FNG, ready to start my quest for the elk, need some advice

If he was to comeback i'd tell him...

I'd borrow the rifle and still hunt for whitetails.

I grew up doing deer drives as a kid and went off to college with a $300 rifle and a $200 scope. Took me 3 years to kill a North Idaho Whitetail and to even see an elk with a tag in my pocket. Packing that WT out of a river canyon made me REAL glad I didn't kill an elk across the river where I saw him. It was 12 years (and about 5 elk tags) from the time I got my first elk tag until I was able to hang a tag on an elk. Remember you gotta walk before you run....

Dont buy a savage axis. Nobody deserves that. Not even a FNG. Haha
Id go the used route...buy a kimber mt 30-06, vx3i 3.5 x 10. I bet you can get it done for close to a grand.
Buy the best 165-180 grain ammo you can shoot, spend looots of time on stair climber's with your pack on.

Dont buy a savage axis. Nobody deserves that. Not even a FNG. Haha
Id go the used route...buy a kimber mt 30-06, vx3i 3.5 x 10. I bet you can get it done for close to a grand.
Buy the best 165-180 grain ammo you can shoot, spend looots of time on stair climber's with your pack on.
Kimbers are really nice but there is really is nothing wrong with a Savage axis. Savage makes some very accurate cheap rifles. Titka's are very good rifles too, probably as accurate as a kimber if not morso just not as refined. If money is no object, then sure get the Kimber but for less money you can get a good browning long range hunter. Personally though Kansas is known to have some very large deer and are easier to hunt in general and since they are in your home state you can hunt them some much cheaper than going to another state to hunt Elk. Not saying you shouldn't hunt Elk but I'd do both for sure.

Quality guns don't have to be new. I have plenty but can't stop from drooling through the used racks. My second rifle I used was a Huskavarna that I bought in Fargo, North Dakota for $100. I upgaded it with beter and better scopes. My wife bought me a second one in Spokane for $300. I put a timney trigger on that one and upgraded through a couple scopes. I think I killed 15 or 20 elk with them until I found another used gun I liked and fit me. A gun is on par with a woman and a bra (my wife tells me) - they fit or they don't. I have a couple guns that feel so good that you would swear they were born with me. Shop! It's half the fun.

Reactions: LCH
Quality guns don't have to be new.
Agreed. My all time favorite rifle is a sporterized 1917 eddystone enfield 30-06. It was handed down to me from my grandpa. It just fits me perfect and shooting it is a natural feeling. Have shot a lot of game with it.

So many great rifles to choose from. When I was a rifle hunter for deer, I hunted with a M77 7mag. I wouldn't hesitate to use that gun for elk accept bowhunting is the shizzle for me.

ElkFever2 said:
What did you decide on for a gun?
I didn't even notice this thread was from Oct. 25 and the guy hasn't been back since Oct. 27th. :(

He still hasn't come back and probably never will. Maybe down with the Corona beer virus? I best watch what I say though or I'll end up starting a starting a spin off thread.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back