Future hunts?

Duck-Slayer

Who all out there still Plans out of all their hunts, years in advance? Right now I am in the process of planning Colorado deer, Colorado elk, Wyoming elk, Wyoming pronghorn, plus I am planning deer, elk, pronghorn for my wife and both my children that hunt now. I think my next eight or nine years are already planned. That is unless I somehow draw a good New Mexico elk tag or one of the big three here in Idaho.
Matt

Last edited:
You have to have a long term perspective if you want to hunt out of state. Long Mid and Short term are the ways I have various states and species slotted. Utah is gonna be a long term Blue chip state. Swing for the fences. Wyoming and Colorado are mid level 4-6 years for elk and deer, Oregon is a short term low point hunt. CA mule deer I've waited 10 years and I'm going to keep chasing the point creep in my unit for deer. I've scouted that unit twice already without a tag. When I draw I know where I'm going.

Nevada is a Short Term Planning Hunt. I put in for low point archery tags for deer and Elk is a longshot. Ideally I will hunt low point species in units that hold a monster in another specie. That way when I draw the long shot specie, I know the country.

I also like hunting in pretty areas. Somewhere I can take the family in the summer and "hike" ;) and "camp" .

I’m always planning years in advance. That said, my plans have been known to change regularly. I spend a lot of time looking at google earth/onX for my future planned hunts years in advance.

So my long leg plan is AZ I won’t even think of applying till I have at least six pts. Short and mid is mostly in state of NV. I can draw 10 as a resident for mule deer every year for archery and it’s less than 20min from my house to my favorite spots. For elk if I don’t draw any antlerless or spike in NV. Then it’s CO otc. That will probably happen every other year or so. Mix in antelope buck every 3 or 4 yrs in state and doe every couple of years. Only apply for goat and sheep in state if it happens great if not I’ll survive. I’ve played around with adding WY to my list but financially doesn’t make sense right now. That should put 2-3 tags in my pocket a year which is more than enough to eat up my PTO.

I had been planning a MT sheep hunt since last year but that went to pot after the draw. Same with my NM elk,deer, and ID elk hunt planned for this year. Oh well back to the drawing board.
Seriously though I apply in very few preference point States and lean more to straight up draw or bonus States and general hunts.

Every year though, my fall season ends up looking a lot different than what I originally plan for.
Same here it seems plan A rarely works out. Some states I apply in make it fairly easy to plan ahead like Colorado and Wyoming. Others are almost impossible like New Mexico, Idaho, and, South Dakota. I have long term plans for Wyoming elk and deer ( did pronghorn last year), Colorado for elk, pronghorn, deer, moose, and sheep, South Dakota for deer, antelope, and bison. I enjoy the strategy behind lining everything up it can be rewarding and frustrating.

I have rough ideas. After this year, it might be a while before I can get back to WY. Was hoping to use some CO deer points
as well, but that might be pushed out 3-4 more years now. The reality of the point creep, unfortunately.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back