Freaks, Drops, Cheaters and Stickers

lbirch

I was hunting with my muzzleloader several years ago and came across this buck. His left side was visible as he stood broadside with a few other deer in this meadow. A quick glance through my binoculars and I could tell he was a smallish buck and one I would pass on. I watched as they fed and none were aware of any danger. He turned as he fed and I noticed something weird on his right side but it was hard to tell what it was exactly. Velvet, brush, I couldn't tell. Then he turned enough that it wasn't shaded and I could tell it was a drop tine. I've never seen one before and this one was pretty long. I decided to take him.

I pulled the hammer back on my TC encore and turned on the dot on my Millet red dot scope. I put the dot on the buck and fired. He went down in the very spot he stood in. I was pretty excited to say the least. My first drop tine buck with my new encore.

As I walked up to him looking for the drop time it was gone. Was I seeing things or did I need a better pair of binos? I lifted the buck's head and found the drop in pieces around him. When he fell the drop broke off in 3 or 4 pieces. I was a bit discouraged as I gathered up the pieces and put them in my pack. I took care of the buck and took him back to camp and didn't save his cape. It wasn't until months later that I decided to have it mounted. The taxidermist had a cape and did a great job putting the drop back together and it really looks natural. I'm glad I had him mounted.

Since then I've seen one other buck with a cheater and was lucky enough to tag him. His picture has been on here before.

If you have any pictures of your freaks, drops, cheaters or sticker bucks then I'd like to see them. They are a treat to see and even cooler to find and tag one. Lets see them.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Really wanted to get one of these 2 droptine bucks with my bow this season. Had them patterened coming off of public and feeding on private at night during the summer. Darn fires came along and displaced them right before season opened. Haven't seen them since. Hopefully get another shot next year. Sorry for the bad pics, I'm no MTMiller.

Attachments

• Sony1 034.jpg
    Sony1 034.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 1,297
  • Sony1 036.jpg
    Sony1 036.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 1,320
  • Sony1 039.jpg
    Sony1 039.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 1,302
  • GEDC0134.jpg
    GEDC0134.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 1,296
I've posted this before but love looking at this guy everyday. He's more of a cheater/sticker guy. The only buck I've even had a chance at shooting with extras was the one on an OYOA episode in eastern montana. We never got that buck but he would of been my best to date.

gpadeernew.jpg

Shot this weirdo about 10 years ago.

DSC_1455_zps5b9e4775.jpg

Nice pics. That last one is really freaky. I had a chance to kill a stag buck a few years ago but passed on him.

BTW. Does anyone know how to move threads? I should've posted this in the deer forum. I'm two for two on posting mistakes tonight.

Last edited:
An urban buck we have had around town the last couple years. never sheds his velvet or sheds. got some good photos this summer. LIL

Attachments

• titan.jpg
    titan.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 1,148
My son's archery buck this year. 4 inch drop on the right side.

Attachments

• 100_0047.jpg
    100_0047.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 1,109
  • 100_0048.jpg
    100_0048.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 1,150
  • Matt's Buck.jpg
    Matt's Buck.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,113
2009 NV Archery Buck

My buddy tagged this buck on the opener in 2009, I got to film the hunt. He pin wheeled him at 45 yards. He ran 50 yards and collapsed.

Attachments

• Snap 2012-12-17 at 08.11.57.jpg
    Snap 2012-12-17 at 08.11.57.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 1,036
Heres an Eastern WA buck from a few years ago. If I remember right counting eyegaurds he had 10 on one side and 9 on the other.
SANY0347.JPG

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back