Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Football is not for the meek....

JLS- That's why litigation and outside influences are so important. People against making this change are foolish or at least fool-hearty. Letting the NCAA govern themselves is a lot like putting the fox in charge of the hen house. Their main (and I personally believe only) motivation is their pocket book/ bottom line. It takes class action law suits for concussions and other major injury to modify the rules at all. Let's be honest, we all like to see those huge hits with helmets flying...it puts fans in the seats and money in the NCAA coffers. This change IMO should have happened well before the concussion lawsuits began in the NFL. As you say...and I alluded to, the 18-22 year olds won't speak on their own behalf to protect themselves...

Last edited:
Football's ability to generate surplus money varies in college. Dozens of programs like Florida State make big money. Hundreds of programs like Mount St. Joseph do not. Brain injuries are documented to lead to long term health issues. NCAA will lose upcoming court cases. Rules will be changed that govern practices and games. If you cheer against the rule changes then that is your choice. The game will survive just as NHL did when helmets were made mandatory.

My biggest gripe with the rule, as I understand it, is that it is an ejection with no chance for video review. IMO, if it's going to be an ejectionable offense it needs either; 1. first a warning + 15yd penalty then ejection or 2. be reviewable. NCAA refs are pretty darn good, but to make that call on literally a bang, bang play with that kind of repurcussions is a tall order.

1-pointer- you make a good point. I've heard some say there will be replay, some say there won't be replay. In either case, protecting the athlete (both offensive and defensive) is the major concern. If it becomes apparent too many ejections are happening with legal tackles, I'm sure the coaches and players and fans will put enough pressure on the NCAA to allow for instant replay. In the long run, it's probably best to side with caution as opposed to becoming bankrupt with law suits.

My biggest gripe with the rule, as I understand it, is that it is an ejection with no chance for video review. IMO, if it's going to be an ejectionable offense it needs either; 1. first a warning + 15yd penalty then ejection or 2. be reviewable. NCAA refs are pretty darn good, but to make that call on literally a bang, bang play with that kind of repurcussions is a tall order.

I guess it will be like having a yellow line in the outfield for home runs, not the best idea. I guess they have to start somewhere.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mowglimadness
Back