Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Aussie muzzleloader hunter

Bushfire

G'day everyone,

I'm an Aussie and an avid diy hunter who these days mostly focusses on muzzleloaders and specifically flinters. I do have a few centrefires ans one caplock but it has to be a special occasion to pull them out.

We have no seasons for the most part and no weapon specific seasons so I hunt with muzzleloaders out of love not practicality or constraint.

Looking to get to the states and hunt big game with the muzzleloader and hoping to connect with someone who may be interested in either a swap of hunts or information.

Main hunting gun is a custom Green River leman trade 54 flintlock. But I am currently waiting on a full custom build in the form of a manton late era flintlock english sporting rifle in 58. All slow twist suited to round ball.

Also have a centermark fusil de chasse 62/20g and a green river 72/12g trade gun both in flint.

My caplock is a pedersoli missouri river hawken 50 cal fast twist. Put down a buff so does ok, but has been in the safe last few years since taking up flint.

Thanks for having me.

IMG_2295.jpg

20230405_082721.jpg

20230624_074105.jpg

20210816_083935.jpg

Do you ever use a black powder shotgun to hunt ducks?

I live in Las Vegas, Nevada and hunt at the Overton WMA near Lake Mead during the late fall/early winter waterfowl season.

If you ever happen to be in the area around that time, let me know if you want to try blackpowder wing shooting in a desert oasis.

Attachments

• muzzyduck.pdf
    108.5 KB · Views: 2
Welcome! Is there much of a black powder hunting community in Australia?
Nah bugger all, I've met one other BP shooter here. There are a few clubs near the big cities which keeps supplies in demand so are generally always available. Don't know any other hunters though, there isn't any incentive if you don't do it for the love of it.

Do you ever use a black powder shotgun to hunt ducks?

I live in Las Vegas, Nevada and hunt at the Overton WMA near Lake Mead during the late fall/early winter waterfowl season.

If you ever happen to be in the area around that time, let me know if you want to try blackpowder wing shooting in a desert oasis.
Thanks mate, I do a little with my flintlock. As long as we still have a duck season that is.

Hi Bushfire, I’m happy to help if I can. I’ve done a few DIY western hunts from NZ. But used bow and rifle. Cheers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kgentry
Back