Fishing learning resources

Croz

Hi All,

I've fished very casually for most of my life. The ol' "worm on a hook and throw it off the dock for a trout" type of fishing.

Nowadays, I'm looking to learn more about the different species, different methods and different types of tackle.

What are some of your favorite resources for fishing information? books, websites, magazines, all are welcomed.

Thanks,

Croz

well first off where do u live ? or i should say where do you fish ? what lakes ? And what fish are you targeting ? walleye? pike?

well first off where do u live ? or i should say where do you fish ? what lakes ? And what fish are you targeting ? walleye? pike?

Live in Ellensburg, Washington. We have great trout fishing in the Yakima River, but I'm looking at fishing the mountain lakes and streams. Likely fly fishing, but also interested in rod and real lake fishing. Not sure what to target yet. I've only ever fished for trout. Definitely would like to eat what I catch though.

Besides learning on the water my second favorite place to pick up tips and learn new things is on Youtube. Tons of a great videos on there. Then I'd have to say forums similar to this one, and last would be magazines.

One thing to remember... fish aren't as smart as the fly-fishing crowd would have you believe. ;)

Tackle shops are great places to learn about the local waters. IMO, probably one of the best especially if there are a few guides in/around the place. Most are very willing to gab about fishing, especially in the off season.

I see myself as a novice fisherman, with a garage full of tackle and a boat... Some days I do well, other days I wonder how I manage to not drown. Once you learn a few basics, its all about presentation and what to use during the right time of the year. The amount of tackle and techniques is mind boggling... the one thing they all have in common is some guys thought, maybe I'll try this and see what happens... in that case revert to my opening remark. :D

I'm ready for some soft water fishing, it can't get here soon enough!

If you're from Ellensburg and want to try something different than trout, try Potholes Reservoir, Banks Lake or Moses Lake. All have good fishing for bass, perch and walleye. Whatever you do, DON'T come over to Idaho to fish. The fishing is lousy here and all of the wolves and grizzly bears are now keying in on fishermen. :)

Noted about hanging around tackle shops. We have quite a few guide services around town, so I'll definitely check those out!

and thanks Basal_Area for the recommendations, I'll check those places out and see what happens. Will steer clear of Idaho unless my car conveniently breaks down near a prime fishing river in the coming months...

To kinda echo what bambistew said, flyfishing is not as hard to learn as most flyfishermen want you to believe either. You can get a functional rod and reel combo and some basic tackle and catch all kinds of fish including trout. $250 bucks should get you started plus some waders and a pack or vest. Streamers will catch anything and are easier for novice caster to present. They are easy to cover water quickly and easy.

Noted about hanging around tackle shops. We have quite a few guide services around town, so I'll definitely check those out!

This might go without saying, but don't be afraid to spend a little money in the shop either. Even something as simple as flies, line, tackle, etc can go a long ways. Most times they are willing to share a little more info with you if you drop a little coin in their shop, which only seems fair.

For a variety of warmwater fish give Brownlee Reservoir on the Snake River a try. The crappie and channel cat fishing is the best in the NW. I can teach you a lot in one day. brownleecharters.com

Wow, thanks for all the help all! Fortunately, equipment and tackle aren't an issue as my family has collected fly rods, standard rods, waders, wading boots, etc over the years. just never got that interested as a younger guy.

Will certainly support the local fly/tackle shops with my money. Would feel weird being that random guy that just walks around eavesdropping and looking like he needs company.

Again, thanks for all the resources. In addition to wild harvests like huckleberries this summer, I plan on lowering our grocery budgets with some fish. Fortunately, the wife is more than supportive of that.

Brittany, many thanks for the link. I might have to make it out that way at some point!

If you are going to fly fish, the line makes all the difference. Definitely worth talking to someone who knows fly lines if you plan on going that route.

Funny video.
But seriously, I have no knowlage of any fishing besides trout in rivers and streams, when I was little, like six or so my dad tought me to fish in a little creek full of Browns. We would use a peice of worm on a size 8 hook and walk down stream, we would stand a good distance above a "hole" letting the currant take the bait. At the time I had no idea my dad was one f the best trout fisherman anywhere. He was teaching me to read the river, the importantance of that skill can not be understated. Now I fly fish, have been now for geeze...31 years. And according to my friend who does the bass circuit, reading water is the most important skill a fisherman can have.
Agree/disagree?? Anyone?

Back