PEAX Equipment

FOOD

Elkgunner, I'm able to pack in 90# on the first leg for the Moose trip. I can make a PRE package to take up for the 2nd leg of the trip. Thats EACH for me and my dad. HAven't gotten the weight all figured out yet but I think We're cool !!!

We might have them fly in some coal or something for the 2nd leg of the trip, I might bribe them for a cold cheeseburger too
wink.gif
HAHA !!!

I haven't figured how much beer can be shipped in @ 40#'s but I'm guessing enough to last the last 5 days
wink.gif

I agree with Elkgunner about the Peanut Butter and Jelly..I always take some.

My favorite thing to take is spaghetti. If you make it up ahead of time and mix it together, you can freeze it in one gallon ziplocks. I freeze it flat so it is easier to pack. After a few days of Mountain House, it tastes pretty good..and it's filling.

I also take Crown Royal cause it weighs less than beer..or at least more bang for the weight.

I've killed ptarmigan and grouse with my '06 on a few hunting trips, to add to the menu.

Also, don't forget to pick blueberries if you see them around camp, they are a nice addition to oatmeal breakfasts.

David

David,

You'll do fine, if you start all your posts with
"I agree with Elkgunner".....

MacCallen also works, if you don't want that funny Crown Royal bottle....
biggrin.gif

elkgrin.gif

HEY ....

posted 03-15-2003 13:14
I don't touch the Oatmeal or Grit stuff, Not even when I'm REALLY REALLY hungry.

posted 03-15-2003 16:22
In the field everything taste better times 5 at least (Besides Oatmeat which SUX.)

posted 03-25-2003 07:58
Thanx for the Info. I'd rather chew on a stick then eat Oatmeal. I actually like the taste of the Freeze dried food.

.... thanx for the berry suggestion DavidAK, I might pick the beries if we see them, But NOT for oatmeal, I don't like it
tongue.gif

Moosie, unless you absolutely, positively have to have a wide variety of meals, my advise is to keep it simple and light. Freeze dried and dehydrated is the way to go. Trust me you do not want to get into the cooking business in the field especially if you will be moving camp.(primarily a backpack hunt issue)

Pre-cooked food no matter how its packaged is heavy and IF it leaks you have a mess and some or all of your gear smells like food--not the greatest idea in Griz country.

I have an MSR Whisperlite backpacker stove. I carry only one pot--1.5qt, stainless steel with a built in handle that doubles as a lid lock. Its also by MSR. Conveniently enough, the stove, with a little fanangling fits inside the pot saving space in my pack. All my hot meals come from adding boiling water.

For a 10 day hunt I bring the following:
10 MH meals (dinner)
20 packs cocoa mix (bkfst)
10 nutrigrain bars (bkfst)
30 string cheese (lunch)
3 8oz bags (combined into 1) beef jerky (lunch)
1 12oz bag dried apricots (lunch)
10 tea bags (dinner)
3 feet of aluminum foil
seasonings for ptarmigan/fish (I carry even thirds garlic powder, lemon pepper and season salt in a film canister.

For river trips where weight isn't as critical I bring a few luxuries like coffee and butter

You will most likely find berries galore and ptarmigan and grouse are common. Bring a wrist rocket type sling shot--these birds are not hard to kill. I also recommend a small fishing rod if you will on or near water. Small spinners are deadly on grayling so are flies behind a casting bubble. Fish the slack water at the mouths of sloughs.

After heading/gutting the fish, lay in foil, sprinkle insides with seasoning, stuff with blueberries, drizzle with butter, wrap and bake in the coals for 4 or 5 minutes per side)

You're going to have a great time

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 04-10-2003 11:48: Message edited by: Erik in AK ]</font>

Also,
bring some Pancake mix (Just add water type), some onion, and some butter, so you can cook what you kill. Them tenderloins will taste better than the Mountain HOuse, after a few days.

And bring some Oatmeal for Breakfast....
biggrin.gif

OATMEAL.. MMmm my favorite
rolleyes.gif

Just bumping a few posts as Reminders to me... 2 months and Counting...

You sure drug this one out of the past..LOL...
Oatmeal would be a good thing for you to add to your diet to loose weight
tongue.gif
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I think I got it .....

MAN, Putting all the food together is harder then I thought . My list is WAY WAY detailed.. MAybe thats my problem ?

3245moose1

Moosie

You might also look into vacuum packing a few small cheese subs. If you do it right you can get 3 or 4 lunches out of one sub. Nice little change of pace. Hold on the mayo!

Dennis

Hey bro you are welcome to come over and use my vaccuum sealer if you don't have one. I love that thing. Not only do I do food in it but in my emergency box, I have vaccuum sealed clothes. Takes up less space and keeps them dry. I have also cut the bags real small and made little four-packs of Advil and the like for my first aid kit.

I might jsut do that. I like the Vaccuum Idea.. Although 95% of the food will be bought in AK prior to me getting there and 85% of that is Already Dehydrated. Sooo.....

But the Jerkey I'm makeing will seal up nice !!! And maybe my extra set of cloths. Or something like that ?

Casey

What is the minimum purchase through you? I may want to take you up on that offer if you believe they could get here before Sept 1st.

Jim

CASEY, MY list is :

6 Granola w/ Blueberries B 4
9 Dehydrated Milk (REI) B 3
8 Eggs/Bacon B 2
8 Eggs/Ham B 3
4 ChiliMac W/ Beef (Lg.) D 5 $4.85
2 Chicken Terry/Rice (Lg.) D 5 $6.80
2 Chicken Stew D 5 $6.45
4 Lasagna W/ Meat D 5 $6.00
2 Mexican Chick. w/ Rice D 5
2 Pasta Primavera (Lg.) D 5
2 Pasta Primavera (Sm.) D 3
2 Potatoes/Beef/onions D 4
4 Beef Stew D 4
2 turkey Tetrazzini D 4
2 Sweet/Sour Pork D 6 $6.80
2 Noodle / Chicken (Sm.) D 3
3 Rasberry Crumble (Lg.) Desert $5.55
3 Blueberry Cheesecake (Lg.) Desert $5.55

Whats the Shipping on that too ? I'm guessing it would be jsut as Cheap to have LBG buy it there then there is NO Shipping ? I posted a couple ofthe REI Prices too, Jsut for a comparison.

LEMME know ASAP, THANx BUD !!!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back