Flipping Coins

DRAFTSTUD

I am trying to figure out just what I want to go after this coming year. I could go back to Colorado and chase Elk, but I really want to try something else. Not that an Elk hunt isn't fun, they are. I have been thinking of an Antelope hunt, but I hear all the talk from ya'll about the guys chasing them instead of hunting them. What is really High on John's Bucket List is a spot and stalk Black Bear hunt. I saw a show (I know, I know) about some DIY kind of guys who were hunting Bears in New Mexico and they were really having a good time and seemed to have had a high kill rate. What are the pros and cons? I would'nt mind a place where I could camp out with my horses and spend time chasing any of the three of the above animals. Thanks, John:D

Spot and stalk bear from a wilderness area. If you are looking for a horseback trip, try the White Mountain Wilderness around the Ruidoso, New Mexico area. Hunt is in late August and the scenery is beautiful.

A non-resident bear tag is easier to come by than the other two, John. Need to pass the bear test (online at fwp.mt.gov) before buying a Montana tag. Also need to buy a spring bear tag here before the season starts (4/15) to hunt in the spring, or before the fall season starts to hunt in the fall.

Back