Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Fur friendly caliber/.223 bullet

I shoot a Winchester 45 gr hollow point out of my .223 and have had great success with them on coyotes - never an exit.

I use 55 grain Hornady Vmax on coyotes out of my AR15. I can't remember the last time I had a pass through. You get one small entrance hole and once it gets in the lungs and heart get scrambled with no exit. If you're only worried about fur, I would highly recommend these, and the bullets can be bought as components to reload.
I'd agree for coyotes as I use the same. Like @brockel said though fox are different they seem to tear and damage very easy.

Fmj's out of 223
I 2nd this idea but it still may be a bit much. It's a tuff one unless you have some real experience with this. Many factors to think about (distance, angle of shot and much more). A 22Mag. may also be a good option???

I have shot a few red fox and a few ground hogs with the hornaday sxsp 50grn ALL no exit. Pretty sure it is the softest 22 bullet as if my memory is correct they can't be used above 223 velocities.

Yep. Me too. Mine is a 788. I know a guy with two early 700's. He won't part with either of them. Sweet little cartridge. mtmuley
Mine is a 788 as well. It belonged to my uncle, very special rifle to me, besides the fact that it is ridiculously accurate.

Last edited:
Mine is a 788 as well. It belonged to my uncle, very special rifle to me, besides the fact that it is ridiculously accurate.
Easily the most accurate rifle I own. Economy Remington when they came out. Hey choc dogs, gonna tip a High Life for ya. There used to be a shoot at our local range put on by Cooper. First prize was any Cooper rifle you wanted. I wanted to shoot with my 788. Nope. Had to shoot with a Cooper. Scared of my little Remmy maybe. mtmuley

Last edited:
My favorite (actually only, but whose counting) triple deuce is the top half of a savage combo gun-222/20. Killed my first grouse, and many after with it. Open sight keep me around 100 yards or so, but I’m not all that mad at coyotes anymore.

My favorite (actually only, but whose counting) triple deuce is the top half of a savage combo gun-222/20. Killed my first grouse, and many after with it. Open sight keep me around 100 yards or so, but I’m not all that mad at coyotes anymore.
I’m pissed at them from November to February

The 55 grain FMG’s are great on coyotes, and if you’re stuck on the 223 try the Barnes varmint Grenades. Nice small entry but catastrophic inside with no exit

I have several predator guns. My go to is my 17 hornet. I reload my own ammo and run 20 grain hollow points. It's a great gun for fox and bobcats. My brother has the 22 hornet and same great results on cats and fox. We both have taken coyotes and within 200 yards they are hitting the dirt hard. I hunt thicker desert mountain country and I don't get many shots over 100 yards. I don't push my coyote shots past that with these smaller hornet rounds. When I am hunting more open country I run a 223 when I wanna be more fur friendly. When I don't really care about the fur I run my 22-250.

So this is discussed in depth online, but my search here was unsuccessful. My simple question is, is there one round that can be used for coyotes, bobcat, and fox. The reason I ask is I have been using my AR 15 and have been shooting 55 gr Hornady varmint bullets. This seems to be ok for coyote, but not for fox, they seem to explode. I know a lot of people use the .17 caliber for fox only, but it's not enough for coyotes according to my research. So it would be nice not to have to carry multiple rifles. Any suggestions would be great. Oh and I would really like it if it was a .223 round. My wife would not be ok with me buying another rifle right now. Thanks in advance!
The other alternative is change out the barrel on the AR to 1/7 or 1/8 twist and shoot long 223 bullets like 69 or 77 grain Sierras at 2700 will punch a hole without expanding or tumbling like 62 gr green tip. I have plenty if you want to try some give me a call.

Back