Caribou Gear Tarp

For starters?

the nikster

My wife and I would like to get into reloading to improve our grouping (although we are both really happy with factory results so far).
It would be another way to spend time together and enjoy the outdoors.
I own (2) 7mm Rem Mag rifles and she LOVES her new .243 WIN. We would need to be able to work on loads for both.
We do not need to push a button and have a complete cartridge drop. But if that makes the most sense.....
Really, I am looking at entry level purchase advice knowing that we might be needing to upgrade if we really enjoy the process.
Is the Lee system a good place to start or should we just start with an RCBS master?
Or does Hornady ot Lyman have a better starter system?
I don't want to buy a 'complete' system then have to buy another 1/2 dozen parts to get in the game--I know I still need brass, bullets, primes, etc.
I know I will get different responses based on brand loyalty. That is what I want. Sell me on your equipment, you might say something that I have not yet factored in.
Also, is it important to remain consistent throughout or does somebody make a great/cheap press, somebody else makes good dies, and somebody else has the best whatever? is mix and match ok or should it be avoided?

I mix and Mach started rcbs rock chucker.really like redding dies but rcbs makes many different levels of dies haven't really played with the top of line rcbs dies yet. It's a fun hobby to play around with in the off season.

The RCBS Master kit is a great place to start. Read the intro to the loading manual a few times, mistakes are easy to make and hard to recover from. Start loading in small batches, load by yourself, answering questions or BS'ing will get you distracted and that's when mistakes happen. The only thing I'd like on top of the kit is an automatic powder dispenser/scale. The RCBS charge master has good reviews. Reloading can be very rewarding and can save you some serious money. Good Luck.

The one piece of RCBS equipment I would avoid is their case trimmer, check out Lyman or others instead.

I second the suggestion of an automatic, electronic powder dispenser and scale. I have the RCBS Chargemaster and I really like it. It's a huge boost to productivity, and I've noticed more consistent velocities with it (the chronograph doesn't lie). At the minimum, I would suggest a high quality electronic scale.

Keep a detailed log book of all your loads and measurements. Its a relaxing and rewarding hobby. There is nothing like killing an animal with a load you worked up.

I bought a Lee 2000 kit over 30 yrs ago and it's served me just fine. I doubt they make the same set up nowadays, but if you are looking to get into reloading and not immediately shell out $$$$ Lee is hard to beat. I will say though, money spent on a good scale is money well spent. My RCBS scale is accurate to 1/100 of a grain and I really appreciate being able to actually see each granule of powder register weight change.

These have about all you need to get up & running.
http://leeprecision.com/reloading-kits/single-stage-reloading-kits/

Last edited:
My personal ballistician (a.k.a. my son) seems to prefer Hornady, Redding or Forster dies, but we have several RCBS dies as well. We're using a RCBS Rock Chuker press, it's the only one I have any experience with personally. The RCBS Charge Master scale will add expense to your setup, but it is a very accurate powder dispenser and worth the expense in my opinion. Reloading can give very accurate/dependable results and is enjoyable ............ but I'm glad my son enjoys it even more than I do and does most of the work.

I use RCBS press with redding, Hornady, and RCBS dies. I prefer the redding and Hornady dies to the RCBS dies. Hornady bullet comparator head space gauge and o give gauge. L.E. Wilson case trimmer. RCBS case prep center and RCBS charge master. RCBS case blocks. RCBS hand priming device. A quality caliber either digital or dial type is essential to reloading. I have a RCBS rangemaster 750 scale ( it is a digital scale) that has never been used that you are more than welcome to if you would like it.

I have a lee reloading kit and it has been great. The powder measure is nice and the press is adequate. The primer tool is ok but the rcbs is much nicer. I think the lee kit would be a great starter set and may be what you stick with later on like I did. I really like rcbs dies, theircustomer service is hard to beat. Hornady one shot is the only lube to use in my opinion. Oh yea, the lee powder scale is kinda rinky dink but has done ok. I will be upgrading that next.

Do you know anyone that reloads? Maybe you can talk to them and have them show you what their setup is? They may show you the steps required and even help you get a starter set.

The RCBS Rockchucker or Partner kit and Redding dies would be sufficient. I would suggest a powder measurer/thrower over an electronic dispenser. I use one for a few high volume pursuits, but for my big game rifles a regular balance scale is fast enough for me. I'd rather put the money towards more components.

The Partner Press is a bit less heavy duty and therefore less expensive than the Rockchuker, but has served me well. I think one would have to shoot ALOT to wear one out.

A Lee kit is good, but upgrade the scale with an RCBS.

I bought one 15(?) years ago with the intention of buying nicer stuff at some point in the future. Never felt the need after I got started though.

Partner kit from rcbs has worked for me for 25+ years, press isn't as heavy duty as a rockchucker, but i don't need to load 50 bmg. Beam scale works fine, not as fast as some of the electronic systems, speed isn't that big a deal to me, but i do have a powder trickler to sneak up to final weight. I prefer Hornady dies, they just seem smoother to me. I currently load a couple rifle cartridges from 243 to 338 win mag, and this system seems to handle them all.

My wife and I are deep into research now! Comparing all of the advice/availability/components and long term replacement needs. It is surprising to see how many are not available or back ordered. I like the idea of the full rockchucker kit but she is leaning towards a smaller kit like the Lee or the Partner. I think I may have an arm wrestle coming on!

Get the big kit. You'll find yourself wanting more and better tools fairly quickly I bet. mtmuley

I bought the RCBS rock chucker supreme kit (with electronic dispenser and scale) and have been really happy with it. Since my purchase, I’ve grown to prefer Redding dies over RCBS, but haven’t used Hornady, or Lee. Along the way I’ve purchased random accessories like flash hole reamers, a neck turner, concentricity gauge, Hornady Lock N Load OAL and Headspace Gauges and Redding Match Grade Powder Dispenser.

Since I shoot mostly extruded powders the powder dispenser doesn’t meter too well. I was somewhat disappointed given it is their match grade level, but maybe if I run more spherical it will get better. That said I don’t reload in crazy volumes so the electronic dispenser never bottlenecks me. I suspect when I start loading for my 223 that may change.

It’s fun to get into and pick up a trick here and there to experiment with. It is certainly something you can make as complicated as you want.

Pretty good advice above. Ive had my Rockchucker for almost 25 years.
I like Redding dies but also have RCBS & Hornady.

Like mentioned above......take your time, pay close attention and avoid distractions. Mistakes can be serious.

I use both a lee press and a RCBS rockchucker and like them both. If you buy the Lee starter kit, don't even bother with the scale that comes with it, get a good electronic scale. I use mostly rcbs dies, and lyman case trimming tools. make sure you write down every load that you try, even if your rifle doesnt end up liking it, at least that way you can keep track of what works and what doesnt. good luck and have fun.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back