Caribou Gear Tarp

FOIA - $150 WY NR Wilderness Rule Fine amount; WY 23-2-401(a)

232401a

FOIA results summary from WY GFD regarding actual enforcement of the NR Wilderness Rule. WY Statute 23-2-401(a)

In the past 10 years:
1. 12 NR hunters were cited for violating WS 23-2-401(a) (a few warning tickets also issued)
2. No hunter was required to return to WY for a court appearance and total cost of violation was the bond amount, $150.
3. All of these misdemeanor tickets were marked "no court appearance required" - just like a speeding ticket.
4. No hunter lost WY hunting privileges or was reported to another state for loss of privlieges.
5. No hunter had any property seized (gun, atv, vehicle, etc).
6. Of those 12 violators, 4 hunters were in possession of an animal that was harvested in a wilderness area. Three of those 4 hunters were allowed to keep antlers, cape and meat. One of those 4 harvesters had antlers confiscated as his group hadn't tagged the animal and tried to pass it off as a resident kill. Despite the dishonesty, the warden only took the antlers - and then donated the meat back to the hunter.

Carry on.

Leads me to a few questions

Is the law working really well thus the low level of violations? Is it working poorly, is hard to detect and the officers really don’t care? Would Wyoming be ahead to have a non resident “wilderness” permit that was an extra $100-200 required for non residents to hunt wilderness areas by themselves?

Leads me to a few questions

Is the law working really well thus the low level of violations? Is it working poorly, is hard to detect and the officers really don’t care? Would Wyoming be ahead to have a non resident “wilderness” permit that was an extra $100-200 required for non residents to hunt wilderness areas by themselves?
would montana and idaho and colorado be ahead for a non resident permit to hunt public land,,, as far as income producing,,,,

would montana and idaho and colorado be ahead for a non resident permit to hunt public land,,, as far as income producing,,,,
I know Colorado and New Mexico already have something along those lines but it is super cheap, like $5-$10 and they just add it to your tag automatically pretty much.

Wyoming has already shown revenue is a big component for them, look at the stupid special draw. I’m not saying I’d be in favor of a wilderness permit it’s just something I’m surprised they haven’t considered. Maybe they have and WYOGA has flexed their muscle

It would be interesting to see similar citation data for corner crossing (probably already posted somewhere with the high-profile case going through the system) and parking/hunting off of the interstate.

Wyoming has already shown revenue is a big component for them, look at the stupid special draw. I’m not saying I’d be in favor of a wilderness permit it’s just something I’m surprised they haven’t considered. Maybe they have and WYOGA has flexed their muscle
Hell, make the permit $150 and give it straight to WYOGA for all I care, as long as I’m allowed to hunt wilderness.

I just ask that the memo line of the check read: “Welfare Payment to WYOGA”.

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back