Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

First timer in Wyoming...

rjthehunter

Looking for any opinions or info on some Wyoming elk hunting. I'm on the fence between 2 units. 32 and 36. Seemingly significantly different units in terms of landscape. I should (maybe) be able to draw either unit depending on what this year looks like in terms of hunters...

Based on the maps, it looks like 32 probably gets pretty busy around a certain mountain during archery season? I'm guessing it's easier to get away from people in 36?

Any insight or advice is greatly appreciated. My wife will be coming with. I can't imagine she will be able to handle the elevation very well. So any tips on helping her prepare for that would be helpful as well!

One good thing about 36 is you can hunt a unit that borders it on the same tag if you are going general. Adds up to a huge area.
I'm planning on going in mid Sept. To my knowledge, that's a hunt type 9 archery only, unit specific; correct? I thought I saw something about a general archery but couldn't find any additional info on it.

I'm planning on going in mid Sept. To my knowledge, that's a hunt type 9 archery only, unit specific; correct? I thought I saw something about a general archery but couldn't find any additional info on it.
Area 36 has a general and a type 9 season. The type 9 is only valid in 36, but the general is valid for all general seasons/areas.

Make note that 32 type 9 is cow only.

Area 36 has a general and a type 9 season. The type 9 is only valid in 36, but the general is valid for all general seasons.

Make note that 32 type 9 is cow only.
The general is a rifle tag that starts mid October right? That would cross 32 off my list then. I'm not being picky, but chasing buguling bulls sounds more fun!

See below, you can hunt with both weapons on gen. Only archery on type 9

FWIW. The parts of 36 I’ve been in are very rugged, tough access and lots of thick dark timber.
View attachment 259749
I noticed how thick and dark a lot of the unit looked. There is some better looking areas that are fairly open compared to a lot of it.

My other options are units in grizz country which I'm not super thrilled on taking my wife there for her first western hunt.

I noticed how thick and dark a lot of the unit looked. There is some better looking areas that are fairly open compared to a lot of it.

My other options are units in grizz country which I'm not super thrilled on taking my wife there for her first western hunt.
If you don’t have many points and want to burn them this year, why not get a type 4 cow tag in a unit with lots of elk and good access? Lots of people are wrapped up in the “chance” to shoot a bull, but the low point bull tags are usually low point for a reason. That said, you may get extremely lucky and prove me wrong.

If you don’t have many points and want to burn them this year, why not get a type 4 cow tag in a unit with lots of elk and good access? Lots of people are wrapped up in the “chance” to shoot a bull, but the low point bull tags are usually low point for a reason. That said, you may get extremely lucky and prove me wrong.
This is going to make me sound like a snob, but I'm looking for something more exciting... Hoping to plan it for when elk are buguling and still very vocal. I'm not looking for a guaranteed kill, I could grab a late season leftover cow rifle tag if I wanted to go that route.

2021 had a 26.1% success rate, which is pretty good considering the points required to draw. I don't care how big the bulls are, not specifically looking for a trophy! Just want to get my wife into an elk hunt that's going to make her excited to go again!

This is going to make me sound like a snob, but I'm looking for something more exciting... Hoping to plan it for when elk are buguling and still very vocal. I'm not looking for a guaranteed kill, I could grab a late season leftover cow rifle tag if I wanted to go that route.

2021 had a 26.1% success rate, which is pretty good considering the points required to draw. I don't care how big the bulls are, not specifically looking for a trophy! Just want to get my wife into an elk hunt that's going to make her excited to go again!
There are many type 4 tags in easy to draw units that rifle hunt when there will be plenty of rutting action. I wouldn’t rule these out.

There are many type 4 tags in easy to draw units that rifle hunt when there will be plenty of rutting action. I wouldn’t rule these out.
I'll have to do some more digging! Thanks for the insight!

I'm certainly not against rifle hunting, but the rutting action would be icing in the cake!

I've never hunted 36 on a type 9, but general you will see lots of camps. It also means the bighorns and trails so an atv,utv is needed. That said I've found buglibg bulls in 36 just not lots. Once rifle opens its a mad house

Be ready to walk

So my understanding with type 9 tags is that they limit you to archery only. The majority of the LE tags tags and the general allow you to get the archery stamp and hunt archery the month of September and then rifle also if needed.

Regarding the altitude, if there if any way possible, arrive to the area early and try to get acclimated to the elevation. Don't know how asthma would complicate things but breathing gets hard above 9000' if you live at 1500-2000'. Staying hydrated is one of the critical things that can be done to help alleviate the effects of altitude sickness.

So my understanding with type 9 tags is that they limit you to archery only. The majority of the LE tags tags and the general allow you to get the archery stamp and hunt archery the month of September and then rifle also if needed.

Regarding the altitude, if there if any way possible, arrive to the area early and try to get acclimated to the elevation. Don't know how asthma would complicate things but breathing gets hard above 9000' if you live at 1500-2000'. Staying hydrated is one of the critical things that can be done to help alleviate the effects of altitude sickness.
Heck I live here at 5000' and breathing gets harder at 8000'! 🥴😁

I've never hunted 36 on a type 9, but general you will see lots of camps. It also means the bighorns and trails so an atv,utv is needed. That said I've found buglibg bulls in 36 just not lots. Once rifle opens its a mad house

Be ready to walk
I should be able to line up a SxS for the trip. Planning on bringing that with to help get further off the beaten path.

There's no guarantee I pull the tag. Just trying to get an idea of the unit. As of now, I'm planning on putting in for 36 as my first choice.

We certainly won't be going above 9,000'. I'd like to keep it below 8,000'.

So can you archery hunt Sept with a general tag? I don't think I'm even in the running for a general tag with 3 points.

I should be able to line up a SxS for the trip. Planning on bringing that with to help get further off the beaten path.

There's no guarantee I pull the tag. Just trying to get an idea of the unit. As of now, I'm planning on putting in for 36 as my first choice.
You realize a SxS won't get your farther off the beaten path, right? The SxS stays ON the beaten path.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back