Caribou Gear

Fish Batter/Recipes

JLDemo

Anyone have any homemade fish batter or other recipes they'd share? I have a pile of catfish fillets and separated them in 3 lb bags. Want to play around with different recipes.

Want to try freshwater ceviche as well.

Blackened is one of my favorites!

But a real crowd pleaser is buffalo fillets:
1. Soak fillets in buffalo sauce
2. Coat in flour
3. Fry in 350°F oil

The taste is subtle but a great way to cook them up!

My favorite is too simple. Take a bunch of saltines and crush them in a bag. Mix saltines with whatever seasoning you like. I use old bay and salt. Melt some butter, dip pieces of catfish in the butter, then coat the fish in the seasoned crumbs. Throw them on the grill till done. So simple, but so good.

Personally a big fan of cornmeal and fry. Batter I like to go to a tempera style using really cold water like let ice cubes melt in it then add corn starch tell batter, dip and fry can add whatever spices you want I prefer to sprinkle after fry so spices don’t burn. Makes a real light batter.

Soak fish in beer for about an hour. Mix House Autry batter with a little wheat flour (gives it a little crisp). Roll the filets in the mix and fry. Sprinkle with sea salt when done.

For a crispy coating shake in seasoned flour, dip in egg wash and roll in panko. For a light breading 1 cup of corn flour and a teaspoon each of garlic salt, onion powder, cayenne, basil and salt. For spicier double the cayenne. If the fish has been in the freezer for a couple months or more soak in lemon lime soda for 45 minutes before preparing.

Last edited:
1/3 cup instant potatoes
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
mix together
roll fish in an egg wash,dip it in your seasoning and bake on a greased cooking sheet at 400 degrees for 20 minutes turning them after 10 minutes.
you’ll get a crispy fish dinner with no greasy mess

My favorite is too simple. Take a bunch of saltines and crush them in a bag. Mix saltines with whatever seasoning you like. I use old bay and salt. Melt some butter, dip pieces of catfish in the butter, then coat the fish in the seasoned crumbs. Throw them on the grill till done. So simple, but so good.

Bigjay73 mom must have known my mom. My favorite way to fry fish is with saltines

dredge in flour first - this is the best way go fry anything that is getting a egg wash
dip in beaten egg
coat with crushed saltines with seasoning in it (mostly use either season salt, or a cajun seasoning)
fry and eat till you can't eat anymore

Bigjay73 mom must have known my mom. My favorite way to fry fish is with saltines

dredge in flour first - this is the best way go fry anything that is getting a egg wash
dip in beaten egg
coat with crushed saltines with seasoning in it (mostly use either season salt, or a cajun seasoning)
fry and eat till you can't eat anymore
You're Making me hungry

You're bold with ceviche cats. I'm not a catfish fan to begin with so I'm lacking in that department as it is.

For myself any of those beer battered recipes sound great! I typically do one for my halibut, cod, walleye, and pike and it is fantastic!

The key, and I don't know why but there is a difference as I've tried both, use a good quality beer however it needs to be flat.
Maybe some guru chef type might be able to shed some light why there's a difference... Or debunk the myth I'm beginning :)

It's pretty simple... I use olive oil for frying. No real reason I just think it's healthier, if that's possible to say with anything fried! Haha!

1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons paprika
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1 egg, beaten
1 12oz beer - FLAT.

If the fish has been in the freezer for a couple months or more soak in lemon lime soda for 45 minutes before preparing.
Is this specific for cats or all around? I'm assuming it's to reduce gam-ish flavor? Is this along the lines of soaking in milk?

Soak fish in beer with a few eggs. Use corn flour and cajun seasoning. Louisiana Fish Fry is great if you can get it. It comes seasoned or unseasoned. I just buy seasoned and add a little lemon pepper. Roll fish in the corn flour and let it dry briefly then fry at 350 degrees.

Is this specific for cats or all around? I'm assuming it's to reduce gam-ish flavor? Is this along the lines of soaking in milk?
Especially for cats but we've done it with other white meated fish, ocean and freshwater. Hard to put into words but it kind of makes them pop, freshens them up. When we fry cats with a cornmeal type breading like Zatarain's Fish Fry we soak them in mustard water or even coat them with mustard before breading. That's how we do our catfish tacos.

Not much to add, except try half flour, half bisquick, in any of the above. Seems to lighten up the batter, at least to me.

Catfish - as stated above a very bold choice for ceviche. I usually use white bass for that type of thing. I don't usually bread.
Here's mine.

1. cut cat's into nuggets
2. soak in buttermilk for an hour.
3. cover in Paprika and "Slap yo Mama" cajun seasoning to taste.
4. Melt Irish butter over low heat in a pan and then pan fry.
5. Wrap in a corn tortilla with shredded mexican blend cheese "pico de gallo" salsa or your favorite salsa.
6. you can also top your taco with shredded cabbage that's been marinated in balsamic vinegar with pepper.

For cats I like blackened in cast iron or cajun shore lunch seasoning deep fried.

Here are two I like. The fish n chips one is good, but an artery clogger, so I wouldn't make it a habit.

Slice the catfish into thin fingers.
50/50 mix of Bisquick and cornmeal
Dredge filets through milk first
Plus seasonings
350 degree peanut oil, 8-10 minutes

Fish n chips style
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup while milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 teaspoons black pepper
- canola, sunflower, or peanut oil
Heat oil to 350 degrees. Salt fillets and sprinkle with pepper. Mix flour and baking powder until thick batter is formed. Add pepper to batter. Dip and fry until golden brown.

Beer batter... season fish then coat with corn starch or flour, mix 1 part corn meal with 2 parts flour and then add beer until it’s just thick enough to coat you finger ( thinner than you would think), dredge fish fillets one by one as you drop them into hot grease.... if you get it just right they’re crispy out of the fridge the next day even!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back