain lions are to numerous.

The residents in R7 know , or have known for many years now that the mule deer are in huge trouble that’s why 57% of buck harvest in 22’ was from NR cuz a lot of R in 7 aren’t hunting mule deer in 7 . That’s a major part of it . We need regional caps but not just for NR . For every hunter . I still say R are gonna have to give up opportunity . The no b tags on public is a huge step
It is not just that locals are not hunting region seven, but that NR are increasingly not able to hunt other parts of the state. I applaud the people in Region 4 for pushing through regulations they think are needed. Unfortunately this is only going to shift NR pressure to 6 and 7. We can not continue to piece meal better management a few units at a time across the state.

FWP should've been the ones to say it a long time ago. 57% of buck harvest in R7 in 22'? C'mon man
Well at least that has been fixed now with this latest meeti…oh wait…no, sorry, carry on.

If you didn’t have Facebook pages sharing waypoints and ONLY hunt eastern MT, residents might feel different about it
We are just more friendly. As soon as I crossed the boarder I felt it in my bones and wanted to share waypoints. 🤷‍♂️

I think the NRs are happy with the progress in these changes. Those on this board have suggested far more stringent limits on tags, at their own pain. But the NRs pay the bills. What is clearly not be recognized is how any of this got done. MOGA suggested most of the changes and even reminded FWP that they needed to be put through public comments and pushed to get that done. That is why FWP sent all those emails about Amendments from the Commissioners last month. Some changes came for commissioners in other regions because the specific region commissioner didn’t want his/her name on it. Old fashioned politics.

Maybe HT needs to set up a committee of DIY public land hunters to work with MOGA, because you can’t get any real change without their approval. And I lived in MY long enough to know how hunters generally feel about outfitters.

Maybe HT needs to set up a committee of DIY public land hunters to work with MOGA, because you can’t get any real change without their approval. And I lived in MY long enough to know how hunters generally feel about outfitters.

The 700 split and some other proposals were floated by MOGA to groups in August. Not sure where that effort went after the meeting but it was good & I think we'll received by most folks.

If HT members want to put a group together, I'll set up the meetings with MOGA & anyone else.

Only rule is that you have to be nice.

The 700 split and some other proposals were floated by MOGA to groups in August. Not sure where that effort went after the meeting but it was good & I think we'll received by most folks.

If HT members want to put a group together, I'll set up the meetings with MOGA & anyone else.

Only rule is that you have to be nice.
Is this a raise your hand thing or let’s start nominating people thing?

Is this a raise your hand thing or let’s start nominating people thing?

I'd say folks would need to be serious about traveling to a central location & be willing to listen & have a cordial conversation. You guys pick 6-8, and we can ask MOGA to participate at the same level.

Any interest in getting back on that horse, @Eric Albus, @Big Shooter ?

I'd say folks would need to be serious about traveling to a central location & be willing to listen & have a cordial conversation. You guys pick 6-8, and we can ask MOGA to participate at the same level.

I’d entertain it for certain. Just a little fyi for those haters of all things good and outfitted, I am a born and raised diy public land hunter

I’m good with it. I can be cordial, if some can’t, that can be dealt with as well. I think it’s a great idea Ben. Thank you.

An excellent point but I would point out that MTFWP hasn't come up with a scientific reason to move to more restrictive management of mule deer in decades. The best they ever come up with is closing the barn door after the horse is gone, out of sight. If I recall they recommended against the le permit up in the 100s, and also against private land only doe B tags. They still allow doe B tags to be filled on public land in several units near me where mule deer are in dire straits. The only unit near me where the deer season has been shortened was proposed by outfitters. MTFWP was fine with the public shooting them to near extinction. I challenge them to come up with a scientific reason to justify their own existence.

Furthermore, we are now forced to team up with MOGA in order to seek change in management because they have representation while the public obviously does not. Let us not forget MTFWP's scientific survey designed to support their stance on management all while claiming that it is the will of the people.

The way I see it, it is all a bunch of political shenanigans. 6 of one, half dozen of the other. I can't point to just when the bios were stripped of the ability to do their job, but it was many years ago. Either that or their brains just work different than pretty much all other biologists in the US.

The struggle here as I see it is... which set of GG's lackeys will hold the reins. It probably doesn't matter; we all know where we are going.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back