Friggen Huge!

Big Sky

Normally I don't pick up dead fish along the bank, much less take a photograph of them. However I made an exception this morning. As I was fishing along the Missouri hoping to land some spawning rainbows I stumbled upon this sitting on the bank under a tree. What I wouldn't give to catch a mega-walleye like this. Nice to know fish like this exist in the water I was fishing.
TroyAdamsWalleyeHolterDam4-21-14_zpse02ef153.jpg

One of the guides in Craig probably whacked that fish in order to protect their rainbows.;)

I did not weigh it, but it was a just a shade over 32" long. Just for the record once I saw this fish I did switch my tackle to something that either a trout or a walleye would hit. The trout did cooperate, but never even got a sniff from the walleye as far as I know.

Anyone else thinking about a fish fry at the moment?? Might take all the walleyes between Holter and Cascade to feed a HT Walleye fry...

Kill 'em & eat 'em, kill 'em & leave 'em on the bank. Makes no difference to me, so long as those walleye are dead.

:D

Back at ya BL.......whatever your comment even means?

It was a play on the "smoke a pack a day" slogan for wolves.

Walleye in this stretch of the river are not desirable by a large number of folks, especially since they were illegally introduced to begin with in the lakes above the river. The stretch between Holter Dam & Cascade is considered the second best trout fishery in the state in terms of size of fish and fish per mile. The Walleye are coming over the dam during high water events, or swimming upstream.

FWP along with Trout Unlimited have pushed for liberal regulations in order to limit the growth of the walleye fishery at the expense of the trout fishery.

Both the trout & walleye are non-natives. If we were to restore the fishery, it would be sauger, ling & cutthroat.

Well then... If someone was to fish that area and try to target some Walleye, anyone have any recommendations of what to use? I have a spinning rod that needs a good workout... Or... Anyone have success with sinktip's and streamers?

1/8 ounce jig tipped with minow - use a 3 inch berkley gulp live too. depends on the flow / how heavy of a jig you use.
a buck shot spoon in silver minnow is good for jiggin too.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back