Flat tire frustrations

Paul in Idaho

This weekend I ended up with a punctured tire while headed back to camp after a day of steelhead fishing and shed hunting. I figured it would be no problem, I have changed plenty of flats. After the usual routine of loosening lug nuts, jacking it up and removing the nuts, I was surprised to discover the wheel wouldn't budge. It was like it was welded to the hub.

After whacking it with a sledgehammer, prying at it with a bar from different angles, and exercising my full range of vocabulary, it remained stuck. I was a long way from phone service and a repair shop.

Fortunately, it was a small puncture, about the size a nail might make. For many years I have carried, but never used, one of those sticky-string tire plug kits. After lowering the truck back to the ground, I rolled forward until the puncture was pointing up. I jacked it back up, cleaned the area around the hole and inserted the plug. I always carry an air compressor too, and hooked that noisy little thing up. The tire slowly inflated.

The plug held for the 200+ mile trip home, and tomorrow I'll make arrangements to find a mechanic who either can wield a sledgehammer better than me, or knows some other trick to break the rust bond or whatever is holding that wheel in place.

That little $10 plug kit and the portable compressor saved me a long walk and a big tow truck bill. I'm sharing this story in hope that maybe it will save one of you the same.

If you loosen your lug nuts and then drive a short distance like around a parking lot it will usually free your wheel from the hub. Just don't loosen your nuts so much that it will damage the studs when it loosens up

I always carry a plug kit as well. I have one in each of my trucks and ATV's. I have used them several times for myself and others.

This weekend I ended up with a punctured tire while headed back to camp after a day of steelhead fishing and shed hunting. I figured it would be no problem, I have changed plenty of flats. After the usual routine of loosening lug nuts, jacking it up and removing the nuts, I was surprised to discover the wheel wouldn't budge. It was like it was welded to the hub.

After whacking it with a sledgehammer, prying at it with a bar from different angles, and exercising my full range of vocabulary, it remained stuck. I was a long way from phone service and a repair shop.

Fortunately, it was a small puncture, about the size a nail might make. For many years I have carried, but never used, one of those sticky-string tire plug kits. After lowering the truck back to the ground, I rolled forward until the puncture was pointing up. I jacked it back up, cleaned the area around the hole and inserted the plug. I always carry an air compressor too, and hooked that noisy little thing up. The tire slowly inflated.

The plug held for the 200+ mile trip home, and tomorrow I'll make arrangements to find a mechanic who either can wield a sledgehammer better than me, or knows some other trick to break the rust bond or whatever is holding that wheel in place.

That little $10 plug kit and the portable compressor saved me a long walk and a big tow truck bill. I'm sharing this story in hope that maybe it will save one of you the same.

I got stuck something like that w/ a farmer/rancher (flat, no spare). I thot we were screwed. He pulled out the same combination. So I bot one for my truck. It's an easy fix and a great idea. It'll hold surprisingly well on a fair size hole, although I generally get a slow leak in the same hole after some miles on it. I rotate and put the patched tire on the right rear in case it wants to let go. But never has.
Also have had trouble getting the lugs off after going thru enough water. So I carry a 1 inch ratchet and correct socket for the lug along with a section of pipe to fit over the ratchet handle to give me all the leverage I need. But have taken to taking the wheels off each sept and using the anti -seize before i head out for the long drive on the NR hunts so i know they will come off.
The truck's got a few miles on it so I also carry a spare alternator. Going to add a belt and hoses to the inventory this fall. Nothing worse that running into probs a long way from home
. Piece of mind if nothing else.

Plug kits are essential in my truck. I've never had one fail and have left them in for the remaining life of the tires.

Not saying it would have worked in your case but I've had good luck with this method. Use the spare tire to get force and hit the welded on tire few times on each side. Pops the thing right off. Good trick in a pinch if you don't have any tools. https://youtu.be/cfKxXaR40IM

+1
You will not have to move very far to get the wheel loose.

If you loosen your lug nuts and then drive a short distance like around a parking lot it will usually free your wheel from the hub. Just don't loosen your nuts so much that it will damage the studs when it loosens up

I've never tried that, but with the lug nuts off you can slowly let the jack down until the tire touches, then a little more. The weight of the vehicle will usually break the bond.

We learned the hard way last November. I helped a friend with his New Mexico off range oryx tag and we had a total of 4 flats the first two days and needless to say we found a Wahlmart and purchased a plug kit. Never again will I not have a plug kit in my truck.

I was on a job site one time and someone came up to me and said it looks like you have a low tire. So I went and found a nail in it. I was able to plug it before it went all the way flat and was able to get to a gas station and air it back up. I never go anywhere without a plug kit.

the hub centric wheels on ford trucks are the worst offenders, I remember Saturday mornings vividly, every old guy with les scwab tires would show up for there free tire rotation, talk about beating the hell out of the rear wheels to remove them, don't think any of them would of been happy driving there truck around, but that is a great idea,,,,

I've never had a tire that wouldn't come off. Wheel hubs, on the other hand, usually need cave man tactics to loosen.

Gotta love aluminium rims on steel hubs.

Been there done that.

Are the newer Fords as bad as say the 02 versions? Never had to change one on my current truck yet (14 f150)

Thanks Chucknduck, and others who mentioned driving a short distance on loose lug nuts. I did that in my driveway and it worked. Before putting it back on, I took Gr8bawana's suggestion and, after sanding the rust off, applied some anti-seize grease.

It's time for new tires. I got another flat Friday. I was hoping to stretch these until September and start hunting season on a new set, but that's not going to work out.

This NM dust will weld any wheel on...lol
My F150 had second rock break in 3 weeks,time for new tires. Had to break the dust seal both times.
Slime can work at times, but the guy changing the tire later will hate you.....

Plugs are fine for some leaks,but not rock breaks.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back