Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Flying with multiple guns

coleslaw

Looking for some ideas/ input -
My stepdad passed away a few years ago and my mother wants me to take possession of his rifles and pistols (8 rifles, 6 pistols) which I of course said yes to. The only problem is that she lives in the Seattle area with the guns and I live in Wisconsin, which is a 27 hour drive just one way. I don't quite have the days available to make the driving trip and don't want to put 5,000 extra miles on my truck to do it.
I have looked into Shipmygun.com also, but with there being 14 guns total, the shipping and FFL transfer fees are well over $600. 6 pistols x $35 Wisconsin pistol background check fee is $210. I do have some well trusted FFL dealers that could probably cut me a break, but I think my best option may be flying and just use my airline miles of which I have more than enough because of my job which requires a decent amount of international travel. I am overdue for a visit out there anyways.
So... I am not worried about the overweight baggage or extra baggage fees so much, but my thought is that maybe I could find a big enough hardcase to stuff as many as possible into to limit the extra checked bag fees. I know I could put all of the pistols into one hardcase and get away with it as long as they are packed properly and stable. The rifles are another matter because I don't want to have to buy a bunch of hardcases that I am only going to use once most likely.

Any ideas or anybody know where I could find cases that I could fit more than 2 rifles into? Not looking for Pelican case quality, just enough to get approved by the TSA and get them home.

I would think flying is definitely going to be your best bet. If it was me I would pull the foam out of my pelican case wrap each rifle sock in a bit of bubble rap and place in the case with the action upright instead of lying flat. I bet I could get a bunch of rifles in once case that way, although you will probably have to remove all the scopes and put those in your carryon. You can check up to a 100lb bag, albeit with a fee so I wouldnt' stress to much on the weight.

glass eye uses a hard sided golf bag to transport his firearms that would be another good route, I bet you could get everything into one of those bags.

2019-01-04_12-23-33.jpg

or

https://onyourownadventures.com/hun...nt-and-getting-everything-back&highlight=golf

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that one of those golf cases would be a good bet. Probably get 4 long guns in there depending on size. I've also seen large cases that you can fit a bicycle in(disassembled), but not sure they would be long enough. Not sure if they lock either.

Last edited:
I'm not sure, but I think you can also ship guns to yourself from other states without having to go through a dealer. Maybe fly the handguns and a rifle or two back with you, and ship the rest of the long guns to yourself?

I'd look very closely into the legalities of this and what you are posting on a public forum. The only way a firearm transfer can occur across state lines is through an FFL. If you were to take posession of them in Seatle, that would be a problem. If you have a few trusted FFLs, I'd explain the situation to them and see what kind of deal you can work out. I have an FFL that only charges an additional $10 per gun if they're shipped from the same seller.

Since you say your overdue for a visit, I'd prob say the safest thing to do would be to go out and help your mother package up "her" guns and ship them to the FFL in WI for you. She'll prob just have to include a photocopy of her license for the FFL but make sure they are cool receiving them from a private party. If they'll only accept from another FFL, that's gonna add additional costs.

I'd look very closely into the legalities of this and what you are posting on a public forum. The only way a firearm transfer can occur across state lines is through an FFL. If you were to take posession of them in Seatle, that would be a problem. If you have a few trusted FFLs, I'd explain the situation to them and see what kind of deal you can work out. I have an FFL that only charges an additional $10 per gun if they're shipped from the same seller.

Since you say your overdue for a visit, I'd prob say the safest thing to do would be to go out and help your mother package up "her" guns and ship them to the FFL in WI for you. She'll prob just have to include a photocopy of her license for the FFL but make sure they are cool receiving them from a private party. If they'll only accept from another FFL, that's gonna add additional costs.

I am looking into that and there's a lot of information regarding inheritance of firearms from family. In general inheritance and transfer between family members is not restricted, so long as the receiver is not a "prohibited person" ineligible to possess firearms. (Though, again, the details of this vary by jurisdiction and change frequently.)
I may just talk to my FFL guy and get a more direct take on it. There's the inheritance issue, and then the interstate transfer issue and you are right, the interstate "transfer" may overrule family inheritance.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys. The golf case is another good option that I haven't thought of.

Last edited:
Fly to Seattle and have your visit. Bring the handguns back with you on the plane. Mail the long guns to yourself via USPS. It is legal - long guns ONLY and only mailed by you to yourself. I'd visit an outdoors store in the Seattle and see if I could scrounge some manufacturer's boxes and go from there. If I was able to get appropriate boxes, I'd also treat them to brown paper wrapping, so as to hide their content. Also insure for their full value.

Simple way would be fly out and rent a car for a one-way trip back home. Guns go in the trunk.

Simple way would be fly out and rent a car for a one-way trip back home. Guns go in the trunk.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this

Have her ship them UPS to your FFL (with a copy of her ID and a copy of their licence, who will do the transfer). Negotiate the rate if you can. Cough up the dough. Unless there is a will from your step-dad stating YOU as the heir of the guns, you did NOT inherit them. She did. And god-willing she is around for a long time to come. If she wishes to will them to you, for the future, she can. But sounds like she wants you to take them now. That is a run-of-the-mill interstate transfer. Just do it by the book.

Last edited:
I'm not sure, but I think you can also ship guns to yourself from other states without having to go through a dealer. Maybe fly the handguns and a rifle or two back with you, and ship the rest of the long guns to yourself?

I think that would be true only if the guns don't change ownership.

I am looking into that and there's a lot of information regarding inheritance of firearms from family. In general inheritance and transfer between family members is not restricted, so long as the receiver is not a "prohibited person" ineligible to possess firearms. (Though, again, the details of this vary by jurisdiction and change frequently.)
I may just talk to my FFL guy and get a more direct take on it. There's the inheritance issue, and then the interstate transfer issue and you are right, the interstate "transfer" may overrule family inheritance.

Have a licensed dealer in Seattle transfer them to you. So now you legally own them. I think then you could ship them to yourself in Wisconsin or to a dealer friend in Wisconsin via USPS or FEDEX. If you went into a gun store in Seattle and bought one wouldn't you be free to carry it home or ship it home?

I agree that one of those golf cases would be a good bet. Probably get 4 long guns in there depending on size. I've also seen large cases that you can fit a bicycle in(disassembled), but not sure they would be long enough. Not sure if they lock either.

I've watched flight attendants load and unload golf club cases and my rifle case on 4 different flights two and from PHX. I will NEVER put my rifles in a golf club case. EVER. They treat those things like garbage. My rifle got neatly and properly carried from cart to loading conveyor and vise versa with perfect decorum every time unlike those golf clubs. That was just plain ugly.

If I were in your shoes, I'd mail them by priority mail one at a time. Hand guns will have to have an FFL on you mom's end though.

I am not convinced you need an FFL on your end, at least for the rifles. You are not buying them, you are inheriting them. I think this matters, and I would call a BATF office (google and you will find the closest office to call).

I've watched flight attendants load and unload golf club cases and my rifle case on 4 different flights two and from PHX. I will NEVER put my rifles in a golf club case. EVER. They treat those things like garbage. My rifle got neatly and properly carried from cart to loading conveyor and vise versa with perfect decorum every time unlike those golf clubs. That was just plain ugly.

If I were in your shoes, I'd mail them by priority mail one at a time. Hand guns will have to have an FFL on you mom's end though.

I am not convinced you need an FFL on your end, at least for the rifles. You are not buying them, you are inheriting them. I think this matters, and I would call a BATF office (google and you will find the closest office to call).

Can you inherit something from someone who is still living? Best thing would be to call a dealer out there and ask them.

Some years back on my way to Wyoming from Central Iowa, I stopped at Cabela's in Mitchell, SD and consigned a rifle. At the time I had to sign a statement that I had to pass a background check before they would return it to me. After more than a year it didn't sell. They shipped it back to a dealer because of the BC clause.

If the owner is alive then it is a gift. Should not be a problem.

I would NOT rely on a dealer or FFL. Or me of course. Call BATF. It is super easy, and they are friendly folk. Or at least they were when they were being paid... :(

If the owner is alive then it is a gift. Should not be a problem.

I would NOT rely on a dealer or FFL. Or me of course. Call BATF. It is super easy, and they are friendly folk. Or at least they were when they were being paid... :(

Have a licensed dealer in Seattle transfer them to you. So now you legally own them. I think then you could ship them to yourself in Wisconsin or to a dealer friend in Wisconsin via USPS or FEDEX. If you went into a gun store in Seattle and bought one wouldn't you be free to carry it home or ship it home?

You cannot legally buy a handgun outside of your state of residence so a Seattle FFL will not be able to transfer them.

OP, there's a lot of misinformation in this thread. It also doesn't matter if the rifles are sold/gifted/inherited; they are being "transfered" and the "transfer" is crossing state lines so it needs to be through an FFL. Your right to ever even possess a gun again will be stripped if you get hemmed up for a felony. At a minimum, contact an FFL. Call the BATF as well; however, they may not be much help in regards to the screwy state laws in WA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back