Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Free-range Texas Aoudad, Whitetail, Axis, Black Buck, Elk, Sika-Game Pictues

Fair enough. Perspective is everything.
So is it just the off season? Or the different experience? Or the weather? All of them?
Im just trying to gain perspective.

Off season only? Yes, too much to do with them around here during the season. Different experience? You bet. Just like going to disneyland, I dont mind trying things once especially if I know my kids would have a great time. Weather? Not so much.

Hell, as long as it's free-range and not a high fence I'd do it just to experience a new place, hunt a new critter, and have fun. Plus they look pretty cool on the wall. Do I think it'd be that same as getting a bighorn out of the MF Salmon country? Nope, but many do call a lot of the hunts for auodads a poor man's sheep hunt. I think it'd be fun and a neat experience; one I hope to do in the next 5 years.

I would for sure shoot a black bear over a bait barrel stuffed with doughnets in Idaho. ;) :D I'll also shoot all the half tame rooster pheasants that Pheasants Forever puts out in Idaho that I can find as well.

I killed my first Aoudad last month in west Texas on a 10000 acre ranch, There are maybe 15 feeders on this whole place and not a high fence around. I have yet to hunt anything under a feeder except hogs/javelinas. I'm sure the exotics and deer both use the feeders and thats what they are there for, to help feed the animals in a very harsh and rugged terrain. I am from Iowa and have hunted Texas a few times and unless you have actually hunted there you really should think before you speak. I can see why HCC puts the pictures up of animals at a feeder because it would be hard as hell to catch them out in the wide open long enough to get them to smile for the camera!! Those sheep can move up and over those mountains with incredible ease. The trail cameras are a great way to see what you have on your ranch and can be very helpful in herd management. I saw a group of 25 or so sheep when i shot mine and we hunted another 5 days and never saw that group again, and that was out walking and climbing those mountains, not riding around looking out the window of the jeep. To me i would really like to have pictures of what class of animal is out there before i go so i know what to expect. Most people wont buy or pay for anything sight unseen!!! Having hunted there and NOT being from Texas i can say its not as easy as you guys think. Animals dont have a set time to be anywhere!!! Just my 2 cents!!

TLC. So lets say an average guy in oh I don't know Illinois or somewhere saves up a bunch of money to go on a poor mans once in a lifetime hunt. Why would he go to lets say Texas and hunt with this guy.
When he can go to any number of states and hunt public land for free with over the counter, easy to draw, or leftover tags? If that's what he wants to do then he should but why?

not ignoring. eye doc visit to see why the eyes aren't healing properly. anyways, if as you say, it's a once in a lifetime hunt for aoudads, guessing that's what you mean since that's what the guy has pictures of, not sure there are a whole bunch of states that have completely free ranging aoudads. no background checks done here, so don't know. anyways, if the guy saves up his money, and has his heart set on getting one of these things, then yes, I do see why he would want help in getting one. and I see no problem with that. not sure why you, or anyone else would either. ther guy saved up for "X" number of years so he could hang one on the wall. what's the problem with getting help?

now, let's talk about something more common. I like bear hunting. been to idaho twice. both with an outfitter out of kamiah. idaho has planty of public land. they also have plenty of bears. saw 17 first trip out. but, is bear hunting something someone should do with zero experience? my opinion is, no. if you have no clue about something, then getting help is the way to go. people can explain what a wounded bear can do. but seeing it is a whole nother story, right? do you really want someone from illinois, out wandering around the big woods, with no clue what he is doing, chasing bears? I don't. and didn't. and let's not forget that the weather in the mountains is a whole lot different than what it is here in the flatlands. elevation of 600 feet is a lot easier on someone than 6000 feet. been there, done that. so, we have someone with no experience, at an altitude they will have trouble breathing in, wandering around BIG woods like they have never been in before, chasing something that has the potential to kill them. does that sound like a smart thing to do?

now, let's look at something like an antelope. from the pictures that have been posted, you can see for a pretty fair distance when hunting these things. takes care of the wandering part with no clue for the most part. elevation is higher, but more flat. makes for an easier walk than climb. sure it's happened, but haven't seen anyone post they got charged, or almost rolled over by one of these things. (who posted the link to Toms brush bull?) so the safety factor is much higher.

point is, it really depends on the critter and the circumstances listed above.

now, since you want to keep this going your turn. easy one. you say do the DIY hunt. you going to go to say, africa and do a lion hunt on your own? if it were legal. or mauybe this would be more realistic. how brave you going to be going on an aligator hunt down in the swamps of louisiana by yourself? after all, there's all that free access water down there.

Do we need a guide for redfish:eek:

That makes me wonder I need to research a combo trip. Might need a bigger boat.

Why not go huge? You guys should consider the Loan Star Bluewater Fishing Ranch

opener_boats.jpg

Is there a kill fee or is it all catch and release in the high fence fishing????????????? LOL

now, since you want to keep this going your turn. easy one. you say do the DIY hunt. you going to go to say, africa and do a lion hunt on your own? if it were legal. or mauybe this would be more realistic. how brave you going to be going on an aligator hunt down in the swamps of louisiana by yourself? after all, there's all that free access water down there.
With a lot of research I absolutely would! Although I wouldn't expect everyone to.

When did this turn into a researching and planning thread?

Now go rest your eyes, maybe they will heal.

...low fence fishing.
You ought to see the Bonefish Ranch they are building on the west shore of The Great Salt Lake. The solar water heating panels alone cover a half section and fresh fish are choppered in every week from the Bahamas.

With a lot of research I absolutely would! Although I wouldn't expect everyone to.

When did this turn into a researching and planning thread?

Now go rest your eyes, maybe they will heal.

here's some help with the research,
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Latest...ills-female-volunteer-at-California-zoo-video

when you asked for my opinion on how to hunt something that was once in a lifetime.

been resting them since the surgery. first in jan, second in feb. still a little blood floating around. you'd think sucking the fluid out of someone's eye, then replacing it, you'd have less blood left?

IMG_0131_zps6572589e.jpg

You ought to see the Bonefish Ranch they are building on the west shore of The Great Salt Lake. The solar water heating panels alone cover a half section and fresh fish are choppered in every week from the Bahamas.

Seriously?? Wow. Well, at least that lake and the land bordering it can be used for something... :rolleyes:

Seriously?? Wow. Well, at least that lake and the land bordering it can be used for something... :rolleyes:
no. And the high fence fishing ranch was also an old April fools joke by Sport Fishing Magazine :D

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back