Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Fishing Boats

westbranch

We are planning on buying a fishing boat next spring. I have been watching craigslist to get an idea of prices and whats out there. Also searching what we would need/want for a "do it all" boat. Plan on fishing panfish, bass, pike, walleyes, and troll for trout/salmon. Located in Coeur d'Alene ID so a lot of big and small lakes, reservoirs, and rivers nearby.

I had a project boat 10+ years ago and not interested in doing that route again. I have fished out of a variety of boats but don't know much about them.
A couple boats I see listed right now that interest me. It would be great to find something for <$5k, but it looks like I may need to up the budget a little bit.

For the guys that know stuff about boats, do you think these would handle some of the bigger water well? Lake Pend Oreille comes to mind. Any other positives and negatives, other considerations that come to mind?

I don't know a lot about fishing boats other than a boat I fish out of is a fishing boat. My older brother got a fishing boat that he could pull water skier's with it and you couldn't get to the front of the boat, sure was fast. Take a look at some of the bass boats, if you have $20+ laying around for a fishing boat, do you really need all that speed? You really gonna go way out on Pend Oreille? I wouldn't want to be out there in a canoe but don't need the Queen Marry either. I got a boat this year, used and old but with a newer motor. 15' with 2014 20hp Honda motor. $3000! They are out there. It was listed on ifish, NW outdoor site. So first you need to figure out what you really need. Then most boats in the $3k to $5k range usually have older 2 stroke engines on them. If you can even find someone to work on them, it's expensive! I think the motor I got on this new one, 2014 20hp Honda goes used for at least as much as I paid for the boat. Cost of motor's is unGodly! I figure I bought a good motor and they threw in the boat! But if what you really want is a fishing boat, they are out there,usually not reasonable but then sometimes! I would no be crazy about taking my boat way out on Pend Oreille but it's a head thing. Shoot, a kyack will float out there! And then I generally fish fairly close to shore anyway and I never pull skier's! I could in fact make due with a 12' aluminum boat and a 9.9 hp engine for fishing!

When looking at boat I almost always start with the motor, the top my list in regards to dependability is Yamaha, Honda then Suzuki. Living in Minnesota i got to use a lot of different motors and can say that the Yamaha's just never really broke down, also I have a 17' Alumacraft tiller and it's a great boat but does get a little pucker factor for me on large lakes when the wind is blowing (I've taken a couple waves over the bow). The other very important thing to look for around here anyway is that people like to under size the motor for the boat, you want to have the a motor HP at or within 80% of the boats max hp. If you under power the boat it'll have a hard time getting on plain, and not perform as expected.

I agree! New motors are really expensive and the referenced ones are great. Another thing that is important to me is a welded boat vs. riveted. I trailer on a lot of rough roads and rivets will get knocked loose eventually. Big boats are great for big water but they also get caught by wind and are harder to control on small water. A guy just needs several boats!

First thing you will want to decide is what type of fishing will you be doing the most. If the primary use of the boat will be for trolling you will want a boat with a "helm forward" design. This design will allow for more room towards the back of the boat where most of your time will be spent. If you will be spending most of your time fishing for bass, pike, and panfish. Then having more room at the bow of the boat with a nice seat and electric motor will be more useful. Another design issue you will want to look at is the shape of the hull. A deep-V design will handle big water better and not beat you up as much. A flat bottomed design will allow you to fish smaller lakes easier as they will displace less water allowing you to fish the shallows without bottoming out.

Thanks guys! I will start watching the ifish site for listings there. Don't plan on heading too far out on Pend Oreille, I have been out on the south end and the steep mountains and 1k+ ft deep water does make me a bit nervous. We used to fish on lake of the woods in MN miles from shore and that never bothered me :unsure:. On Pend Oreille it would probably be smallies and walleyes on the north side or in the rivers. But being able to catch some kamploops or lakers could be fun, but probably wouldn't be buying the gear for that in the next couple years. Some kokanee on lake CDA should be easier to handle without tons of new gear.

The motor was the problem on my project boat, 1960s evinrude 60 hp. Ran great for one summer and 3 summers of messing around with it. Some of the older boats for 2-3k look pretty good but but might have to spend $5k+ on a upgraded motor. I also get tempted by some of the small boats with a decent small HP motor, we fished out of rowboat with a small motor for years in middle/high school. I've experienced rowing miles back across the lake after the 20+ year old motor died. My wife also wants to spend more time fishing so some of the luxuries will be nice to keep her on the water longer. And I know I will enjoy them as well.

The more I look, I keep going back to that Starcraft linked above. Seems like a nice size and accessories/storage, seems like it should cover the fishing I want to do. Better just keep monitoring whats available, I told myself to wait until next spring.

I was looking for something to replace my Dodge 3/4t w/Cummins in it when fuel prices went crazy. Found a Jeep with bunch of mile's buy good price. Went over and bught it. Friend of mine was shocked I didn't look around more and think about it more. If I had, I would probably have missed that Jeep! Point is, if you seem something you like, seem's in good condition and the price is right, I'd go for it. On hat Jeep the mileage bothered me but for $3000 I could put a new motor in it and still be under the price similar vehicles were going for in that year range. See a boat ya like and comfortable with it, go
for it!

This time of year through March can be the best times to get sellers to deal. When I bought my last boat in 2002 It was in January and -20 outside. A thing to think about is buying when people are not thinking boating and when taxes are do. I got my 1986 19 foot concord with 150 Johnson for $1500 and I have spent about $3000 in upgrades over the years. Also I worked part time at a marina and watched lots of boats sit and not get sold after August.

Back