Flinters - lets see ‘em.

I have been thinking about buying a muzzleloader and this thread has me looking at kits now. Going to be on the road for a couple weeks, but should end up ordering something by July. It would be a good way to extend my season my season locally.

To me there is no other gun like a flintlock. That’s my bucket list gun for sure. Don’t have one yet but I want to build one someday.

You want to get it really bad.......spend the winter reading rocky mountain fur trade biographies, and journals.

I need to shoot and eat a Buffalo in the worst way.

You want to get it really bad.......spend the winter reading rocky mountain fur trade biographies, and journals.

I need to shoot and eat a Buffalo in the worst way.
It’s kind of my long term goal to build a rifle and use it on a buffalo one day when I draw a tag. That’s another reason why am not in a hurry to build it now. A buffalo with a handmade gun would be special and I don’t plan to be wearing the same high tech Sitka and Kuiu that I wear on mountain hunts. There will be more flannels and buckskin on that one.

I have been thinking about buying a muzzleloader and this thread has me looking at kits now. Going to be on the road for a couple weeks, but should end up ordering something by July. It would be a good way to extend my season my season locally.
Which ones are you looking at? I want a one piece stock. I bought a Traditions Kentucky kit once but I returned it before I built. I didn’t like the fact that the stock and forearm were separated with a brass piece in the middle.

Which ones are you looking at? I want a one piece stock. I bought a Traditions Kentucky kit once but I returned it before I built. I didn’t like the fact that the stock and forearm were separated with a brass piece in the middle.

Mainly the Traditions kits. Somewhat settled on either the Prairie Hawken .50 or Mountain Rifle .50. But that may change as I continue to look for a couple weeks.

It’s kind of my long term goal to build a rifle and use it on a buffalo one day when I draw a tag. That’s another reason why am not in a hurry to build it now. A buffalo with a handmade gun would be special and I don’t plan to be wearing the same high tech Sitka and Kuiu that I wear on mountain hunts. There will be more flannels and buckskin on that one.

don't wait until the last minute. These rifles have a habit of taking a LONG time to build. Plus, you will want to put in some though as too style and period and what sorts of features you do and do not want.

There is a rather nice Hawkenish styled .58 for sale on the net right now. Not mine or anyone I know.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/...and-hunting-gun-engraved.121774/#post-1669499

It's not a completely historically correct rifle but it is an interesting one and suitable for taking down a buffalo.

Building one from scratch is the way to go though. Endless possibilities.

If you aren't familiar with them, you might check out https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Category.aspx/485. They sell parts, but they also sell completed rifles that would give an idea of the possibilities.

don't wait until the last minute. These rifles have a habit of taking a LONG time to build. Plus, you will want to put in some though as too style and period and what sorts of features you do and do not want.

There is a rather nice Hawkenish styled .58 for sale on the net right now. Not mine or anyone I know.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/...and-hunting-gun-engraved.121774/#post-1669499

It's not a completely historically correct rifle but it is an interesting one and suitable for taking down a buffalo.

Building one from scratch is the way to go though. Endless possibilities.

If you aren't familiar with them, you might check out https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Category.aspx/485. They sell parts, but they also sell completed rifles that would give an idea of the possibilities.
Thanks for the encouragement and info. Track of the wolf seems like a much higher quality gun than traditions and more period correct. I would want at least .54-58 caliber probably .58 for bison and at this point I’m not sure if I want a long rifle style or the Hawken with shorter forearm. I’m still early in the planning stages of this dream and my bison bonus points are pretty low right now but I’m wanting to work towards it. I actually know a pretty good builder within an hour from my house. I did some construction work for him right out of high school. Guy by the name of Robert Adams. He builds some immaculate looking rifles completely from scratch including rifling the barrel himself. I might try to get up with him and see what I can learn.

Well, this is where the planning comes in. Hawkens were made full stock and half stock, flinter and percussion. There are differences in trigger guards depending on era and which Hawken boy was doing it. And there were other rifle makers that were important on the plains that you might want to look into as well. They made hawken-like rifles as well and some were based in St. Louis like the Hawkens were. I think you probably don't want an eastern long rifle, but you certainly could. That's your decision to make.

Lots to learn about barrel steels, rifling twist rates, profiles, etc. It goes on and on. But you only need to wade in as deep as you want to go. And if you are going to make your own, then invest in good quality parts. No sense in doing all that work on rifle that will only be second rate at best. Aim high, hit high. You won't be sorry (nor will your heirs :)).

Reactions: shb
Isaac Haines 1760’s-era 45cal flintlock shooting a patched round ball. This was last week during Pennsylvania’s late “flintlock only” season. I haven’t lived in PA for over 30 years but 4 of us own a cabin in the heart of Kinzua country and the January rendezvous has become our tradition.

Attachments

• 8AAC7E00-A903-4618-9AF6-B4D4E1E18548.jpeg
    8AAC7E00-A903-4618-9AF6-B4D4E1E18548.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 17
  • 9BEDE502-C920-4767-BFE4-9AA8B077023B.jpeg
    9BEDE502-C920-4767-BFE4-9AA8B077023B.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 18
This is a kit gun my dad and I put together years ago. He got it for me as a gift that he purchased at black powder shop in PA. I rember opening it and he told me that he checked all of the kits at the shop and found the stock with the best figuring. Didn’t appreciate it at the time but I sure do now. 629642DE-8C83-4277-8B53-8175E8967BE8.jpegFCC53937-BA16-4B64-8812-5BCB57FECF4B.jpeg

This is a kit gun my dad and I put together years ago. He got it for me as a gift that he purchased at black powder shop in PA. I rember opening it and he told me that he checked all of the kits at the shop and found the stock with the best figuring. Didn’t appreciate it at the time but I sure do now. View attachment 171075View attachment 171076
Beautiful wood from a kit.

0B5122AF-AF9A-460A-BDC7-28DBE1CE2A8C.jpeg

This is a Caywood English Game Gun. That’s the 20ga barrel and a nice Iowa tom. After 15 years I finally drew a Gould’s tag in AZ and that is what I will be taking this spring. I’ve got a .54 barrel for it and I’m trying to draw a good muzzleloader elk tag to break that in.

T/C Firestorm 50 cal. Only had it but a couple years, Took a bull moose with it in Oct 2019

Attachments

• 2019.4.jpg.jpeg
    2019.4.jpg.jpeg
    863.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210322_212328.jpg
    20210322_212328.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
I built this one from a Traditions Kentucky Flintlock kit. I’m waiting for the ram rod thimble screws to come in. ( they shorted me them in the kit and they were back ordered ) and I need to put the flint in and I’ll be done. If it shoots well I’m considering heading up to PA for the late flintlock season. Has anyone here hunted that season?7AF42C50-D31D-4EC9-9373-0A7B5F121BCA.jpeg

Back