First time Colorado hunt. Gear list check.

Tufrthnails

Hunting Second Rifle I have a muley buck tag and bear tag in my hand. My brother has a bull tag and muley buck tag. We are hunting units 18, 28, 37, and 371. Although unless something crazy happens we will mostly be in 18 and 28. Being first timers I'd like some input on my gear it's pretty much what I'm thinking is the basics. We will be camping at the truck unless we decide to spike out a night, which weather will have to cooperate for that to happen.
Tent nothing special typical colman style and tarp. back up plan is sleeping in the truck if it gets too cold for my brother.
Sleeping bag I have a 3 part .MIL sleep system.
volcano mini burner
we also have an old school colman camp stove.
I'm not worried about clothing I have an assortment of merino base layers, mid layers and outers.
Rain gear is gortex and frog toggs for the light stuff
Boots are Crispi Summit
backups are my Irish setter Snakeboots
Socks are a mix of darn tough, smartwool, and a few other merino based socks
Field dressing: Black ovis game bags, Havalon Piranta, my favorite little buck fixed blade I'll have other knives at camp
Pack is a MR Selway 62 with kifaru gun bearer and a MR mule I can switch out. My brother is using a friends Meat hauler frame and reg backpack for day pack.
Pretty good First aid bag at camp and homemade quick kit I'll have in my pack.
Binos are Redfield Rebel 10x42s can't remember the tripod made i've rigged up a strap system to hold the binos I've used in KY glassing public.
Nikon Prostaff 3 16-48x60
Nikon prostaff rangefinder
Trekking poles
Navigation: OnX on my phone and my Garmin 62 stc for backup along with tried and true compass and maps
Will have the normal camp tools my brother is bringing from his gear when he camps I'm going to be going over it once I arrive and may be making a run to the store for anything I might want to add.
Truck is 4x4 and we have chains.
Regular Coleman extreme coolers, brother has a hookup on ice so they will be topped off and should last us no problem.

Last edited:
Weather can vary greatly... could be warm during the day, could be snow - so prepare for everything... guessing it’s on your more detailed clothing list but bring a stocking cap and gloves and also pack of baby wipes.... good luck!

Weather can vary greatly... could be warm during the day, could be snow - so prepare for everything... guessing it’s on your more detailed clothing list but bring a stocking cap and gloves and also pack of baby wipes.... good luck!
Ty yes I have gloves, stocking cap, balaclava, and full face masks.

First aid kit? Moleskin, Tylenol, I like to bring baby powder. Space blanket. You got the big stuff covered well but I suggest writing yourself a much more detailed checklist before your hunt. Us hunters like to obsess over the small differences between mystery ranch or Exo. Or Nikon vs Vortex. The truth is those differences can effect your hunt a whole lot less than forgetting a $5 bottle of Tylenol or spare batteries for the headlamp.

Cots, pads, and a Buddy heater (with a CO detector) will make camp much more comfortable.

Will also need a saw to remove skull cap or some plan to get brains out of skulls.

First aid kit? Moleskin, Tylenol, I like to bring baby powder. Space blanket. You got the big stuff covered well but I suggest writing yourself a much more detailed checklist before your hunt. Us hunters like to obsess over the small differences between mystery ranch or Exo. Or Nikon vs Vortex. The truth is those differences can effect your hunt a whole lot less than forgetting a $5 bottle of Tylenol or spare batteries for the headlamp.
Thanks yes First aid/meds is covered. I was a CLS during my army days so I'm comfortable with most medical situations (saw a wide variety assisting the medics and PAs at times) if it's worse then I can handle we are evacing. I do have a much more indepth spreadsheet for myself, but I din't want to overload my post. I guess you guys are probably used to long gear check posts.

Last edited:
Two tow straps. Tire plug kit. Air pump. Battery booster. Cell phone booster.
Great suggestions. Adding those to the list for my brother to check before I get there. I have anker for charging one the move, but is their a signal booster I don't know about?

Cots, pads, and a Buddy heater (with a CO detector) will make camp much more comfortable.

Will also need a saw to remove skull cap or some plan to get brains out of skulls.
We have yoga style pads for sleeping on. But we don't have a buddy heater. That is something I need to see about. We have talked about getting one for our Nov KY hunts anyways. As far as skull prep. My brother has a propane fish fryer and big pot. It's how we do the buck skulls in KY. Skin hide off skull and simmer picking loose stuff, repeat.

We have yoga style pads for sleeping on. But we don't have a buddy heater. That is something I need to see about. We have talked about getting one for our Nov KY hunts anyways. As far as skull prep. My brother has a propane fish fryer and big pot. It's how we do the buck skulls in KY. Skin hide off skull and simmer picking loose stuff, repeat.
I'm telling you though.. there is no going back to a yoga mat after a few nights on a quality cot.

After multiple decades of no cots when car camping, I don't know what I was thinking. Cots changed my archery hunting game because I actually sleep for more than 2-3h at a stretch and August/Sept days are really long so every minute counts. Same with the Buddy heater (which I gave in on to my wife and a 'cold' sleeping buddy of mine).

and also pack of baby wipes.... good luck!
LIke 3-4 packs if you're staying a week. Plus Hand Sanitizer. I buy the multi-packs from Costco now.

Adds:

Chainsaw (+ fuel, B&C Oil, tools) - Obviously makes firewood a breeze but also can get you quickly past down trees on the road
Splitting Ax
Folding tables for meal prep/general use

I'm telling you though.. there is no going back to a yoga mat after a few nights on a quality cot.
Yeah I know I have 5 of them, but I'm flying in and mine are the military style. I love my XL cot with a 2" memory foam pad. It goes with me all over FL and KY, but I have plenty of room in my enclosed trailer for those luxuries.

Reactions: LCH
After multiple decades of no cots when car camping, I don't know what I was thinking. Cots changed my archery hunting game because I actually sleep for more than 2-3h at a stretch and August/Sept days are really long so every minute counts. Same with the Buddy heater (which I gave in on to my wife and a 'cold' sleeping buddy of mine).

LIke 3-4 packs if you're staying a week. Plus Hand Sanitizer. I buy the multi-packs from Costco now.

Adds:

Chainsaw (+ fuel, B&C Oil, tools) - Obviously makes firewood a breeze but also can get you quickly past down trees on the road
Splitting Ax
Folding tables for meal prep/general use
Hadn't thought about the chainsaw. Need to see if my brother has access to one. He has a plastic folding table for camp.

You guys are awesome thanks for the input. I will update my first post with a more detailed list off my spreadsheet when I get time to tonight.

Ive had good luck with the buddy heaters. I had the big buddy for 10-12 years before it died. Ended up getting 2 little buddy heaters and using a splitter to run them off a 20lb tank.

Treking poles I need to figure out. I use a 2" but pad that straps to the bottom of my pack.
I like a trekking pole in one hand and my bipod in the other to double as a trekking pole. It’s not for everybody, but it has helped me fill a tag in the past.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back