Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Fur friendly 6mm bullets?

1_pointer

I was wondering if any fur friendly 6mm bullets exists? What about the 55-58gr bullets out of a smaller 6mm like a Rem BR? Or the slightly larger ones, say 70gr out of the larger cases (ie 6-284 or 6-06)? How 'unfriendly' are they? Just curious, as a smallish 6mm (ie PPC or BR) seems like a fun predator/smaller big game round.

1_Pointer
In the earlier 80's I started experimenting with the 6-284 for long range Prime Coyotes. It seems i have slowly over the years reduced bullet Mass in the 6-284 in order to find a workable outcome, Today and after 4 different Barrels, I currently shoot the 68gr Berger at 4200, and i MUST limit its use to 300 and beyond. However, I have had very good results with my 240coyote (6ppc imp) using full metal jacketed bullets and solids on red fox over the snow at night! Shots can be pin-point placed to avoid heavy bone hits and it arrows em. Some of the fox have run a ways, but we are yet to loose a single one. I still hunt Reds over the snow at night but now i call them into under 100 and use my .14 on em. On Coyotes, heavy solids in the 6-284 did not fair as well as coyotes have more Heart in -em than do reds and silvers, and if theres one thing i HATE worse than damaged Fur it's a lost animal. Fortunately over the years i have had only a few of those. In fact I will pass on a shot unless I feel very confident that I can place the bullet where I want it. Blaine

I have a 6JDJ that I took quite a few coyotes with. The Barnes 75 gr. X bullet punches in and out without leaving a mess. The Nosler B Tips in any weight are not fur friendly. Larry Sanders an ADC man in Colorado uses a 243 and 95 gr. B Tips because in his words "I want to leave a hole I can stick my boot in."

Thanks for the input. Seems the 6mm is not very fur friendly. I'll keep that in mind for the future.

Just a quick note, be awhile before I can say whats a good 6mm bullet---BUT I just recieved my Rem 788 back, Douglas light barrel, caliber 6x45 thats 6mm- 223, loaded a few rounds and got rained out, I have 70 gr Hornady SP and HP,75 gr Sierra hp, and Hornady 75 hp, 80 gr Rem, plus afew I probably forgot, downloading no problem, it should only get up to 2800-2900. I have Varget and 4895 to play with.
neat little gun.
Richard Grantham [email protected]

My partner Tim shot a few with the 100 gr. partition in his .243 last year. About as minimal of fur damage as I've seen with that rifle yet. He used the 55's and 58's at 4,000 fps quite a bit. Sometimes, they won't exit, but more often they were real messy.

- DAA

Rich G- Let me know how that works out for you, as I think that would be a neat one! The 6mm 55gr Bal. Tip has a better BC than the .224 55gr BT, plus the 6mm will start out faster! Then you have the option of bumping up to some heavier weights for longer shots.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back