Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

First timer in Wyoming...

You realize a SxS won't get your farther off the beaten path, right? The SxS stays ON the beaten path.
Let me rephrase that...

It'll get me further off the road than those lifted Toyota Tacoma guys think they can go. I'm assuming Wyoming has some width restrictions on their trails?

I don't want to spend a day hiking in to have an atv pass me mid afternoon. Ideally don't want to be hanging out by the main roads.

Let me rephrase that...

It'll get me further off the road than those lifted Toyota Tacoma guys think they can go. I'm assuming Wyoming has some width restrictions on their trails?

I don't want to spend a day hiking in to have an atv pass me mid afternoon. Ideally don't want to be hanging out by the main roads.

Id get familiar with the MV use maps showing what trails there are, that may be a valid concern.

I've never hauled a ATV or SxS to elk hunt and it's been the right decision for how I hunt every time (MT/WY/CO) except for one particular late season hunt where the creeks I drove through with my F150 in Sept now had big ice buildups that made them impassable but I could have made it work with a SxS. A trailer/wheeler would be a burden dragging around shitty USFS roads and worrying about it if you weren't using it.

Id get familiar with the MV use maps showing what trails there are, that may be a valid concern.

I've never hauled a ATV or SxS to elk hunt and it's been the right decision for how I hunt every time (MT/WY/CO) except for one particular late season hunt where the creeks I drove through with my F150 in Sept now had big ice buildups that made them impassable but I could have made it work with a SxS. A trailer/wheeler would be a burden dragging around shitty USFS roads and worrying about it if you weren't using it.
Once I make a decision on a unit to pursue, I'd have to dig further into whether a SxS is worth bringing or not. List of options for units to pull a type 9 tag are 32, 36, 53, 59, 60. I can choose either grizz country, cow only in 32, or 36 which there isn't typically grizzlies in the bighorns, and it's an either or tag.

My other option is to change plans and look for a rifle tag. I just imagine 10x the hunters during rifle season.

Once I make a decision on a unit to pursue, I'd have to dig further into whether a SxS is worth bringing or not. List of options for units to pull a type 9 tag are 32, 36, 53, 59, 60. I can choose either grizz country, cow only in 32, or 36 which there isn't typically grizzlies in the bighorns, and it's an either or tag.

My other option is to change plans and look for a rifle tag. I just imagine 10x the hunters during rifle season.
The vast majority of “rifle” tags also allow you to archery hunt.

Let me rephrase that...

You might be underestimating the prevalence of side by sides among Wyoming non-backcountry hunters.

I don't care how big the bulls are, not specifically looking for a trophy! Just want to get my wife into an elk hunt that's going to make her excited to go again!
Pay attention to what snacks she likes, make sure she has comfortable boots, and don't get mad at her for wanting to stop and enjoy a pretty view. Her idea of what's required to make it fun might not be what you expect.
I'm speaking as a woman who knew nothing at all about hunting until getting married, but my husband did a fantastic job of making it enjoyable for me and now I put in for as many tags as he does. Lol that backfired on him!! :D

You might be underestimating the prevalence of side by sides among Wyoming non-backcountry hunters.
I'm sure I am! Like I said it'll be my first Wyoming hunt. Just looking for a decent opportunity. It sounds like 36 has elk, and with looking at maps, it's fairly rugged, but I think it'll be manageable.

My last western hunt was the Selway in Idaho. That was some steep country but certainly somewhere I'd go again.

Pay attention to what snacks she likes, make sure she has comfortable boots, and don't get mad at her for wanting to stop and enjoy a pretty view. Her idea of what's required to make it fun might not be what you expect.
I'm speaking as a woman who knew nothing at all about hunting until getting married, but my husband did a fantastic job of making it enjoyable for me and now I put in for as many tags as he does. Lol that backfired on him!! :D
Oh I know the snack deal!!! She shares the passion for hunting, it just doesn't run quite as deep as it does for me! She enjoys it, and I'm obsessed with it. I know I'm going to want to haul butt up a mountain and she's going to want to take her time. I'm already mentally preparing for slowing down a bit.

In 36 if you can utv to it you won't be alone. Laughed once 12 miles fro. The truck co.ing out on atv, pass a very old guy in a heated enclosed utv cruising looking for elk. He said o ly way he can still elk hunt. I figured "at least he's out there"

The vast majority of “rifle” tags also allow you to archery hunt.
Based on looking into it a bit further, I would love to try and pull a general tag. But with 3 points I'm likely not going to pull one. 36 isn't even guaranteed with 3 points. It was 100% last year, but there's a lot of people with low points like me...

Some rifle tags I can draw are over in 96, 97, and 98 out near Pinedale. I've heard the elk stay pretty high in the wilderness up there until the snow pushes them down.

Might just have to put in for 36 and then have a backup plan in another state in case I don't draw!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back