Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Fish Finder Opinions

Art Vandeley

I'm curious what the fishermen on here like for a fish finder? There are 3-4 (Helix, Garmin, Lowrance, Raymarine) major brands out there, they all have a lot of features that seem good. Not sure if there's one that's way better than the other? Would like a 9"-10" screen for my boat. Mostly would use it for marking fish to see what depth they are at if suspended.

I have had excellent results with the Humminbird Helix series. I use it when trolling for salmon/lakers. I use it to see bait, suspending fish, track the downrigger balls and can actually see a good number of fish come up off the bottom and check out or follow the downrigger balls. THis is all in sonar mode. I do not use down imaging as I was not impressed with it. If I were to upgrade, I would definitely try to get a unit with side imaging as I think it would be useful for finding fish off the sides and maybe make a pass over them next.

I got a 9in lowrance elite ti2 for a good deal at Cabela’s a couples of months ago. It has sonar, side imaging and down imaging. I’ve only been out a few times this year so far, but from what I seen I like it a lot.

I have had excellent results with the Humminbird Helix series. I use it when trolling for salmon/lakers. I use it to see bait, suspending fish, track the downrigger balls and can actually see a good number of fish come up off the bottom and check out or follow the downrigger balls. THis is all in sonar mode. I do not use down imaging as I was not impressed with it. If I were to upgrade, I would definitely try to get a unit with side imaging as I think it would be useful for finding fish off the sides and maybe make a pass over them next.
Seeing the downrigger balls on it would be excellent.

Back when I was fishing bass tournaments I would run Lowrance on both the front and back of the boat. At the time (2006-2010) The technology coming out was insane. I remember using the new technology to locate bait balls with schools of bass actively feeding. I could watch my jig sink down into the ball of shad and see the bass come up at it. I'd know I had a fish on before even feeling it half the time. That technology is old now, and the new stuff coming out is just insane.... and so are the prices!

I fish in the Chesapeake Bay mostly and I am a Garmin fan. My unit is about four years old and I am seriously considering upgrading to include the side view. I have fished with others that have the technology and its pretty sweet once you figure it out. There are a lot of YouTube videos out there to help.

I've got a couple Lowrance Gen3 HDS9s networked and running off of a TotalScan transducer. Tough combo to beat for what I do.
I would highly recommend a unit that has a touchscreen. It makes a world of difference being able to pull pinch and drag instead of using the direction buttons to mark waypoints or search your map.
If you check Russel Marine they have trade in units coming in fairly often that are listed in their Used Section. They only take units in very good condition so you know you're getting a good working one. It's a good option if you are looking to save a little money.

I just upgraded from a older hummingbird to the garmin that is currently on sale at Cabelas. I think its the 73SV or something like that with Echomaps. It's a pretty good setup from what little I have used it so far. Extremely clear and its night and day better trolling.

When I was hot and heavy into Bass fishing I always used Lowrance. Now slowly getting back into to fishing more I have a Garmin unit and a Hummingbird Helix 7. I find them both much easier to use.

I really love the side imaging and down imaging. There is some real crazy stuff out there if you want to spend the money and turn your fishing into a video game.

I've also been happy with my Helix.

If you're tech-savvy and have deep pockets the sky's the limit on the latest technology. The Panoptix livescope system is pretty amazing. I don't like to complicate fishing and use an old Hummingbird 747c. It's a 2d unit so I only know what's below me. I only fish one reservoir and after 19 years of guiding I could probably get by without it but it does save time and my back from anchoring on unproductive structure.

I swore off Lowrance a few years back. I wanted to like them but they were garbage. It seemed like you'd be lucky to get 2-3 seasons on them before they quit working. I switched to Humminbird Helix and have not been disappointed. I have (2) Helix 10s and an older 9 on my boat. They work flawlessly.

There's something to like about all of the major brands also cons. Ive had a few of all them, currently set up with 2 garmin 93 sv. Garmin gets you into a touch screen at a lower price point and is super user friendly, and I really like the ability to build my own maps for lakes that don't have mapping or have inaccuracies. Helix are pretty sweet units and have tons of features and as mentioned pair great with minn Kota. But are picky about the way you set them up. Lowrance may arguably offer the best imaging but you really have to spend the time setting them up and learning how to use the hds series, thir new active target looks like it will be incredible, but damn they are spendy. The elites seem to be a good value. For a fisherman that is just looking for mapping and 2 d sonar you could literally just pick the one that offers the best deal on the largest screen you can manage and be very happy.

If you're tech-savvy and have deep pockets the sky's the limit on the latest technology. The Panoptix livescope system is pretty amazing. I don't like to complicate fishing and use an old Hummingbird 747c. It's a 2d unit so I only know what's below me. I only fish one reservoir and after 19 years of guiding I could probably get by without it but it does save time and my back from anchoring on unproductive structure.
The live scope/active target forward facing live action sonars seem to be incredible for bass fishing. Watch any new MLF or BASS video and those guys are more or less playing video games now. THey see the fish swimming in the brushpile, cast to the fish, watch their jerkbait approach the fish, watch the fish hit the jerkbait then set the hook LOL. I thought the deep drop shotting for smallies was impressive, this is next level.

Can any one tell me what is the advantage of a scimmer transducer for the lowrance for 9 fishfinders. I'm looking to buy a new fishfinder for my boat i mostly fish lake Erie for walleye.

I ended up going with a Helix 9. It is a sweet machine. Still learning how to use every feature which will take some time I'm sure. Here is a photo from the weekend.
I ended up going with a Helix 9. It is a sweet machine. Still learning how to use every feature which will take some time I'm sure. Here is a photo from the weekend.

View attachment 182300

Did you get SI/DI? I find that I rely on them more than 2D unless I'm fishing lakers or kokanee.

On your photo, it looks like a couple trees on 2D sonar to me.

Back