Caribou Gear

FOOD

Casey.. I added up my stuff and I think It's around the $300 mark. I'm guessing Ovis have around $80. I could use some more for future stuff (HOW long are they goos for.. Long time right ?)

Anyways, let us know what kind of Mark~off you can get and We'll place Our order
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Otherwise I'm getting my food bought in the next few days...... Thanx !!!

Going out to the garage tonight to count up how many I have left over from last year. I'd say a more accurate figure would be about 7 meals, so $35-$40 retail.

I wan't the 20 oz meals.

Moosie

Did I tell you how to make cheesecake while out in the field? Before you leave, mix up some instant Jello cheesecake filling with powdered milk. Once out in the bush, pour in your H2O and if available, fresh blueberries. Mmmmm-mmmm good!

smile.gif
vis

Rethink ? I went over the list many a times... We have 16 days.

Mornings will constist of one day Cereal and dehydrated milk, the next Instans Eggs/bacon (only 2-3 Oz each)

Lunches will be 1 each of string cheese, candybar, jerkey, fruitsnack, some nuts.. And I don't have the List in front of me but thats about it, Not A whole lot considering we'll be hiking and PAcking and usually I sit at a Computer eating a Supersized Burger and coke and Fries and a shake
eek.gif

Dinner will be 1 dehydrated meal each.

I sure don't see how to cut that down ? I'll be loosing weight daily aes it is, Calculate up how much weight you took for the 5 day Caribou hunt then Multiply it by 3. What is your weight for food ?

If you can shave off weight without making me eat Oatmeal
wink.gif
I'd do it... But it can't be done, And... It doesn't make sence. I could leave the Exra Knife set I brought at a Couple pounds and Add 1/2 dozen more meals. The food isn't were the Weights at....

But I'm all ears bro !!! (And a little bit belly too
wink.gif

I think it is important to realize, Moosie isn't doing a backpack hunt, rather a drop hunt. So long as he and his Pop are within the allowable weight for the plane, it makes no difference how much food you take. For 10 days, my food runs about 8-10 lbs, and it includes things such as a granola bar or breakfast bar a day, a mixture of power bars, snickers, jerky, nuts divided up for a lunch a day, and one mountain house meal a day...not much at all. Moosie is packing for 16 days and two people who's intake may be a bit more than mine. I figure, 3 lbs of food per day between the two, so about 45-50 lbs of weight just in food, which I thought you were going to get food dropped off in two loads, one for each hunt.

Take what you want, just make sure you don't exceed your allowable weight.

smile.gif
vis

Ohhh...and might I add, if it bothers you that much, you should be repackaging your food Moosie. Before you get on the bush plane, you should open all of the outer wrappings on your mountain house meals and tape them shut with scotch tape not masking tape (cough, cough LBG...remember that mistake, hehe), also, say you take a can of nuts, toss the can and use a ziplock, same thing with the powdered milk. For chits and giggles, toss all your excess packagings and see how much bulk and weight it adds up to be.

smile.gif
vis

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Instans Eggs Ham <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
What are "Instans", are they read-to-eat, or are they dehydrated?

My comment on the Dehydrated meals is that the way they are packaged, can you get that many into an airplane? I don't know what your limiter is, weight or volume, and after your Math thread, I am not sure you know the difference between weight and volume
tongue.gif

I still say you need the Peanut Butter, some honey, and tortillas. What happens on Day 12, when your stove plugs, or you knock over the can of white gas?

Cooking in the rain gets old.
For our 6 day Caribou, we just took Oatmeal, Power Bars, 1 Dehydrated meal/day, some spice, a fishing pole, and sharp knife.
The result was we got tired of Oatmeal, ate all the Power bars by Day 3, and were constantly hungry after the dehydrated meal...
footinmouth.gif
eek.gif
frown.gif

On second thought, maybe your way is better...
cool.gif

The second time, for 10 days for Moose, we took way too much food in, and it was a pain in the A$$.

Go by some Peaches out at the Fruit Stands by my house, and swing by, and you can look at Trophies on the wall again... Then dehydrate the peaches. Maybe pears, too.

Moosie,

You gonna have room for all that food? Those things will fill up the airplane, by themselves.

You might re-think part of your food strategy......
eek.gif

And you don't have any Oatmeal on the list...

Jim actually it was duct tape I used. I learned that lesson
frown.gif

I already mentioned to moosie about field stripping the freeze dried. I'm sure we will be doing that on Fri (with the correct tape..lol). I'm also gonna grab a couple 5 gallon buckets to put things in plus double duty as chairs.

One thing you might want to add moosie is maybe a couple of taters already wrapped in aluminum foil. It makes a nice break. throw a couple in the fire and have some real food, besides it would go along good with your moose backstrap or tenderloins.

Oh yah!!! LMAO...it was duct tape, how could I of forgot. Well, I didn't forget every other word out of your mouth was f@#k when you went to open 'em.

Good stuff!!!

Between the duct tape and the POS Gps, I think I swore alot
rolleyes.gif

I havent used the GPS since then. Well, 1 time I turned it on in my fron yard and it said I was 200miles from house
mad.gif

LMFAo....OK I like that MRE Cocoa powder also, water is optional
biggrin.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 08-17-2003 19:58: Message edited by: lilbiggun ]</font>

I didn't show the WHOLE list.. I have Cereal and Penut butter and Tortillas and Some other stuff on top on that list.. MY TOTAL food intake is 40#s ... thats for 16 days and for 2 people so Essencially for 32 days, 3 meals a day, so that adds up to 96 meals
eek.gif
@ 32 days I'm a little over Ovis's 1# a day, I'm more like 1.25#'s of food a day...

If you ever been camping with me you'll know I poop 2#'s a day.. So I'm negative .75#'s a day
wink.gif
.. in 16 days I'll be 12#'s less... Not counting the Workout... HELL, I'll weigh less then LBG when I get back
tongue.gif

Elkgunner, I might take ya up on visiting ya... You "ON WATCH" this week or next ?

HEY GUNNER... I almost forgot to say.. I'm having LBG buy all my food up there already
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
that way I don't need to Ship it. I think I might FedEx up my backpacks and everything else fits Nicely in 3 bags... and then the gun case. Will be a Easy flight...

Ohhhh.. ANd you know better then Going through and Picking out Spelling errors... you silly man... You'll be heerereee All day
wink.gif

I'll call you later, Lemme know when a goods time is.. I'd like to run my fingers through the 'bou's again
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

LBG, you're worse then a Woman.. THAT was a compliment, You're in shape.. I'm overweight ....

....Or something liek that
wink.gif

You still picking up me and Dad at the airport right MR Just the right weight guy,
footinmouth.gif
.. Hehehee !!

Moosie

Just make sure you have plenty of cocoa powder (no water) to pay him off, and I bet everything will be just fine...promise!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back