Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Flinters - lets see ‘em.

Curious, @Steve O or others in the know: Is that a rest for the striker, as in a soft pad? I'm relatively new to muzzleloaders (I have a percussion- not familiar with flintlock) so my terminology may be far off the mark, though I'd imagine you understand my question. May be worth the chuckle though, do they make quartz strikers? Rookie question... Just trying to ID what you have there.

1648991861711.png

My proudest kill. Man was it ever cold that morning. I mean brutal col.d 0 without wind chill. I then proceeded to pull one of the horns off dragging him out....lol

Killed him with round-balls my grandfather had hand cast back in 84 a month before he died. The gun was given to me from a friend. It was his dads. His dad lived across the road from me until his death at age 90. He was a nice man and was very influential to me growing up. Almost like a second grandpa to me.

I should note that it was so cold outside (5 degrees not counting the windchill) that I had a bad hang-fire and the deer saw the flash and lunged forward and I hit the deer in the guts. This was about 5 minutes after daylight and I tracked him for 5 miles on a drop of blood every hundred yards.. I shot at him 3 more times, broke 2 ramrods and finally killed him at 4:00 in the afternoon in re-growth clear cut at a distance of about 15 feet while he was covered in snow. It was quite a Chinese fire drill of epic proportions....Not my cleanest kill but certainly one of my more memorable and best tracking jobs I have ever done.

The deer was aged at 7.5 years old...I have a buddy that ages teethe. View attachment 130176
View attachment 130177
View attachment 130178

View attachment 130075
Pretty sure that deer was an EHD survivor as well. Good job.

Curious, @Steve O or others in the know: Is that a rest for the striker, as in a soft pad? I'm relatively new to muzzleloaders (I have a percussion- not familiar with flintlock) so my terminology may be far off the mark, though I'd imagine you understand my question. May be worth the chuckle though, do they make quartz strikers? Rookie question... Just trying to ID what you have there.

View attachment 217854

That is a piece of leather that gives a bit of cushion to hold and not crack the flint.

I built this one from a Traditions Kentucky Flintlock kit. I’m waiting for the ram rod thimble screws to come in. ( they shorted me them in the kit and they were back ordered ) and I need to put the flint in and I’ll be done. If it shoots well I’m considering heading up to PA for the late flintlock season. Has anyone here hunted that season?View attachment 217853
Let me know when you come this way, I have a few spots I could get you into. It’s a fun time but the deer are on high alert from being hunted the last 3 months.

I built this one from a Traditions Kentucky Flintlock kit. I’m waiting for the ram rod thimble screws to come in. ( they shorted me them in the kit and they were back ordered ) and I need to put the flint in and I’ll be done. If it shoots well I’m considering heading up to PA for the late flintlock season. Has anyone here hunted that season?View attachment 217853
I hunt the flintlock season in PA a lot. It is my favorite season here. Let me know if you head north.

This was a Good day with my 50 self made Cherry Flinter (smoke pole)
I was sitting in a high stand watching turkeys and deer in a small field. The turkeys moved on across the field through a tree line to another field and the all the does followed. The entire time behind me this buck was in the woods grunting 30-40 minutes. When the does moved out he got quite. It was time to make the move ! 125 yard dash to the opposite side of the field into my corner woods stand. Climbed up quick, took the rattlers off my bag and a couple hard hits and he's 30 yards away looking for the intruders. The 50 dropped him I. His tracks with a 490 round ball.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1653659045335.jpg
    FB_IMG_1653659045335.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 16
  • FB_IMG_1653659148523.jpg
    FB_IMG_1653659148523.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 16
  • FB_IMG_1653659171690.jpg
    FB_IMG_1653659171690.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 16
And here's Dad with one of his three Kentucky long rifles. As you can see, my dad gets into the entire "period authentic" experience. He made a Kentucky long rifle for himself and another for his father. He's had two others made by Ed Parry. This one is a Parry gun. Both the picture above and this one were taken along the Missouri River near Ulm, MT.
View attachment 130026
Your dad has the idea.

I did 25 years re-inacting back in the day. F&I and Rev War.
Made all my own Powder horns and shooting accuderments.
54 curly built in 82
50 cal cherry acid stained built in 86

Attachments

• IMG_1526.JPG
    IMG_1526.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1527.JPG
    IMG_1527.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1528.JPG
    IMG_1528.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1530.JPG
    IMG_1530.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 4
Pa. Flintlock ... deep snow(hopefully), crisp still winter air, wool, gaiters, snowshoes, snow covered neck high laurel. Brother it don't get any better. Come enjoy it, I believe it's the only traditional, flintlock only, season in the country.

Pa. Flintlock ... deep snow(hopefully), crisp still winter air, wool, gaiters, snowshoes, snow covered neck high laurel. Brother it don't get any better. Come enjoy it, I believe it's the only traditional, flintlock only, season in the country.
Thanks for the invite. The only thing holding me back is I have yet to dial this thing in to the point I feel ethical shooting a deer. I have gained alot of respect for the men who won our countries freedom with the flintlock rifle. It's not at all the same as shooting my 270 or 06. What you described sounds like a great adventure though. I hope to improve my shooting and be good enough to hit a deer with it.

Back