Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

FORD 6.0 PSD

SPOTTED OWL

I'm looking at buying a used Ford f250 4x4 with the powerstroke diesal. Ford came out with the 6.0 sometime in 2003. Anyone out there have any opinions on the 6.0 verses the proven 7.3? Also,
what about trannys? Manual or auto. I will do some towing, but not alot.

Thanks,

Bryan

Spotted Owl, I have a 2004 6.0 F250 CC SB. I love my Truck it has a ton of power and is very fast. I get about 16.5 mpg's in town. It drops to 13 mpg's when towing. I have pulled a 23' TT and a pop-up with it. The pop-up you didn't even know it was there.
I would probably stay away from the 2003 6.0's they did about 40 mechanical changes on the motor in the first year. A big problem in 2003 motors was the fuel injectors going bad. The 2004 motors where installed in PSD's starting in early to late Oct 2003. There is an engine decal that will tell you what year your motor is. The Fords come with a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty. I got an extented warranty taking it to 7 years or 84,000. I will hit my miles after 4 years. The warranties are transferable so that is something to look for. IF you don't change your own oil it will run you about $100 an oil change. I do mine every 5000. Manuel, sez you can go 7500. They are expense to maintaine. But they are a ton of fun to drive and they make roadtrips a blast. If possible get a Crewcab. The backseat is plenty comfortable for passengers. I would buy my truck again. I hope to get another one in 2008. I would be perfectly happy to have a new one every 4 years. Good Luck, JLG.

JLC:

Thanks for the response. Thats the kind of info I am looking for. I will get the crew cab version with the short box. I'll try to get a late 2003 or a 2004. It will be tough to get one with a manual tranny, but I'll try. Question: How much did you have to pay for a extended warranty?

SO. The truck was new. The dealer wanted $4000, but my Credit Union, sold me one for $2000. I want to pickup a work car and cut my miles down to trips & family outings. The truck is a guilty pleasure. Had it 11 months and the new still hasn't ware off. If you get one you will enjoy it. Good Luck, JLG.

I have a late model 2003 with the 6.0 PSD

As discussed it has a ton of power and it great to drive. I have had the computer flashed several times and had to have a bunch of sensors replaced, however, beyond that no problems with fuel injectors or anything else.

Get the auto tranny, it has been redesigned and works like a champ!

If you are interested, here are some Pics

Spotted Owl, I think the 6.0 is the one Steve bought last year.
It's the ext. cab ,long box and has the auto tranny with the tow package?
The tranny will down shift on its own when you touch the breaks going down hill?
I think he wasn't sure about the new 6.0 but it was after the did some re-design on it?
( Not that I don't hear when he is talking about )LOL
I don't drive it much but I love this truck,it tows our trailer and all of our gear like it's not there.
Over all the trucks we have had ,chevy,dodge,ford, the ford's have felt the best to me while towing ,it's like it not there.
The last ford we had we liked alot except the tranny kept going out, the warranty was running out, so we decided to buy a new truck.
I would have Steve buy it all over again.
Give Steve a call anytime he can give you detail's,all I know is that I would not want to be without it.
On our moose hunt we had three adults & one kid, we were towing a 25 ft. trailer with one ATV in the bed on a rack and all the gear for a 9 day trip,on the return trip we had added two moose to the load.
It ran like a champ .

Email me and I can give you our # ,Steve love's to talk about truck's and hunting LOL

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back