Forget caliber and bullet, let’s talk shot placement

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
That bullet hit his upper front leg bone where it joins the shoulder blade. At least half of that shoulder instantly turned into bloodshot mush. He died instantly, but I considered that shot had destroyed too much meat.
Interesting. I’ve killed at least 8-10 elk with my .338-06 and a Barnes bullet where I hit somewhere around the point of the shoulder, either on the entrance or exit. Not a single one resulted in any significant amount of lost meat.

You’ll get no argument for me a broadside shot is always better. We’ve obviously just had different experiences with the amount of meat lost that comes from hitting the shoulder.

That bullet hit his upper front leg bone where it joins the shoulder blade. At least half of that shoulder instantly turned into bloodshot mush. He died instantly, but I considered that shot had destroyed too much meat.
More damage done from exploding bone than the bullet.

As should be expected.

Again, falls to placement.

I’d rather not hit a shoulder bone but I’d prefer a little lost meat than no dead elk.

I’ll admit to firing at an elk until it’s on the ground. Most elk get about three shots from me, the last as it’s tipping over.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back